Login

russian armor

[2v2] Massive T34-85s Assault

22 Oct 2016, 14:56 PM

I managed to pull out this one match during my busy week, not a victory, but worth something for me to learn, just don't know what.

We have quite a good start, I would say so myself (Manage to deal huge loses to the Southern Soviet player), we managed to set up a good defensive front, but it wasn't good enough to handle what it's yet to come.

Out from no where, massive waves of Soviet T34-85s approached, threaten our defensive line. Waves got stronger and stronger every times. We were lack of fuels and lack of proper tank to deal with those massive number of T34-85s (Pz.IV would be weak against T34-85 while Panther took time and more resources to get. StuG only threaten them, not enough to take them down). After that, it just became the downhill for us.

I don't know what we could do different, to be honest (I could have chose a different commander but which one in my load-out anyway?). can someone help me out here, please?

P/s: I'm RoyalWeapon in the replay
1 Nov 2016, 00:41 AM
Senior Editor Badge

Switching the color to red as per your request. I tried to watch the replay, and indeed, something about the rules changed so the replay doesn't play out like it did originally.

I'm neither a strategist nor very experienced in 2s, but to give you at least some feedback from analyzing the replay:

Ok, the opponent of your mate goes into heavy Maxim spam (6) plus 2 Mortars and then proceeds to T4. Your direct opponent goes Penals x4 into Guards x2. The first serious vehicles appear at 11 minutes (T-70) and 12:39 (T34-85).

So, basically you had tons of support weapons and very light AT against you.

Your OKW mate builds a Kübel, 3x VG and a Rak, BG-HQ, Schwerer (at around 13 min) and then Obers x2. First vehicles is a JP4 at 19 minutes.

You build MG-42 (x2), Grens x2, Mortar, 222 and a Flame track, Pak and your first medium, a StuG at 18 minutes.

I guess the main issue is that your mate had nothing to counter anything. His VGs (and later Obers) were easily countered by the Maxims (and it doesn't help that he seems to have been using them in a single blob), their indirect fire wasn't great but strong enough to counter your single mortar.

Mech-Regiment followed by Luchs and/or Stuka while you go for medium armor probably would have worked out much better. Not going that route, at least buying SOMETHING on his side would have helped (he must have been floating tons of manpower).

Seems like you tried to fill the light vehicle role with the 222 and the flametrack, which is understandable, but both are pretty flimsy (also given that the soviets layed a lot of mines and you had no sweepers on your side). Did the flametrack pay off? I'd guess it mostly delayed your T3, didn't it?

So, very late you got out your mediums with the StuG-III (2x) and the JP4, ok, now you have tank destroyers. However, there weren't that many T34-85 out by then (they actually build more Kats). And even if you are successful in taking out the T-70 and the T34-85s, you still wouldn't have anything to deal with the support weapons. You then went T4 and Panther, which still wouldn't have helped. So what was the plan there? Just bank on close the pocket?

In terms of commanders: I figure mechanized assault would have helped you a lot, with the StuG-E and the barrage taking on the support weapons. Yeah, encirclement can work on this map, but in your situation it didn't do anything for you, right?

1 Nov 2016, 03:27 AM

Thank you for fulfilling my request. Anyway, about the game (It had been a week so I only had limited memory about that match)

Seems like you tried to fill the light vehicle role with the 222 and the flametrack, which is understandable, but both are pretty flimsy (also given that the soviets layed a lot of mines and you had no sweepers on your side). Did the flametrack pay off? I'd guess it mostly delayed your T3, didn't it?

The reason I went for flamer halftrack was to help deal with massive maxim and mortar spam from the Northern Soviet player. I must say, it was quite sad that the OKW player went for Med HQ despite heavy support weapon spam from his counterpart. Like you said, if he went for Luchs and use my medic bunker at base for healing, the match would had been over earlier under our victory.‎ I didn't realize how much the flamer halftrack had slowed down my teching speed (We lost the entire northern part so resourses were low), but I have to go the thing so me and OKW won't get steam roll by maxim/mortar spam. I won't say the flamer halftrack didn't paid off, it fulfilled its role, it was just the overall resourse game that got us. 

So what was the plan there? Just bank on close the pocket?

The commander choice was a mistake by me, I have to admit. I was panic, and then my load-out wasn't that great either. I could have just when for 3 Panzergrens with Schrecks but again, I was panic. Bad decision made by me there so...

In terms of commanders: I figure mechanized assault would have helped you a lot, with the StuG-E and the barrage taking on the support weapons. Yeah, encirclement can work on this map, but in your situation it didn't do anything for you, right?

Definitely gonna give Mechanized a try. I have the commander so let see how it would do in the future then. Anyway, thanks for the quick review!‎
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★