Login

russian armor

Commander(s?) with camo ability

16 Jan 2017, 06:29 AM

I don't play wear that often, but I find it much more fun than okw, if harder. But I've always wondered about that one commander ability that lets you upgrade your infantry to be able to camouflage in cover. This sounds sooooooo fun in my mind. I'm imagining an mg42 and a often squad just opening fire out of nowhere like commandos or some shit (but with way better guns). However, I think I played against this ability once ever, and I don't have the commander for it, but could buy with supply. Is this ability/commander decent or worth it?
16 Jan 2017, 06:29 AM

Because seriously, it sounds so fun.
16 Jan 2017, 07:10 AM

wear

Took me some time to figure out what this meant. You people like to disfigure names, don't you.

On topic:
Ostheer infantry camo can be very useful for:

(1) Avoiding unfavourable engagements by using the Hold Fire option;
(2) Not being subject of mortar/sniper fire as your units are hidden;
(3) Having improved situational awareness as your infantry can scout around if there is enough cover to keep them in camo+hold fire;
(4) Improving survivability of HMG teams in mid/late game by hiding them in cover;
(5) Having higher damage output on units via a five-second damage bonus when coming out of camo.

Finally, the Storm doctrine -- one of the two doctrines with the ability -- comes with the universally useful Riegel mines, Tactical Movement and Stuka bombing strike abilities in addition to the LeFH, which can also be nice in certain situations.

The other doctrine (Jaeger Infantry) is also nice for upgrading infantry with even more abilities/equipment: squads receive G43s in addition to camo and Tactical Movement, while arty barrage and Stuka AT strafe help with various emergencies.
16 Jan 2017, 13:44 PM

Jaeger Infantry doctrine is fun but requires a ton of munition to be used at full potential. Camo + upgrades cost a lot.

Note that having the arty barrage + stuka air support on a single doctrine is a really good combo, both are really good.
16 Jan 2017, 13:50 PM

Yeah munitions is an issue with both doctrines, but on the other hand it's a matter of priorities -- improving the poor survivability of Ostheer infantry via camos would always be high on my list.
16 Jan 2017, 13:58 PM

Took me some time to figure out what this meant. You people like to disfigure names, don't you.

On topic:

(3) Having improved situational awareness as your infantry can scout around if there is enough cover to keep them in camo+hold fire;
(4) Improving survivability of HMG teams in mid/late game by hiding them in cover;
(5) Having higher damage output on units via a five-second damage bonus when coming out of camo.

Finally, the Storm doctrine -- one of the two doctrines with the ability -- comes with the universally useful Riegel mines, Tactical Movement and Stuka bombing strike abilities in addition to the LeFH, which can also be nice in certain situations.

The other doctrine (Jaeger Infantry) is also nice for upgrading infantry with even more abilities/equipment: squads receive G43s in addition to camo and Tactical Movement, while arty barrage and Stuka AT strafe help with various emergencies.

Whoops. I typed this on my phone and autocorrect probably got to it. How much does the camo upgrade cost? Also, do you have any preference of one doctrine over the other or are they pretty much equal?
16 Jan 2017, 14:19 PM

Whoops. I typed this on my phone and autocorrect probably got to it. How much does the camo upgrade cost? Also, do you have any preference of one doctrine over the other or are they pretty much equal?

Camo costs 30MN.

The two doctrines I find a bit different - Storm promotes Riegel mine usage and doesn't give your Grenadiers any automatic/semiautomatic weapons to fire on the move, so it's somewhat more defensive than the Jaeger Infantry with its G43s and arty that can dislodge team weapons to assist your attacks.

On the other hand, having two abilities in common means they're not that different, especially if you use Panzergrenadiers who have automatic weapons to fire on the move.
16 Jan 2017, 14:31 PM

Camo costs 30MN.

The two doctrines I find a bit different - Storm promotes Riegel mine usage and doesn't give your Grenadiers any automatic/semiautomatic weapons to fire on the move, so it's somewhat more defensive than the Jaeger Infantry with its G43s and arty that can dislodge team weapons to assist your attacks.

On the other hand, having two abilities in common means they're not that different, especially if you use Panzergrenadiers who have automatic weapons to fire on the move.

Huh 30 muni is pretty cheap, but I see how the costs could pile up. Thanks for the commander analysis. Although, riegel mines kind of overlap with teller mines right? Just that they're like the m20 mines that immobilize, and tellers do more damage. Storm sounds kinda better for dragging team games since it gets Stuka bombs and lefH just from what I've seen. I'm kinda surprised that I haven't seen more people using this camo upgrade though.
16 Jan 2017, 14:42 PM

riegel mines kind of overlap with teller mines right? Just that they're like the m20 mines that immobilize, and tellers do more damage

True, but that immobilisation factor is often crucial if your AT forces need to be brought up to the frontline in time to kill the tank before it escapes (also thinking about the engine damage repair ability the Allies have). I'm also not sure Tellers do more damage than Riegels.

Here's a little GIF story on how my Riegels meant a Pershing couldn't escape my teammate's Panthers in a recent match: GIF 1 / GIF 2 / GIF 3 / GIF 4

Another difference I find useful is that you lay Riegels with halftracks, which can reach positions much faster than Pios. Having 251s do the mining work also frees up the latter for repair/building work.

I'm kinda surprised that I haven't seen more people using this camo upgrade though.

I find most people look for major abilities/units like Tiger/Elefant when choosing doctrines. I on the other hand find it more useful and fun to augment non-doctrinal teching/units with subtle abilities like the ones we've been discussing here.
16 Jan 2017, 15:13 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

1. Jaeger Infantry Doctrine: as stated above, it is heavy in munition's cost. If used, aggressively take munitions points.

2. Storm Doctrine: More like ambush doctrine. Regal At mines do immobilize crits, not heavy engine damage or engine damage. The artillery piece can be nice if your opponent does not have any off map artillery, but it is expensive and usually not worth. This doctrine also has stuka dive bomb. A good way to spend extra munitions.

Note ambush camouflage can also apply to panzergrens and MG 42. The panzergrens can also still have their panzerschrecks, and MG 42 can be set to hold fire until the right moment.

Stormtroopers also start out with camouflage. Stormtrooper are little to expensive at the moment (340mp inftration unit) but, they can be very good. Stormtroopers start out with grenadier rifles, but can upgrade to STG 44s and gain the ability of tactical assault. They can also upgrade to doctrinal g43s (equal to grens) or a single panzershreck. Two doctrines have stormtroopers.

1. Encirclement. Definitely one of the hardest commanders to play and most map dependent. This doctrine's key feature is Close the Pocket. Any CUT OFF territories with obliterated by artillery/airstrikes/mortars. Even the heaviest tanks will die. It will take the entire game to prepare for this. The enemy does have time to react to this. They can reconnect supply, or get out the territories. They can also build cashes to help prevent cutoffs.

2 Elite Troops: While the Tiger Ace is situational and mostly not worth it. The G43s, stun grenades (best grenades in the game), panzer tactician really does help.
16 Jan 2017, 17:20 PM

I'm actually interested to test if camoed vet1 HMG team on Hold Fire can reload to incendiary rounds before breaking their camo and opening up on enemy.
16 Jan 2017, 18:55 PM

On topic:

This.

Fun fact, that boost is applied to weapon damage so pgren squad with schrecks will kill t34/76 in 1 blow when they use camouflage and cover attack bonus ;). Not 100% sure but should work. And if not, second blow will finish it off. You will surely launch second blow becuase enemy t34/76 will be really near to your squad when you fire for the first time and also he won´t know about that ambush.

And best its ofcourse with riegel.

Also second commader is fun. Hidden units scouting for stuka close air support. Shame ostheer cannot play without puma/tiger right now against OP allies
16 Jan 2017, 19:56 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Fun fact, that boost is applied to weapon damage so pgren squad with schrecks will kill t34/76 in 1 blow when they use camouflage and cover attack bonus ;). Not 100% sure but should work. And if not, second blow will finish it off. You will surely launch second blow becuase enemy t34/76 will be really near to your squad when you fire for the first time and also he won´t know about that ambush.

The ambush modifier only applies an accuracy increase by 50%. It does not effect the damage, only the DPS.
16 Jan 2017, 21:09 PM

The ambush modifier only applies an accuracy increase by 50%. It does not effect the damage, only the DPS.

Thx. Idk why I remember this then
2 Feb 2017, 14:55 PM

Also second commader is fun. Hidden units scouting for stuka close air support. Shame ostheer cannot play without puma/tiger right now against OP allies

This is clearly the issue right now. Looking forward with the WBP, to see if the survivability boost (aka spacing change) will make Ostheer squads more interesting to camo.
Actually the camo really worth it on a couple of HMG42 it make them really difficult to take off and is kite amazing late game when you fight for the vp points and both sides have few units left.
2 Feb 2017, 18:21 PM

I thought I read somewhere that the Ambush accuracy bonus from the camo was bugged where it wasn't consistently triggering? I could be wrong.

It's a neat ability - one fun way to use it is to put it on P Grens and then use the Camo to spring grenade ambushes on capping squads your opponent isn't paying attention too - similar to how some Brits use Commandos.

Like others have said the ability mostly suffers from being in Commanders which are only so-so in overall utility compared to the usual Meta commanders you see. (Call-in Armor almost always reigns supreme in commander choice)
3 Feb 2017, 22:31 PM

I thought I read somewhere that the Ambush accuracy bonus from the camo was bugged where it wasn't consistently triggering? I could be wrong.

It's a neat ability - one fun way to use it is to put it on P Grens and then use the Camo to spring grenade ambushes on capping squads your opponent isn't paying attention too - similar to how some Brits use Commandos.

Like others have said the ability mostly suffers from being in Commanders which are only so-so in overall utility compared to the usual Meta commanders you see. (Call-in Armor almost always reigns supreme in commander choice)

I think the ambush for commandos is really bugged so the ost one might be as well. Funny though, I almost never use commanders with callin armor ezcept for the heavy cavalry company for usf, and only very rarely.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★