Login

russian armor

Noob question: How to counter early axis MG spam?

9 Jan 2017, 11:13 AM

Ive played only for 138hrs of this game. So i'd like to ask how do you seasoned veterans counter the early axis MG spam? It feels super hard to counter considering how little effort it takes for them.

(Or countering mgs in general in the early game with just infantry.)

I play UKF.
9 Jan 2017, 11:40 AM
Lead Strategist Badge

Ive played only for 138hrs of this game. So i'd like to ask how do you seasoned veterans counter the early axis MG spam? It feels super hard to counter considering how little effort it takes for them.

(Or countering mgs in general in the early game with just infantry.)

I play UKF.

Hey Kanelbullen, which modus you are talking about 1vs1-4vs4 or general in all?

As Brit you have these options:

A) Universalcarrier

B) If there are 2 Houses: Your wickers vs his Mg42. If its longrange/ midrange Wickers will win allways. Only in closerange mg42 (can) wins.

C) As Brit you just have to hold your side. Hold your Infantrysection allways in yellow or green cover to deal more damage. Also then you get less suppression.

D) Go for fast AEC and a mortarpit. And then you should be fine vs him. If he skips T1 and only spam mg42, rush AEC first vs 222 or flamerhft, and then after this go for a mortarpit.

E) in 2vs2, 3vs3, 4vs4 Best way:ask for a mortar in early from your teammates: USA, Soviets. Or smokenades from USA( only If he flanks and helps you with that^^)

F) In general don't clumb with your units and try to flank his mgs. But as i allready said; as brit just hold your side and tech. No need to rush in his mg42. Because with mg42 spam he can't cap the map very fast.
13 Jan 2017, 22:11 PM

Weird how in COH it was Axis being the hardest to play, now we're in COH2 and people say Axis are easiest to play lol

Your best bet would be watch your own replay and see what you yourself could have done better. Then finally as a final crutch see what the pro's are doing.

Learn from replays, but don't get sucked into them, eventually you'll hit 300-500 hours and enjoy how much fun it is putting hard work into an RTS.

17 Jan 2017, 10:01 AM

Any advice against mgs in buildings? They are the ones that im struggling the most about.

Edit: Keep in mind that im asking hwo to counter them EARLY game. Like when i only have a couple of infantry units without upgrades yet.
17 Jan 2017, 12:48 PM
Lead Strategist Badge

Any advice against mgs in buildings? They are the ones that im struggling the most about.

Edit: Keep in mind that im asking hwo to counter them EARLY game. Like when i only have a couple of infantry units without upgrades yet.

Mortar and Flamerpios!

Both work very well!
17 Jan 2017, 13:04 PM

I play Ostheer, so here is some advice from me (things brits do to counter my mg). I usually only go for one mg because when i get 2 or 3 they often get stolen which can be game losing. ALWAYS try to steal one if you get the chance to flank it and wipe it.

Mortar pit can work well, just avoid the building the MG is in and shell it to shit with the pit.

Be sure to protect the mortar pit with a vickers/AT gun.

Use cover. Green cover will mean the MG will not suppress and will not do too much damage. Then rush in with a second squad from a different angle and get a grenade in the building.

Get an AEC perhaps or try and hold out till you get tanks.

Once you see an area with an mg in a building, dont blob your squads and run into it, rather split up your squads when approaching it or just go to another part of the map, until you can properly deal with it with mortar pit or AEC or tank always supported by infantry.

If its 2v2, ask your teammate to get flamer engineers or anything with flames will wreck units in a building quickly.

Also, study some of the maps, you will see that some buildings can be countered, as they sometimes have some sides which have no windows. In that case you can bring an infantry squad to that side and shoot the mg without it shooting back.

Remember, you can also get a vickers and put it in a building...

Hope that helps :)
17 Jan 2017, 15:06 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Jan 2017, 13:04 PMMauser

Be sure to protect the mortar pit with a vickers/AT gun.

Use cover. Green cover will mean the MG will not suppress and will not do too much damage. Then rush in with a second squad from a different angle and get a grenade in the building.

So i need a mortar pit, AT gun, vickers and a squad of infantry with grenades just to take out one mg? Jeez....
18 Jan 2017, 07:37 AM

MG spam its 3 mg or 2?
Having so much stationary units means slower capture rates overall.

Vs building: Bren Carrier, Sniper

vs mg on the field, get your sections on a carrier and bypass it, disembark and shoot the crew in the back. Then steal it.

If he is aiming to just lockdown territories it means he's leaving mgs alone.

Remember you dont have to always kill the crew, if he's at least descent he will retreat it as soon as its flanked or droped below 2 gunners

Also I think a garrisoned vickers has more range than a garrisoned 42
18 Jan 2017, 08:23 AM
Donator 11

As Brits in team games it is easy to counter the MG-42 spam (if you mean 3 or more MG-42s) with fast teching and a fast mortar pit. I prefer the Sim City Regiment in that case, because you can build the mortar pit with Tommies.
18 Jan 2017, 11:38 AM

Infantry Section in green cover can win against a MG in the building.
Stay in green cover, the best would be to have two IS. One in green cover and another in a building or also in green cover.
Oh and flank the MG with a royal engineer, with or without a flamer. RE can do much damage when they are very close.

So the bottom line is, always fight from green cover (with at least two units) and flank with a third(this is the optimum strategy) and always cover your ass (flank :D) with a Vickers.

Example 1: 2 IS and 1 RE
Example 2: 2 IS and 1 Vickers
Example 3: 2 IS 1 Vickers and 1 RE
18 Jan 2017, 11:56 AM

So i need a mortar pit, AT gun, vickers and a squad of infantry with grenades just to take out one mg? Jeez....

The at gun and vickers are optional, they are mostly there to defend the mortar pit later in the game.

I agree with what others in the thread have said also. Most important is to try and flank it.

Also just keep practicing. In the beginning I lost to sim city brits EVERY game.

Then I watched a tip by HelpingHans on how to counter sim city and practiced a lot and now i am very comfortable at dealing with it. Dealing with enemy mg's in buildings or on the field or mg bunkers is also just something you have to learn to deal with and then you will get better at the game.

Watch pros and try the tips out and you will deal with it better in future!

Royal engineers flanking an mg in building with a flamer and inf section in cover drawing fire from the mg is a good start for early game. It depends on if your problem is 5 mgs or just 1. If it is just one, ignore it and cap rest of map. If it is a LOT of mgs just try and counter with uec flamer backed by inf or mortar pit and hold out till you get aec or tank.
25 Jan 2017, 04:27 AM

flank flank flank

you know that stupid trick when you were a kid, someone waves their hand to the side saying lookit this lookit this! Then they slap you with their other hand? (brothers....ugh) Do that. Send a squad to their fuel, just cause for a distraction and take TWO squads to the MG shortly after. Split them wide before you get line of sight and park them in cover (if you can).

#1: you might not kill it/force a retreat the first time. Thats OK! Do it again. If youre putting damage on it, youll get there

#2: even if you have to retreat, if he is doing what he is "supposed" to be doing he will move it. potentially problematic but also, maybe, moved to a spot less annoying for you.

But really, in the first 5 mins all about the basic flank. It really is that simple and you have to practice it.
14 Mar 2017, 20:41 PM

I like to build a mortar pit next to a building and put my own MG in the building to protect it. Pisses my friends off :)
18 Jan 2018, 09:18 AM
Senior Artist Badge

I like to build a mortar pit next to a building and put my own MG in the building to protect it. Pisses my friends off :)

Not a good idea! If that Mg is forced out and a flamepio enters he will leave the canisters open while having a card game!:unsure: Mortar pits should be build within close perimeter of your base(1v1 maps) and most buildings on (1v1)Maps are always close to the centre and VP's that makes Mortar pit placement extremely vulnerable in such areas.

18 Jan 2018, 11:06 AM

Hi buddy,

Have you tried just ignoring the MG? Often this is a posibility, and if you don't have an MG yourself planted somewhere on the map, then you should win on other places on the map due to sheer numbers. (he has 260MP LESS to play with in other areas on the map).

If that's not an option, simply do an upgrade bro? You should have 3-4 basic units before you tech for your upgrades (molotovs, grenades) - or do the flame/mortar suggestion.

This really is your ONLY options in a 1v1 scenario.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★