Login

russian armor

Unreliability of mortar smoke

20 Nov 2016, 13:41 PM

Hello everybody,

as we all know, mortar smoke fires all but reliably. Even the changelog says that it was fixed some patches ago, but actually the problem still persists. When ordering a smoke barrage, the ability icon lights up but the mortar crew does nothing. Stopping the action of the crew resets the ability to be used again, should it work or not the next time. This issue still persists with atleast Ostheer and USF mortar, and personally I would really like for this ability to work as intended. Its a small issue, but personally I would like the flavour. As far as I know Ost mortar halftrack's smoke works everytime.

Edit: This also happens with soviet mortar.
20 Nov 2016, 13:50 PM

In addition smoke should be delivered faster imo. Infantry and tanks seem able to deliver smoke allot faster reducing the utility of mortars.
20 Nov 2016, 15:50 PM

The smoke from the mortar is more of a pre-plan order, not immidiate action. You see the enemy having MG defense up front/in building, you smoke that position and then you move your men in, not move in then smoke. The tank' smoke is an immidiate action to help save your tanks out of danger so yeah, it's different.‎
20 Nov 2016, 15:53 PM

... The tank' smoke is an immidiate action to help save your tanks out of danger so yeah, it's different.‎

I am not talking panzer tactician or other form of defensive smoke I talking tank firing smoke at range.

Smoke fired at range should be similar for most units or mortars should have the extra utility of deploying faster.
20 Nov 2016, 16:44 PM

Just buy the USF mortar, you don't need smoke, it will wipe anything that requires smoke as a counter.
20 Nov 2016, 16:50 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Nov 2016, 15:53 PMVipper

I am not talking panzer tactician or other form of defensive smoke I talking tank firing smoke at range.

Smoke fired at range should be similar for most units or mortars should have the extra utility of deploying faster.

Wut? My Cromwells and Comets fire smoke like, less than 50% of the time, it's unreliable as well.

Which brings to my attention that smoke is in general badly implemented in this game.
20 Nov 2016, 17:03 PM

Wut?

Bug a separate issue I was refereeing to design...
20 Nov 2016, 17:08 PM

Wut? My Cromwells and Comets fire smoke like, less than 50% of the time, it's unreliable as well.

Which brings to my attention that smoke is in general badly implemented in this game.

i could swear it works everytime i use it. dont have any problems with it all
20 Nov 2016, 17:25 PM

i could swear it works everytime i use it. dont have any problems with it all

I know it's fairly easy to lie on the internet but I don't have the capable rig to make a recording of it to show as video proof, and I don't think it's a delay in orders on my part (slow performance or internet lag or whatever).
21 Nov 2016, 10:05 AM

The smoke from the mortar is more of a pre-plan order, not immidiate action‎

Exactly. The issue here is that the ability fails to fire at times screwing up your timing or forcing extra micro into making sure the ability actually fires or moving your mortar and trying again.

Just buy the USF mortar

Can't do this as ostheer

Aside from it's quirky behaviour when it comes to ranged abilities, it has a lot of uses, like controlling line of sight or buy that little extra time holding a VP or moving your troops to better positions. For instance smoke so a sniper can't pick off your riflemen off and force your opponent to sink more of his micro into it. Or cover a retreat. You will need to know it's coming, but you get the point.
21 Nov 2016, 10:24 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Nov 2016, 10:05 AMLuoppis

Can't do this as ostheer

Buy it with bullets!
21 Nov 2016, 10:39 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Nov 2016, 10:05 AMLuoppis

Exactly. The issue here is that the ability fails to fire at times screwing up your timing or forcing extra micro into making sure the ability actually fires or moving your mortar and trying again.

Can't do this as ostheer

Aside from it's quirky behaviour when it comes to ranged abilities, it has a lot of uses, like controlling line of sight or buy that little extra time holding a VP or moving your troops to better positions. For instance smoke so a sniper can't pick off your riflemen off and force your opponent to sink more of his micro into it. Or cover a retreat. You will need to know it's coming, but you get the point.

Yeah I meant that it's buggy not useless
21 Nov 2016, 11:10 AM

Buy it with bullets!

:snfPeter:
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 93
Netherlands 11
France 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias