Login

russian armor

S73v0 - heals93, Stonethecrow01, Alecino101

26 Jul 2013, 03:56 AM

Hey guys, welcome to the coh2.org mentoring program!

First a bit about myself. My real name is Stephen, I'm from Melbourne, Australia. I've played coh1 but only got up to lvl 16 in vanilla. I've played in 2 tourneys in coh2 and in the closed beta. One I got second place and the other I got to the round of 16.

http://ikfseries.challonge.com/IKFasia
http://tfn.challonge.com/wcday2

So what I expect from you guys, (copied from signup thread):

Steam Profile: S73v0
1-10 Your Skill Level: 9-10
Your Timezone in GMT: GMT+10
Do You Require a Mic?: Should have access to one just in case
Russian/Ostheer or Both?: Both and must be willing to try and learn both factions
Any Other Request:
  • Prefer that they are around the same timezone as me
  • Must not blame losses on imbalance, must have an 'I will improve' mentality
  • Must be well-mannered and mature
  • Focus on 1v1 (I have no interest in mentoring 2v2)
  • Level of mentees can range from total noob to decentish
  • If there are any Japanese mentees I would be happy to mentor them if they help me with speaking Japanese :P
Important!
You guys should also be proactive in learning. Don't expect me to chase you guys up on posting replays or playing games. I will be quite busy from now with IRL stuff and if you guys can also help each other out it will be very helpful as teaching is a great way to learn too! However you guys can still post replays and ask questions and I will try to answer and review them in a timely fashion. Also if you guys want to play a game against me, feel free to ask and I'll see if I can organise a time to play.

So first introduce yourself, check in and let's get learning coh2! :D
26 Jul 2013, 04:29 AM

Neat, excited to kick this thing off. I've recently been sucking hard at Soviets so that's mostly what I'm looking for mentoring for @ the moment. If you're busy I'll try and mostly post replays so you can review them in your own time. Anyway ...

Steam Profile: d1cozena
1-10 Your Skill Level: 6-7
Your Timezone in GMT: GMT+12 - New Zealand!
Do You Require a Mic?: I have a mic.
Russian/Ostheer or Both?: Both.

A little about me...
What I do: Doing a Masters in Psychology, work at bunch of student like jobs (bar manager, @ video store etc)
Interests beside CoH: Mixed Martial Arts, Sumo, Brazilian Jujitsu, Psychology and History.

In fact, shameless plug, if anyone is interested they can check out my mma blog here:
http://mmanewzealand.blogspot.co.nz/
26 Jul 2013, 04:53 AM

Nice to meet you Sam, we'll wait a bit for the others before we kick things off ;)
27 Jul 2013, 01:08 AM

Well, might as well get started. I assume the others will be joining us later.

So this thread is where 90% of our communication will be taking place. If you have a preferred voice chat room we can use that as well. Otherwise post replays with a short description outlining what you thought you did well and what you did poorly at, and I'll write up reviews of them. Don't post replays where you completely own the opponent in a few minutes though.

If you have any questions on build orders or if you have trouble against a particular strategy feel free to ask and I'll answer them as best as I can.
28 Jul 2013, 01:17 AM

Awesome. I didn't get PM'ed or anything about this thread. I luckily saw it on the mainpage otherwise I totally wouldn't know, so I might quickly PM the others just incase they missed it.
28 Jul 2013, 06:47 AM

Cool, plz do this thxs. I've already added everyone on steam.
28 Jul 2013, 07:34 AM

Already done ;) I'll post some replays in here for you soon.
28 Jul 2013, 10:26 AM

Replay

Here's the replay. Looking forward to the feedback.
28 Jul 2013, 10:57 AM

Hey, just made aware of this thread thank you kindly Sam for contacting me and Steve look forward to working together.

Steam Profile: 2nd SS Pz Div Das Reich(Just added you, now I know who you are.)
1-10 Your Skill Level: 6-7
Your Time zone in GMT: GMT+10 - Brisbane
Do You Require a Mic?: I have a mic. I currently have a TS3 server and a Mumble server we could use can get Vent also if necessary.
Russian/Ostheer or Both?: I mostly only play as Ostheer but I have studied Soviets quite thoroughly.

What I do: I am a current serving member of the Australian Army.

Status report: I mainly play as team group with a 3-4 man group ranging from doing 2v2, 3v3 and 4v4. However I do a bit of 1v1 in my own time.

I play quite regularly and am aiming at being a long time member of the community, I also aim to start streaming regularly but need to learn a lot on how it’s all done as that side is all new to me.

I believe I am progressing quite well so far along with my team. I study all the tournament games and follow most of the better player’s casts as well as sifting through all the YouTube uploaded games to help me learn strats and counters.

I have quite a few replays already saved but could you tell me how do I view them do I need to re-format them or something?

28 Jul 2013, 11:17 AM

Hi Aaron nice to meet you, looking forward to working together.

Upload the replays onto coh2.org and you can view the replays in your playback folder:

http://www.coh2.org/guides/4164/how-to-watch-replays

Yea and when linking replays to this thread can you please use the code:

Code
[replay]replay# at last bit of URL[/replay]

It looks neater and more presentable :P
28 Jul 2013, 11:41 AM

Terrific, I will get some 1v1's tomorrow for replay everything I have now is team play and irrelevant.
28 Jul 2013, 13:24 PM

So just some general tips on 1v1 not specific to the replay:

1v1 is really just a massive fuel war where germans are aiming to spam panzer 4s and soviets are about taking the ostheer player out before that happens or countering the panzer 4s with minimal losses.

Therefore as Soviets you should be teching to counter the inevitable p4 spam. You do this usually with SU-85s. If you're starving on fuel the poor man's counter is AT guns which you can use to stall until SU-85s.

As germans I have only really encountered 2 early game builds which are very strong. One is the 4 unit T1 to T2 with flammenwerfer halftrack to T3 and p4 spam. This is the one I use. The other is a extended T1 with 6-7 units of grens to T3 and p4 spam. Soviets have alot of different builds which are viable but I'll touch on how to counter the specific german strategies later.

Keep all of this in mind as you build your own strategies in automatch.
28 Jul 2013, 14:40 PM

Ok first review, let's get started!

(SU)Ozena vs (OH)S73v0

First off I'll like to say that I think you played quite well. You're micro is quite good, I don't think I got off 1 good grenade on you which is excellent. There were a few points where it could be sharpened a bit but that would come with more experience.

So your build order was 3 conscripts->engy->Build T2->maxim, mortar
I usually go T1 as soviets so I'm not experienced with T2 builds but this strategy doesn't seem so bad. This wasn't really your problem up until this point.

At the beginning I snuck a pioneer around the house and took the building from your conscript. To prevent this I usually keep my conscript back so it can see around the edge of the house and spot the pioneers coming. Whenever you're in sticky situations you can quickly oorah out of it with your conscripts. This will keep your conscript in play which is great early game as you want to keep capping.

However your teching was less than stellar. Going T2 has the advantage that even if you're fuel starved as Soviets you can still get AT. However you didn't build an AT gun when you first saw the flammenhalftrack. To counter the flammenhalftrack I usually use guards but in this case you could have easily have gotten an AT gun which is much better. In fact, I could have won 14 minutes earlier if I knew you had absolutely no AT on the field. An AT gun will 2-shot a flammenhalftrack and taking a flammenhalftrack out early as soviets is almost gg since the 120 muni the ostheer player is unlikely able to afford until much later.

When you built T4 you commited a huge mistake. You had no fuel to get out an SU-85 to counter the panzer 4 spam that was coming. In the end all this did was delay your AT guns. You should have waited for AT guns first before you built your T4. You shouldn't build T4 when you have no fuel for the SU-85, unless you're dominating the map. Especially since you need the resources in AT guns. You only started to build AT guns after you built T4. This should have been done much earlier.

That SU-76 was a little worthless. They are a good unit when you're ahead and you're sure a panzer 4 is not coming. Unfortunately it didn't even manage to kill the halftrack so it just delayed your SU-85.

Your doctrine choice was a bit late and weird, you didn't get much out of it, earlier guards would have been a valuable addition to your army. You were also floating a bit of manpower at the end. More AT guns would also have helped.

Also, don't lose your conscripts. There were a few vetted conscripts you lost needlessly. Losing conscripts is almost as bad as losing vetted riflemen in coh1. Unvetted conscripts just suck and cost alot of needless manpower.

Otherwise nice mine usage, nice use of maxim and mortar. I look forward to seeing you play again.

So summing up:

• Incorporate earlier AT guns into your army, especially to counter flammenhalftrack
  • Don't build T4 unless you have fuel for SU-85 once completed or you're dominating your opponent
  • earlier doctrine choice and better usage of doctrine.
  • don't lose your vetted conscripts
  • gj with mines, more mines in forward positions would have been awesome
31 Jul 2013, 07:36 AM

[replay]http://www.coh2.org/replays/6048/mentor-replay-for-s73v0[/replay]

Hey Stephen been trying to get a good 1v1 replay for you but all the last games have been exactly like this, I have versed sub par competition and won too easily.

Just uploaded this so you can get a basic gist of my workings and I will upload better games ASAP.

Aaron
31 Jul 2013, 08:33 AM

I'm in a similiar boat heals93, after my game vs you S73vo I've gone on a 6 or 7 win streak as Soviets :P no doubt partly from your advice!
31 Jul 2013, 08:36 AM

Wait have we versed each other?
31 Jul 2013, 09:02 AM

I will try and look at the game tonight. If nothing else I would get a feel for what your strategies and playstyle are. :P

Also maybe you guys should arrange a game against each other. Then one of you will have to lose :P
31 Jul 2013, 12:06 PM

My build order for Germans is: build T1-> Gren->Gren->Mg->Gren-> retreat pio-> build T2. Depending on how much munitions I have I get a PG or halftrack first. If the soviets had the fuel for a long time and I suspect a quick T70 or something I would also get a pak40 after a 1-2 more PGs. After that I hold off for a PanzerIV. The only reactionary change I make with this build is if I see the Soviet player m3 car spamming or using sniper in m3 then I'll get 1 or 2 scout cars.

@heals93
Concentrate on making all these units as quickly as you can by not floating resources. Keep your units together when engaging and utilise the flamer halftrack to its fullest potential chasing off harassing conscripts and reinforcing your troops. Just be careful of quick T70s or guards as they can kill your halftrack very quickly.
31 Jul 2013, 13:03 PM

Hey guys! Sorry for the late reply, was getting back into the groove of university studies so this totally slipped my mind.

Steam Profile: Boat Knight (Alecino101)
1-10 Your Skill Level: 5-6
Your Timezone in GMT: GMT+8 - Western Australia - Perth
Do You Require a Mic?: I have a mic.
Russian/Ostheer or Both?: Both.

About me -
What I do: Doing a Bachelor of Computer Science, Majoring in Software Engineering.
Interests beside Company of Heroes: History, Reading (Both fantasy and historical texts), Football (Soccer) and managing a guild group.

Looking forward to improve my skill level, I'll play a few games when I have the time and put them up for review.
31 Jul 2013, 13:21 PM

Nice to meet you Alec. I'm doing my Bachelor's atm as well. If you have any questions about coh2 feel free to ask.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 26
Germany 522

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment