Login

russian armor

Relic Winter Balance Preview v1.5 Update

PAGES (11)down
20 Jan 2017, 11:16 AM

Because it adds depth to gameplay. Not all cover is created equal and having a player understand when it is important to be in cover vs not is really important.

I see. So why not adding even more depth to gameplay and reduce the HE damage reduction of green cover? See your logical misconception?

Increasing the difference in protection level between moving in the open and yellow cover in favour of the former does not increase depth. It perverts the original idea of the cover system by making (yellow) cover even less desireable compared to moving in the open.

Yellow cover needs to have some effect against HE. It's ridiculous that in a WW2 themed game craters for example dont give any cover against shelling.

Another option would be to include a tool tip like this:

"In contrary to any normal person would think in the world of CoH yellow marked cover like craters have no effect on HE whatsoever. Yellow cover in context of HE is just a fake gimmick and supposed to confuse the naive noob. Under shelling it is suggested to let your troops happily run around in the open and avoid yellow cover at all costs because, as everyone knows, moving upright is much better than ducking in cover when under HE fire."
20 Jan 2017, 11:47 AM

It tends to be direct hits that kill squads with mortars, a direct hit into a crater is not going to leave that crater protecting you.
20 Jan 2017, 14:22 PM

I think it's worth noting that you can't really move from cover to cover under mortar fire auto attack.

Auto attacking mortars chase units wherever they go in sight and range. It's not like when a unit is attacked by a mortar they are always being barraged. Moving from a mortar shell over to cover doesn't do squat. UKF mortars chase grens around like nobodies business as long as they have sight.

I've constantly watched grens moving from cover when a mortar shell hits, then watched a trail of mortar blasts follow the grens to their new point of cover.

Rinse and repeat.
20 Jan 2017, 15:04 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jan 2017, 08:04 AMEsxile

Snipers

We feel that the Sniper’s cloak ability is over performing, making them extremely difficult to counter with infantry. To address this issues we have made the following changes:

When firing a shot or using an offensive ability when not camouflaged, the unit will be unable to return to camouflage for 10 seconds
Snipers cannot cloak until out of combat for 3 seconds

A sniper is a big investment in mp and popcap and a m20 already threaten it once it hits the field. With the price increase on the 222, the windows of opportunity to kill the sniper right of the bat is bigger.
I'm also uncomfortable with the terminology "hard counter" with the sniper, do you think you should kill any sniper once you get a m20 just because it is the designated hard counter?
You'll still need to flank it with different unit + your m20 to shot it down.

Last but not least, if you see someone going dual pak, don't build a sherman. You're pretty sure he is going to stale for a Tiger.
So If you have it already, use your sherman as flanker and to deny lone cappers and build an extra RM + nade maybe, he is probably low on AI. Also be ready for the tiger.

I huned 80% health unprotected sniper half map till I killed him. Do you think its fine ?
20 Jan 2017, 17:13 PM

I see. So why not adding even more depth to gameplay and reduce the HE damage reduction of green cover? See your logical misconception?

Increasing the difference in protection level between moving in the open and yellow cover in favour of the former does not increase depth. It perverts the original idea of the cover system by making (yellow) cover even less desireable compared to moving in the open.

Yellow cover needs to have some effect against HE. It's ridiculous that in a WW2 themed game craters for example dont give any cover against shelling.

Another option would be to include a tool tip like this:

"In contrary to any normal person would think in the world of CoH yellow marked cover like craters have no effect on HE whatsoever. Yellow cover in context of HE is just a fake gimmick and supposed to confuse the naive noob. Under shelling it is suggested to let your troops happily run around in the open and avoid yellow cover at all costs because, as everyone knows, moving upright is much better than ducking in cover when under HE fire."

It doesn't add depth to have every cover function the same way.

To your second point you are asking for realism, well this is a game. Do you really think that a Sherman hit by a pak 43 at close range could survive? Or that the Kat rockets would not obliterate infantry anywhere around them when they landed? How about the fact that howitzers in this game don't deal great damage to tanks?

I am telling you that the point of the cover system is to offer choices. You have lots of choices, 4 in fact. Each offers slight differences from another, no two are exactly alike. Making yellow cover more like green cover makes the choices fewer and takes away from the importance of cover. As it stands each one offers benefits and costs.

Side note, cover can be a handicap when being hit by indirect fire weapons in real life. Being in a crater when a shell lands in it causes the blast to be contained within the area likely killing or injuring everyone. This is why mortars are so useful, because they are extremely accurate and easily kill whole squads seeking cover. In a game this is not fun to play. Instead, we introduce the fantasy idea that being behind a car makes it more likely a mortar shell won't kill you, which is actually not true. When under arty fire, either get down and spread out (fewest injuries possible), run to get out of the area, or get as far underground as possible so that only direct blasts will hit you. Craters offer good protection from small arms not high explosives.

@TickTack
Been a long time since I was called a nerd. I guess I will just have to be satisfied that if I played you I would likely beat you since you don't want to learn about how to play better. Not sure why you are hanging around a fan site dedicated to competitive level play in COH2.
20 Jan 2017, 17:22 PM
Patrion 14

is there no way to make squads act like it was 2013 in yellow cover only?

remember the times when your squads just could not stay in cover at all? which was a big problem because it was even hard to get cons fully into their long sandbag cover.
20 Jan 2017, 18:11 PM

I huned 80% health unprotected sniper half map till I killed him. Do you think its fine ?

I think balancing snipers will never ever be fine. This kind of unit goes against any other game mechanisms. JLI and Pathfinder are much more balanced.

I understand your point, just think as it as when you are chasing an almost dead tank and it keeps bouncing your shots until he reachs a safe zone.
20 Jan 2017, 19:22 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jan 2017, 17:22 PMpigsoup
is there no way to make squads act like it was 2013 in yellow cover only?

remember the times when your squads just could not stay in cover at all? which was a big problem because it was even hard to get cons fully into their long sandbag cover.

Probably not, there's still instances of lonely bushes and the like (or the stuff near them fell apart so they became lonely) in the game would cause the problem they solved before creating a new one.
21 Jan 2017, 13:23 PM

Can someone tell me when this Winter Balance patch is going to be released to everyone?
21 Jan 2017, 14:11 PM

Can someone tell me when this Winter Balance patch is going to be released to everyone?

March, or so they say!
PAGES (11)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight