Login

russian armor

Rotation rate of Churchill heavy tank

15 Jan 2017, 22:37 PM

I often asked myself during game play whether it is a grafic bug that the Churchill tank turns so fast as a heavy tank.

Now I finally checked the game data and I was astonished to see that it actually seems related to the vehicle stats: The rotation rate of the Churchill/AVRE is 32/35 (!), which is nearly as nimble and fast as a light tank like the Stuart (40).

For comparison:
Comet(36)
Centaur (28)
Panther (30)
Tiger (24)
K.Tiger (25)
Brumbar, turretless (24)
Sturmtiger, turretless (22)

I am pretty sure this value should not be 32/35 but was meant to be 22/25 which would perfectly fit into the data structure of the other tanks among all factions.

A slow heavy tank of 1400 hitpoints should not be able to dance like a prima donna. Just no. Currently this is true for all heavy tanks - but one.
15 Jan 2017, 23:12 PM

British tanks are op as fuck, more news at 11!
16 Jan 2017, 07:37 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jan 2017, 23:12 PMJoeH
British tanks are op as fuck, more news at 11!

Nah, Axis fanboys are just crying because of the Cromwell's speed and the Comet's sort of cheapness, altho losing one is a bigger HT blow than losing a Panther.

But I mean it's a 1945 heavy Cruiser tank that saw limited action during the war, it's meant to outperform the Panther.
16 Jan 2017, 09:32 AM

I often asked myself during game play whether it is a grafic bug that the Churchill tank turns so fast as a heavy tank.

Now I finally checked the game data and I was astonished to see that it actually seems related to the vehicle stats: The rotation rate of the Churchill/AVRE is 32/35 (!), which is nearly as nimble and fast as a light tank like the Stuart (40).

For comparison:
Comet(36)
Centaur (28)
Panther (30)
Tiger (24)
K.Tiger (25)
Brumbar, turretless (24)
Sturmtiger, turretless (22)

I am pretty sure this value should not be 32/35 but was meant to be 22/25 which would perfectly fit into the data structure of the other tanks among all factions.

A slow heavy tank of 1400 hitpoints should not be able to dance like a prima donna. Just no. Currently this is true for all heavy tanks - but one.

It's probably a mistake. But when the tank is actually going to be used and is an actual threat on the battlefield (rather then just a punching bag) that's when the rotation speed will be addressed.
It's also worth mentioning that the historic tank was actually pretty good at rotating due to how its gearbox was designed.
16 Jan 2017, 10:25 AM

the historic tank was actually pretty good at rotating due to how its gearbox was designed.

This. Tank weight alone doesn't determine its turn/pivot rate. The Tigers were known for high pivot rate for instance, so weight shouldn't be the factor preventing Churchills from doing the same in principle.
16 Jan 2017, 11:57 AM

This. Tank weight alone doesn't determine its turn/pivot rate. The Tigers were known for high pivot rate for instance, so weight shouldn't be the factor preventing Churchills from doing the same in principle.

Well, you mention the Tiger's high traverse rating. In game data this translates to 24. Clearly the 32/35 of the Churchill needs to be checked then.

16 Jan 2017, 12:02 PM

Except the Tiger has a good gun and armour, the Churchill does not. When the Churchill changes for the better, the rotation speed will be nerfed, but until then, it's fine as it is.
Also, the only tank to the game that fills the same role as the Churchill is the KV-1. Which has a rotation rate of 30.
Plus the Tiger is a much larger tank and puts a larger strain on it's gearbox then the Churchill does.
16 Jan 2017, 12:12 PM

Well, you mention the Tiger's high traverse rating. In game data this translates to 24. Clearly the 32/35 of the Churchill needs to be checked then.

Or the other way around.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 59
Russian Federation 43

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak