Login

russian armor

Lock Demo Behind Veterancy

12 Jan 2017, 16:47 PM

The main problem in my opinion about demos is all the timing issues that go along with it.

In the first 10-15 minutes of the game you will not have the manpower for largish army (50+ popcap), yet at the same time; the SU player can afford to setup multiple demos about the map.

Mine sweepers for OST are a flat dps loss. Minesweeper on OKW leads to them having weak AT vs light vehicles which pop up at the same 10-15 minute mark. Also building multiple sweepers at this time is just not very viable as one does require a balanced fighting force.

An early squad wipe via demo at this early point in the game is just devastating. Yet at the same time going two sweepers to fully protect your forces (main army and point capper) is such a massive burden that the pros will hold off as long as possible in getting a sweeper. Not uncommon for the sweeper to appear only after a squad has exploded!

I suggest that the demo be locked behind both Vet 2 and 3. Locking the demo behind vet would also give the opposing players a 'tell' that they now have to be aware of squad wiping explosives.

Vet 2 would unlock the standard demo.
Vet 3 would unlock a demo that also has a small (10-15) sight range on it.
12 Jan 2017, 16:54 PM

Vet 3 would unlock a demo that also has a small (10-15) sight range on it.

Lol. Like we are in the need of a demo self spotting XD

Engies go vet 3 really fast thanks to low mp cost of engies + high flamers damage + cons merge to stay in the field.

Your solution is more a big buff to demo's than anything else.
12 Jan 2017, 17:02 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jan 2017, 16:54 PMBlalord

Lol. Like we are in the need of a demo self spotting XD

Locked behind Vet 3!!
Its something the SU players have wanted forever. Seems like a good compromise to me.

Take away early demo play and in return give stronger late game demo play.
12 Jan 2017, 17:05 PM

Vet 3 is very easy to get with flames as pointed out. Giving the demo anything will only make it more attractive. In fact, in this you have just straight buffed the demo as your first munitions will almost always go to flames, maybe a mine. By the time you get vet you have upgraded what few infantry can get upgrades and you are looking to wipe blobs or vetted squads. It is at this point that demo's are attractive. Adding sight will only increase the problem.

A strong no from me.
12 Jan 2017, 17:10 PM

Locked behind Vet 3!!
Its something the SU players have wanted forever. Seems like a good compromise to me.

Take away early demo play and in return give stronger late game demo play.

You can have a engie vet 3 something like 6 min in the game its not really late game
12 Jan 2017, 17:24 PM

Vet 3 is very easy to get with flames as pointed out. Giving the demo anything will only make it more attractive. In fact, in this you have just straight buffed the demo as your first munitions will almost always go to flames, maybe a mine. By the time you get vet you have upgraded what few infantry can get upgrades and you are looking to wipe blobs or vetted squads. It is at this point that demo's are attractive. Adding sight will only increase the problem.

A strong no from me.

This change is taking into consideration 1.4 balance preview.

Vet 3 really does not happen fast as 20-30 minutes is not fast...
Flamers on Engi (as opposed to penal) is only really viable on heavy building maps as they just don't have very good durability. Clown car not being as strong once the awesome OKW faust changes go live.

Heh, if all the Engis go flamers. Would feel good if the SU did not have a zillion engi with sweepers.

As to conscript merging with engis....would be good for the game as it would then give conscripts a strong reason to exist as usually people only merge to dying weapon crews and perhaps elite squads.

By the time you get to vet 3, the other guy can afford to have two sweepers (esp ost). And going flamers would lesson the amount of muni you have for the demos themselves!
12 Jan 2017, 17:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jan 2017, 17:10 PMBlalord

You can have a engie vet 3 something like 6 min in the game its not really late game

Easy fix...just increase the amount of vet it takes to get to vet 3....

Engi vet 3 is just "no longer takes extra damage while repairing, +15% accuracy, -15% cooldown" so it will not be a huge loss if they take longer.
12 Jan 2017, 17:28 PM

Easy fix...just increase the amount of vet it takes to get to vet 3....

Engi vet 3 is just "no longer takes extra damage while repairing, +15% accuracy, -15% cooldown" so it will not be a huge loss if they take longer.

Change the vet system just for one unit is strange...

i still dont understand the need of a demo buff nowadays

Losing a Vet 3 unit to a self spotting Demo charge would be totally absurd ...
12 Jan 2017, 17:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jan 2017, 17:28 PMBlalord

Change the vet system just for one unit is strange...

i still dont understand the need of a demo buff nowadays

Losing a Vet 3 unit to a self spotting Demo charge would be totally absurd ...

You forget the nerf it gets as you would need Vet 2 in order to build a demo.
Meant to be a nerf and a buff as SU players would just cry a river if you did a pure nerf.

Would also like to see you do a six minute vet 3 engi -.-'

Top 10 people lose Vet 3 squads to....non-spotting demos.... So don't really see your point. If you don't got a spotter you will still die.
12 Jan 2017, 17:41 PM

You forget the nerf it gets as you would need Vet 2 in order to build a demo.
Meant to be a nerf and a buff as SU players would just cry a river if you did a pure nerf.

Would also like to see you do a six minute vet 3 engi -.-'

Top 10 people lose Vet 3 squads to....non-spotting demos.... So don't really see your point. If you don't got a spotter you will still die.

i know they to lose Vet 3 squads to non spotting demos, add spotting to demos will not help everyone

as you can see i play sov a lot (https://www.coh2.org/ladders/playercard/steamid/76561198049059591)

and i assure you Engies vet really really fast : p, early game is about seeking cover and building, flamer engies are king early game
12 Jan 2017, 18:00 PM

Trying to achieve the following by changing demo:

1. Give demo a soft tell via seeing a vet 2/3 engi.

2. Being given a different way to counter demo (besides sweeping) via wiping the vetted engi. As getting vetted up late game just does not happen easy as engi vs 40/60 percent accuracy units is lol horrible.

3. Stop early game (first 15 minutes) demo wipes.

4. Help Axis early game by not having to worry about fast demos and being able to buy shrek/whatever.

On another note engi can vet up pretty fast. But it is just not normal most of the time. And if you now give priority to wiping the engi, then vetting will be slower.
12 Jan 2017, 21:03 PM

Demo wipes early game aren't as punishing as in late game, does it feel worse to lose a vet 1 volks squad at 8 minutes, or a vet 5 STG volk squad at 30 minutes? (Protip: It's the vet 5 volk squad)

Also giving demos vision is just a troll suggestion, I wonder why I'm being this serious with this answer anyways when obvious troll is obvious
12 Jan 2017, 23:12 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jan 2017, 21:03 PMPlaguer
Demo wipes early game aren't as punishing as in late game, does it feel worse to lose a vet 1 volks squad at 8 minutes, or a vet 5 STG volk squad at 30 minutes? (Protip: It's the vet 5 volk squad)

Also giving demos vision is just a troll suggestion, I wonder why I'm being this serious with this answer anyways when obvious troll is obvious

Pro tip: Losing a volk squad early is devastating. Losing a Sturm early is pretty much good game.
Having to worry about an instant squad wipe demo that may or may not exist in the early game when you are strapped for resources is just not fair.

Obviously demo already instant squad wipes and that is without vision. Obviously it would be better if there is no opportunity for a squad to be wiped at the 8 minute mark.

Obviously you will now be able to stop demo from even being there at the 30 minute mark by devoting attention to killing engi whenever possible.

Guess what currently has stealth and vision and blows up for huge damage? The OKW Goliath has vision and is somehow not op but instead total trash...
12 Jan 2017, 23:13 PM

Having demoes auto acquired like the OKW 120 muni useless bomb vech that also has stealth, mobility and vision(!!) would be great.
13 Jan 2017, 07:17 AM

Pro tip: Losing a volk squad early is devastating. Losing a Sturm early is pretty much good game.
Having to worry about an instant squad wipe demo that may or may not exist in the early game when you are strapped for resources is just not fair.

Obviously demo already instant squad wipes and that is without vision. Obviously it would be better if there is no opportunity for a squad to be wiped at the 8 minute mark.

Obviously you will now be able to stop demo from even being there at the 30 minute mark by devoting attention to killing engi whenever possible.

Guess what currently has stealth and vision and blows up for huge damage? The OKW Goliath has vision and is somehow not op but instead total trash...

Sometimes I've lost 2x SPios to a single demo thanks to my own stupidity but I've been easily able to come back by changing up my game plan, but if those were late game volks/obers with vet 5 and weapon upgrades I would probably get run over by infantry without a chance in the world, taking in to consideration that the game has been even up until that point

Also, goliath is shit because it gets SPOTTED, it's not invisible, just stealthed
14 Jan 2017, 14:31 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Jan 2017, 07:17 AMPlaguer

Sometimes I've lost 2x SPios to a single demo thanks to my own stupidity but I've been easily able to come back by changing up my game plan, but if those were late game volks/obers with vet 5 and weapon upgrades I would probably get run over by infantry without a chance in the world, taking in to consideration that the game has been even up until that point

Also, goliath is shit because it gets SPOTTED, it's not invisible, just stealthed

You must have played some rank 4000 if you can somehow lose two OKW sturms and come back.

Double sturms at the start is almost never viable...

And good job with your troll post as no one is going to come back from a early 600 MP loss :0

Also Goliath is crap because it moves sloooowwwwww and it makes huuuggggggggeeeeeee noises. Would think that thing is a King Tiger. No one would die to a demo if it made a noise when you got near it -.-"
15 Jan 2017, 01:32 AM
Patrion 14

I like the idea to lock demos behind vet 2. But certainly not self spotting demos at any point. That would reduce the little counter play there is.

Having demos behind vet 2 would remove the early game wipes.
15 Jan 2017, 01:40 AM

a decent player will get a mine sweeper for 30 muni instead of the flamer for 60 which is going to save u from ever running into a demo. and the person who made the demos gna be butt hurt and wana cry about a minesweeper nerf
15 Jan 2017, 15:26 PM

Demos shouldn´t be detonable once spotted by sweeper squad
15 Jan 2017, 16:35 PM

how about playing some games with soviets before commenting on them?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★