Login

russian armor

Adding tanks that are not unique but blend elements?

18 Jan 2017, 23:07 PM

Hello and I hope you are all doing well!

With the winter patch coming out, I was thinking of new content that could further bolster the roster of units available in the game. Whenever the meta for the new patch is done settling in, I think it would be an opportune chance to once again revitalize the game by doing so. What would be ideal is simply adding new commanders that improve existing factions, rather than a whole new faction entirely.

On that note, I want to add that I think it's very dangerous to add an entirely new unit that includes some new gimmick which may or may not upset balance of the meta. Instead I was hoping of adding units that are based on existing mechanisms, trading off one thing or another to add an illusion of a new variety.

For example, Soviet heavy tanks are plenty, though most are pocketed in the extreme prices (IS-2), or considered incredibly situational (ISU-152, KV-8, KV-2) or inefficient (KV-1). On that note, I felt it wouldn't be a bad idea to introduce particular mixtures of tanks with some efficient traits to tanks that are bad in general like the (KV-1) and up it just enough to return some of the existing charm. For example, KV-1 remains untouched, but a new commander could include the new KV-85, which by stats can simply be a KV-1 with the upped gun, allowing it to contest against medium armor effectively without becoming too strong due to its slow movement as well as underwhelming armor. It's new in a sense, not entirely overpowered, and can be subject to changes such as price and timing penalties that make sure it doesn't show up at an un-counterable time. KV-85 in the design, would simply be a reliable, defensive heavy tank that can soak damage and return an amount that isn't unreliable like the KV-1.

Another example I had was pioneers for the ostheer could be further improved at a higher tier such as T4 that allows them to include a heavy package like the British Royal Guards, or perhaps adopt a similar stat to sturmpioneers, signalling the heightened battle phases. In exchange, there could be slower move speed to penalize the exchange for greater firepower, or removing particular utilities to suggest transition from one kind of unit to another.

It's a bit self indulgent to make up new units, but it's been a thought that had been bugging me lately. This forum is more or less the place to get it off the chest so here it is.
19 Jan 2017, 00:08 AM

You can definitely get it off your chest here. However I think there's a pretty strong sentiment that new commanders featuring any sort of 'new' unit is not an avenue that will improve gameplay.

The pio upgrade into sturmpios (or whatever) isn't too crazy an idea. But then again, pioneers are the only unit Ostheer has to repair vehicles. Unlike Royal Engineers which tend to be defending and repairing emplacements, pioneers tend to have to stay mobile to get to retreating vehicles. Ostheer has no forward retreat points either, so any sort of mobility restriction on pioneers would be brutal.
19 Jan 2017, 00:15 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Shouldn't existing units that are clearly underperforming, like the KV-1, be fixed before adding new stuff?
19 Jan 2017, 07:32 AM

Shouldn't existing units that are clearly underperforming, like the KV-1, be fixed before adding new stuff?

Relic already have your money from that particular doctrine, why would they go back to it?

Just add new commanders that the are exclusive to the playstore and can't be bought with loot points, easy money from the mindless paying for new OP shit drones that are most of this game's playerbase.

If they weren't Relic wouldn't have the money to continue making bullshit decisions in their future games like for example the bubble shields and probably pay to win elite units from Dawn of War 3.
nee
24 Jan 2017, 18:37 PM

I'd prefer if the KV-85 idea was just a KV-1 with the upgrade. Would make that single commander remotely more appealing, though of course the problem remains that KV-1 isn't found anywhere else.
But the idea of integrating these new ideas into existing units avoids the need to design new units that would compete with existing units (as is the case with all commander units), provided the ideas don't expand their roles, like straight upgunning a vehicle.
heck if you really want to stretch it, the upgrade exists for the KV-8 too.

Of course all that is useless since this game is all but officially abandoned.
24 Jan 2017, 18:42 PM

#OutOfScope
24 Jan 2017, 18:48 PM
Donator 11

Most of us would like to see new things added to the game but there is simply nobody to add them. Modders can't create models. Models are in fact very expensive and it is very unlikely relic is going to add any more.

The only reasonable possibility would be adding some doctrines based on a mix of units and abilities we already have. KV-1 is a good example as it is in only one doctrine. Don't know if relic is willing to add anything more now though.
25 Jan 2017, 03:30 AM

Osteer only need non-doctrine light tank or "PzIII"
25 Jan 2017, 04:52 AM

+1 for more tanks and unit diversity...
But as others said,this game is abandoned,best bet would be if Lelic would allow the modding/balance team to create new commanders with what we have already...
25 Jan 2017, 21:11 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

25 Jan 2017, 22:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jan 2017, 21:11 PMTobis

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

United States 127
Germany 4
unknown 3
unknown 1

Ladders Top 10