Login

russian armor

Pak40's don't fit my playstyle.

14 Jan 2017, 13:53 PM

Just curious as to what I'm missing out on. I swear I haven't built a Pak40 in over a year, and I've put in a ton of hours since then.

Like the only time I would opt for a Pak40 is if I'm totally starved of fuel, and often enough those rounds are lost anyways, regardless if I kill a tank or two, that it's a non-issue.

I just got annoyed with how often my Pak 40's would die, or need healed and reinforced, or when decrewed, repaired and recrewed compared to say StuG's which just need repaired. The Pak40's would become a MP drain, and seemed to be easily countered.

Add in that the HT no longer can on the field reinforce, and I need to have a reinforce bunker nearby, or to crew, retreat a gren squad, and retreat the Pak40 to get the 4th member of the crew, it just doesn't seem as viable.

The Panzergrens are also a bit of a MP drain, and a muni drain too if you lose the squad, however they basically got the best infantry handheld AT weapon in the game, not to mention 360 degrees of traverse, and they insta fire off a barrage of schreck rounds upon entering a house, which I've killed low health Pershing's before using this strategy.

The StuG seems to be the ultimate tank killer, and fits my playstyle the best, you can pop them out relatively cheaply and a mass of StuG's can destroy a lot of Allied armor, so long as you have spotters in front so that they get the first shots off.

So I'm not building the Pak40 anymore, what am I missing out on?
14 Jan 2017, 14:01 PM

So I'm not building the Pak40 anymore, what am I missing out on?

The mental fear that thing portrays on your opponents. I don't know about you, but when I face a pak 40, I will be way more careful than when I know there isn't one. If my opponent gets it to vet 1, I don't come near the same postal code as that thing lol.
15 Jan 2017, 20:50 PM

Pak 40 arrives a lot sooner than a StuG, and is a nice counter to light vehicle spam.

If you are holding all fuel, you will often be starved of muni, and 120muni on Panzer Grens for Shek upgrade is just no enough.
Fausts are OK, but take too long to kill a vehicle.

Also, that critical shot can mean life or death for a tank
16 Jan 2017, 10:06 AM

Add in that the HT no longer can on the field reinforce

Hum? My 251s reinforce team weapons and infantry on the field just fine.
11 Apr 2017, 23:23 PM

I kind of understand where you're coming from, PAK40 against a good player is hard to use right so below is how I deal with it atm.
Reinforcing and healing is not really a problem. It is in your mind only. PAK40 doesn't fight like infantry squads so it's not that important. Yes it would be perfect if they have full health and full squad but it's not that important, just keep an engineer nearby to recrew it.
I personally prefer PGs with schreks but in some cases they don't do the job( the super OP AA truck or maxims everywhere).
In late game make at least one if he has more than one tank, or it will be very hard to survive.
Also the mental factor is pretty big too.
So my priority is :
1. well place teller
2. PG with schreks
3. PAK40
12 Apr 2017, 01:18 AM

The mental fear that thing portrays on your opponents. I don't know about you, but when I face a pak 40, I will be way more careful than when I know there isn't one. If my opponent gets it to vet 1, I don't come near the same postal code as that thing lol.

+1

Although, with all the factions I play with, I rarely ever field at guns, except on the rare occasion that I skip the aec as brits (which I'll probably be doing much more now that it's been nerfed hard). I find that pressure is a much better solution, even as ostheer most of the time, and if I really fall that far behind, it's usually game over anyway.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★