Login

russian armor

Desktop Upgrade (Advice Please)

27 Oct 2016, 06:56 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Hello all,
I'm looking to upgrade my (potato) rig. However, I don't have much of a budget, so I have to make do with upgrades.

Here's what I have currently:
CPU: AMD FX-8320E (recently purchased, used to be an Athlon II 250)
Mobo: ASRock 960SM U3S3 (max 16GB RAM)
RAM: 4GB DDR3 (one stick of RAM died, so my computer is crawling right now)
Graphics: AMD HD 6670 1GB VRAM

Questions:
- Will DDR3 RAM price decrease in the near future? If so, when?
- Is the RX 460 a good replacement for my age-old HD 6670?
27 Oct 2016, 07:12 AM

It depends on what you plan on playing the most. Which games are you going to play?

If the games are ram intensive, simply upgrade that first, then wait out for a nice price drop or big enough budget to buy your second upgrade (gpu). If the games are gpu intensive its vice versa.

Ddr 3 has dropped pretty nicely some time ago, don't think it will drop again. Where do you live?

Compared to your current gpu, the RX 460 is very good lol.
27 Oct 2016, 07:16 AM
Donator 11

27 Oct 2016, 07:32 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Thanks for the replies!

I'm going to play:
- CoH2
- Overwatch
- World of Tanks

Settings at (hopefully) max, at least 30fps, my (ancient) monitor's resolution is 1440 x 900.

I live in Taiwan.

I think I may need the RAM first, because 4GB just isn't enough these days.

If DDR3 isn't going to drop, is GPU going to drop anytime soon?
27 Oct 2016, 09:26 AM

Thanks for the replies!

I'm going to play:
- CoH2
- Overwatch
- World of Tanks

Settings at (hopefully) max, at least 30fps, my (ancient) monitor's resolution is 1440 x 900.

I live in Taiwan.

I think I may need the RAM first, because 4GB just isn't enough these days.

If DDR3 isn't going to drop, is GPU going to drop anytime soon?

Getting 8gb of ddr3 ram will greatly improve your current CoH2 experience and might help with a bottleneck which your current ram is cooking up. I would upgrade ram first and wait for a nice price drop on a GPU you want.

It could also be a nice idea to get something like a gtx960. They are pretty cheap here and they are pretty good cards and will suit the games you want to play very well. Don't know the price in Taiwan though.
27 Oct 2016, 10:57 AM

If you can't afford around $30 (AUD) for 4GB of DDR3, I'm not sure you have any budget.

Also, pretty much any video card will be a good upgrade compared to your existing one. Even that 1GB of VRAM probably bottlenecks the rest of the video card with modern games.
27 Oct 2016, 13:56 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Oct 2016, 10:57 AMCyanara
If you can't afford around $30 (AUD) for 4GB of DDR3, I'm not sure you have any budget.

This cracked me up!

I was looking at RAM during the summer, it was under 16 USD for a 4GB DDR3 stick. Now the price has increased, so I was wondering if it might drop down anytime soon, or perhaps go on sale (Black Friday? Cyber Monday?).

Should I just get another 4GB stick (to replace the stick I lost), or should I buy an 8GB one? Perhaps a 8GBx2 dual channel kit?

It could also be a nice idea to get something like a gtx960. They are pretty cheap here and they are pretty good cards and will suit the games you want to play very well. Don't know the price in Taiwan though.

On graphics cards, the RX 460 has the highest cost/performance ratio second to the GTX 1060, but 200USD is over my budget, so I'll stick with the RX 460.

27 Oct 2016, 16:17 PM

Should I just get another 4GB stick (to replace the stick I lost), or should I buy an 8GB one? Perhaps a 8GBx2 dual channel kit?

Yes you should get as much ram as you can afford. If you can get 2 sticks of 8GB to get 16 GBS of Ram, you are in a very good position!

On graphics cards, the RX 460 has the highest cost/performance ratio second to the GTX 1060, but 200USD is over my budget, so I'll stick with the RX 460.

Good call, solid!
27 Oct 2016, 19:20 PM

just keep in mind that graphics cards don't help so much with coh2 because of its super awesome coding. processor speed and the additional memory will help more. don't overbuy in GPU just to play coh2.
27 Oct 2016, 19:48 PM
Donator 11

This cracked me up!

I was looking at RAM during the summer, it was under 16 USD for a 4GB DDR3 stick. Now the price has increased, so I was wondering if it might drop down anytime soon, or perhaps go on sale (Black Friday? Cyber Monday?).

If you are upgrading RAM in order too play coh2, bear in mind that optimal amount of ram including windows and game only is 8GB, and it happens to go over that. Which basically means that if you want to have, say, a browser in the background (who doesnt?) or skype, you will need more than 8GB to get optimal performance.

Of course, on setups with not enough ram it uses less and so does windows, but this has pretty big impact on performance.
28 Oct 2016, 03:48 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Thanks everyone!
I am intending to play games other than CoH 2, so I'll buy the extra RAM and the better GPU.

I guess I can show off my rig after I've bought all of my parts!
28 Oct 2016, 05:50 AM

Thanks everyone!
I am intending to play games other than CoH 2, so I'll buy the extra RAM and the better GPU.

I guess I can show off my rig after I've bought all of my parts!

Can't wait to see it!
28 Feb 2017, 15:39 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Sorry it took so long, but here are the pictures!

I bought an extra stick of 4GB DDR3 RAM, and got myself a GTX 1050 Ti.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★