Login

russian armor

Spare a thought for the thankless role of community managers

24 Sep 2016, 00:11 AM

http://www.pcgamer.com/what-its-like-to-manage-a-gaming-community-on-fire

“But as one could expect I became a target for the whole thing and received a lot of death threats, threats of sending stuff to my house, releasing whatever info they could find."
24 Sep 2016, 00:15 AM
24 Sep 2016, 03:25 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

I'll be honest though, I still greatly wonder what they're usually doing when not dealing with wildfires. Even the most active definitely don't post to the degree of a real forum denizen.

But yeah, I can't imagine being paid enough to deal with those.
24 Sep 2016, 04:07 AM
Senior Social Media Manager Badge

24 Sep 2016, 05:00 AM
Senior Caster Badge
Patrion 39

From the amount of trolling Kyle does I don't think the forum warriors have compromised his mental state yet.
24 Sep 2016, 07:52 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Sep 2016, 03:25 AMVuther
I'll be honest though, I still greatly wonder what they're usually doing when not dealing with wildfires. Even the most active definitely don't post to the degree of a real forum denizen.

I assume community manager is not their full time job, rather a small role within a larger suite of responsibilities.
24 Sep 2016, 13:54 PM

From the amount of trolling Kyle does I don't think the forum warriors have compromised his mental state yet.

Perhaps they have and he lost it :sibHyena:
24 Sep 2016, 21:53 PM

I'll care about Kyle's mental health when he starts caring about mine or was surprising me with game 1 vs barton supposed to make me feel happy & appreciated
24 Sep 2016, 22:30 PM

The internet allows people to troll freely. We should, as always, treat people as we want to be treated, even when they do not always return the favor.

Obviously death threats and physical harm are completely uncalled for and I am sorry that any person feels the need for such things over a game, or at most a job (in some professional games).
25 Sep 2016, 12:43 PM

I don't think any of us would be that insane to give less than safe threats against our moderators...

right?
28 Sep 2016, 00:21 AM
Patrion 310

Relic Community management/PR could learn a lot from Atlus, as did the new SEGA CEO Haruki Satomi, grandson of Hajime Satomi (#38 Japan's 50 Richest 2015).
FYI; Atlus is owned by SEGA/Sammy.

SEGA CEO Admits They Betrayed Their Fans over the Last Ten Years... (Discussion and Opinions)

I covered this in detail months ago here:
https://www.coh2.org/topic/50966/sega-restructuring-and-the-future-of-relic-esport

What Atlus expect from reviewers (YT/streamers etc.)
https://twitter.com/JohnLHardin/status/769371699544403968?lang=eng
Not faulting the streamer or his manager for word choice, but I want to be crystal clear on what I expect of reviewers:
And let me be crystal clear on something: I will flat out refuse to work with anyone who promises "favorable" reviews. I don´t want favorable. I want honest and sincere reviews based on time spent with the game, favorable or not.

So if this streamer wants to cover Atlus games, I´m going to need him to promise me that he´ll commit time and effort into the game, and not this "favorable review" fluff.

Sonic on Life support after years of abuse:
Don't worry Sonic...maybe help [Atlus] is on the way...

Protecting and building a brand that connects with millions of fans is no easy task. After years of ignoring constructive feedback from fans, the new SEGA CEO finally realized they have betrayed fans.

Due to lack of Relic transparency for many COH/DOW/HW fans, Relic/Vancouver might as well be an alien city on another planet. No community goals/roadmap, no progress and no honesty, no consumer trust. Relic is still suffering from this tunnel vision/echo chamber mentality. This was partly pointed out by the PC gamer article linked by OP;
“What sounds like constant moaning is actually a hundred different complaints when you zoom in closer, and almost all of the issues can be handled by giving more information, by including people in the bigger picture. So I don't get numb to it, because I'm right there in the trees with my players. I can then take that feeling and use my privileged access to get the whole story and share it.”
Sanya Weathers CM, Dark Age of Camelot
I'm sure Relic will continue to attract some good talent from the Vancouver gaming cluster. But they are very bad at recording and sharing their own studio history (the good and bad) with their fan base. Relic would get more respect and trust from passionate fans if we knew more about their history and creative vision for their franchises.

28 Sep 2016, 18:24 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Invis several post.

If you want to continue, use PM.
28 Sep 2016, 19:35 PM

Invis several post.

If you want to continue, use PM.

Just so you know you're dooming him, not helping him.

If he doesn't learn to actually grow some balls he will be in some tough shit which he will not be able to get out, any nobody else will be able to help him get out as well, and he won't be able to because people like you who shield him now while you can, what happens when you can't?

As for my reply to squippy's last post.

I am not defending anyone, certainly not the trolls. If anything I'm firmly against them, that is why I believe standing up to them or just simply ignoring them is the best way to deal with them.

This is coming from a person who was bullied for a long time until a certain point, so I'm talking out of experience here.

While you, my kind sir, probably live in a quiet neighborhood somewhere in London drinking your weed tea thinking you're safe from any and all harm while the truth is you are just protected by something right now, and you won't have that same protection and safe security in a tough situation and then you will faulter, just because you were so dependent on that.

I am done with this discussion, goodbye.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★