Login

russian armor

Dear Relic, can I have a word please? (Russian history)

• This thread is locked
PAGES (16)down
28 Jul 2013, 23:55 PM

Slightly out of order there, Buzz; and by 'slightly' I mean 'enormously'.
29 Jul 2013, 00:12 AM

Slightly out of order there, Buzz; and by 'slightly' I mean 'enormously'.

I disagree. It's far from "out of order" to call a spade a spade.

Fuck these people and their idiotic crusade against a video game. Russian nationalists are some of the most ignorant people you will ever meet and a lot of it has to due with their poor education and heavily bias/skewed view on history in regards to WW2. I support rational nationalism 100% but this entire circus that has come as a result of a video game is far from rational and should be stomped out and given no support or respect.

I'll take it one step further and say that I wish that the allies (Minus the Soviets) had reunified Germany and pushed into the Soviet Union and removed that cancer from the world before it was allowed to spread.
29 Jul 2013, 00:26 AM

Nazism was chauvinistic nationalism made manifest and brought to extremes. When you get right down to it, in practice what the Nazis did and what the Communists did were absolutely identical, with the only exception being handling of economic situations.

If you need to look at the byproduct of moronic levels of nationalism, you only need to look at history. But of course, Russians wouldn't know what history is outside of their prescribed Russian nationalist indoctrination. I bet you think Putin is harbinger of freedom too, right?

Too bad the Americans never listened to Patton.
29 Jul 2013, 00:28 AM

Nazism was chauvinistic nationalism made manifest and brought to extremes. When you get right down to it, in practice what the Nazis did and what the Communists did were absolutely identical, with the only exception being handling of economic situations.

If you need to look at the byproduct of moronic levels of nationalism, you only need to look at history. But of course, Russians wouldn't know what history is outside of their prescribed Russian nationalist indoctrination. I bet you think Putin is harbinger of freedom too, right?

Too bad the Americans never listened to Patton.

The same goes for Americans these days. I suppose these days, if you have global power, everyone just indoctrinates to death.
29 Jul 2013, 00:31 AM

Haha! Oh man. You always get somebody who brings the U.S. into an argument like this when it's not even about them.
29 Jul 2013, 00:39 AM

Haha! Oh man. You always get somebody who brings the U.S. into an argument like this when it's not even about them.

Regardless, the truth is the truth. Isn't it that similar observations of ppl made around the world valid to talk about here?

BTW, I'm Chinese from Australia just saying ^^ and I absolutely hate nationalism - there is simply no point in it in the wider perspective of things.
29 Jul 2013, 00:44 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jul 2013, 00:39 AMhubewa

Regardless, the truth is the truth. Isn't it that similar observations of ppl made around the world valid to talk about here?

BTW, I'm Chinese from Australia just saying ^^ and I absolutely hate nationalism - there is simply no point in it in the wider perspective of things.

Nationalism is great. It's irrational Nationalism that's the problem.
29 Jul 2013, 00:47 AM

Nationalism is great. It's irrational Nationalism that's the problem.

It happens too often these days in the powerful countries.

I suppose there are reasons for it but it must be wiped out.
29 Jul 2013, 01:02 AM

Why should it be wiped out?
29 Jul 2013, 01:04 AM

Why should it be wiped out?

Because it's not healthy for us as a race to compete so vigorously and ignorantly for two nations armed to the teeth.
29 Jul 2013, 01:06 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jul 2013, 01:04 AMhubewa

Because it's not healthy for us as a race to compete so vigorously and ignorantly for two nations armed to the teeth.

So I should give up national identity and pride in favor of a (false) utopian society where everybody gets along and is perceived as equal even though we're not?
29 Jul 2013, 01:40 AM

So I should give up national identity and pride in favor of a (false) utopian society where everybody gets along and is perceived as equal even though we're not?

This is not against nationalism in general, this is about irrational nationalism.
29 Jul 2013, 02:42 AM

That's two different things.

Reduce arms race does not mean giving up your national identity or something like that. Especially now you have plenty of chances to compete in something which is more beneficial for mankind (and for yourself) than that.

We got Putin , nothing to be worried about =)

You have great confidence in him :), well he's not a bad leader i guess.
29 Jul 2013, 07:21 AM

Permanently Banned
That petition has 11, 910 signatures...

That, if anything, is something to be seriously concerned and worried about.

(I cant be bothered to investigate whether they are botted signs or authentic.)

There is precedent of state sponsored internet propaganda, such as China's "50 Cent Army", which deliberately spams sites/forums critical of the Chinese state with propaganda commentary, http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/50_Cent_Party.

I wouldnt be the least bit surprised if Russia has its equivalent.
29 Jul 2013, 07:53 AM

The amount of hypocrisy from these Russian Internet heroes is truly astounding. They just don't know better?
29 Jul 2013, 08:09 AM

I disagree. It's far from "out of order" to call a spade a spade.

Of course not. But then you have generalisations and stereotypes, which is what you're indulging in. You can have those thoughts, of course, I'm not trying to tell you that you can't. But keep them to yourself please. This is not the place; using a couple of vocal, angry people from another culture (which you may or may not understand) to reinforce views of how millions of people behave and think is not the thoughts of a reasonable, educated person, which is what you are I'm sure, when not online.
29 Jul 2013, 09:45 AM

Those Russians are taking this way too seriously, have they forgotten that this is a video game that they are outraged about? Video game are made primarily for entertainment and just because the settings of this one is WW2 does not mean that you should expect it to be historically accurate or potrayed to your liking.
Games do not hold that responsibility.

It's not a documentary or a history book where facts is all that matters, where logical people go to learn about history not to a damn video game, and if the facts are inaccurate and false in any documentary or history book then it would make sense for you to be outraged about it.

You did not like the campaign? Fine, move the fuck on. There is multiplayer, and if you did not like that either, move on to another game.
Why do you feel it is necessary to ban CoH2 in Russia? What will that achieve exactly? Get some common sense.
29 Jul 2013, 10:10 AM

It's not without precedent in the west as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_controversial_video_games

I draw your attention to Six Days in Fallujah.

While I cannot say how emotion compares, as I do not know Russian Culture and how they 'think' - I do know it's quite different to so-called 'Westerners' though who largely share similar cultural characteristics - I hope you can see why I compare them: similar seeds of controversy - both video games playing out in a specific time period that some people felt that what the game covered was not appropriate.

It is not for me to judge how to describe 'appropriate' across cultural boundaries, particular for how non-western nations think as a whole and behave. In fact, I think it's precisely the difference in culture that will help illustrate how the Russians feel so emotional about CoH2 as did the Americans with Six days in Fallujah.

I agree, it is quite an abstract comparison, but one that I hope makes sense to at least some people with regards this situation that we as Westerners cannot really every hope to make sense of - that being why CIS folk are up in arms about this.

I don't really see the problem either, personally, but looking at it this way helps me to dimly perceive how it might be offensive.
29 Jul 2013, 10:20 AM

Just to add, what I do find offensive is a perceived 'national hatred' that is being perpetrated, possibly stemming from the long period of cold war and enmity between the West and the East that we've only recently (relatively) emerged from. Attitudes need to change; it would make this forum a less toxic environment, certainly.
PAGES (16)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 48
Netherlands 31
unknown 2
Germany 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L