Login

russian armor

Reanactment - Roman Empire

18 Sep 2016, 09:23 AM

I would like to share with you my hobby :D
Maybe there is someone equaly weird as I'm or maybe someone after seeing what I'm going to say/show will "feel it" ;)

So... I'm part of a reanactment group which deals with Late Roman Empire period.

You may say that we don't look like Romans. I mean the general hollywood look aka "Asterix & Obelix".
Well we don't becasue Romans of taht period did not look like this. This whole hollywood is based on a time frame of 200 years, mainly between I - III AD, while Rome history has over 1000 years so... Don't belive that Romans with short swords, big shields and segmented armor are the only Romans becasue they are not :P

What's the difference between our late period (IV - V AD) and classic Romans? First of all we are damn rich :romeoPro::romeoPro: Most of the helmets from that period were covered with silver or gold completly opposite to the helmets from I - III AD.

This helmet costs around... 6-9k euro :hansGASM: (depends on a situation but im my currecny it is about 30-35k PLN / 1PLN - 4,40 currently but year ago it was 3,70 so.. Well, point is you can but a new car :P )

And here is mine, the middle one:

Our clothes are also damn rich :romeoPro:
100% hand made embroidery

This late period is not as known like the classic look mainly becasue of the movies but it's much more colorful, rich and beautiful.

Each year during season which is May - September we travel around the Europe for events. We live in tents and simply we show how the life was 1500 years ago.

This year we were in Denmark and Austria. In Austria there was really huge event which mainly was focued on a scenarion of early christian marriage and I was the groom :sibHyena:
Just for clarification, it wasn't real wedding (we knew this) but visitor did not :romeoPro:
So you can see me here acting as a groom :P

It was like 300 visitors walking behind the whole ceremony - it was really insane.

Our group is not only military group. Each of us has some craft, we also have women in group.
For example, I'm the guy who writes things in latin. (you can see a scratch of my cheek made by sword during battle)

But when it comes to the battle with early romans I can also turn into barbarian :luvDerp:

That's all. Small overwiev of my hobby.
I will try to update this topic with some cool stuff from time to time.
Hope that some of you will enjoy this <444>3
If you have any questions, feel free :)
18 Sep 2016, 09:49 AM

Great pics. I don't do this stuff myself, but I love that it happens, as well as the HEMA scene (for the most part). I own a replica Norman sword myself, and went to see some jousting at the Royal Armouries in Leeds some years back; saw Dr Tobias Capwell fight. After his bout, he had a dent in his harness big enough that you could slide a finger between the plates.
18 Sep 2016, 11:45 AM

Cool! Have you destroyed any civilizations of importance yet? Are you gathering the salt for Carthage as we speak?
18 Sep 2016, 11:47 AM

Who cares about Carthage atm :D My only concern is Persia :P

As for the civilaztions, all I'm doing is bringing civilization (let me put this is dialog :D ):

- Knock, knock
- Who's there?
- Civilaztions ***** !
18 Sep 2016, 12:46 PM

Permanently Banned
PogChamp cools pics, clothes and helmets :wub:.
Like things like this, why people like reenactors dont invita at movie pudding hollywood scrubs :guyokay:
Will wait more stuff like this.
18 Sep 2016, 18:00 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Sep 2016, 09:49 AMsquippy
Great pics. I don't do this stuff myself, but I love that it happens, as well as the HEMA scene (for the most part). I own a replica Norman sword myself, and went to see some jousting at the Royal Armouries in Leeds some years back; saw Dr Tobias Capwell fight. After his bout, he had a dent in his harness big enough that you could slide a finger between the plates.

Personally I'm not a fan of any tests. Why? Becasue we don't have materialis like people way before us, so in most cases tests don't give you best result.
As for the sword, I will post photos of mine (2 layered) soon ;)

PogChamp cools pics, clothes and helmets :wub:.
Like things like this, why people like reenactors dont invita at movie pudding hollywood scrubs :guyokay:
Will wait more stuff like this.

Problem is there aren't any late rome movies :(

18 Sep 2016, 18:40 PM

Personally I'm not a fan of any tests. Why? Becasue we don't have materialis like people way before us, so in most cases tests don't give you best result.

Not sure I follow what you mean by tests, there. Anyway, there are still a few blacksmiths working with traditional methods.
18 Sep 2016, 18:42 PM

On a separate note: reenactors do get used in quite a few movies. They'a real boon for movie makers, actually - all those extras who buy their own costumes, its awesome.
18 Sep 2016, 19:11 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Sep 2016, 18:40 PMsquippy

Not sure I follow what you mean by tests, there. Anyway, there are still a few blacksmiths working with traditional methods.

Well, maybe I did not understand you but you said something about fight and dent - therefore I said that any dents in metal maybe by sword/axe/whatever are not very accurate becasue blacksmiths may work in a traditional way but they don't have traditional materials.

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Sep 2016, 18:42 PMsquippy
On a separate note: reenactors do get used in quite a few movies. They'a real boon for movie makers, actually - all those extras who buy their own costumes, its awesome.

Have you seen "Barbarians Rising" a small serie by HISTORY? Garden me, if they hired reanactores, they hired the worst possible ones.
19 Sep 2016, 18:48 PM

So... This is my sword. 100% forged, hand made, as well as scabbard. Of course everything is based on finds from Nydam (Denmark).

You can see that blade has 2 layers of steel. Of course edges are blunt - would be bad if I cut someone's arm during battle :sibHyena: :sibHyena:

You can see remains of this sword in Schleswig museum in Nydam's Boat room.
Enjoy.

19 Sep 2016, 19:09 PM
Donator 11

Fun stuff. I was always interested in history of rome and I agree that the marian period is overrepresented.
19 Sep 2016, 19:23 PM
Strategist Badge

Good stuff! Nice to see another period of reenactment! I used to do some medieval reenactment a while ago but i had to stop. I would love to get back into it but like you said, its expensive to do so.

More pictures of your equipment and of the events would be nice!
19 Sep 2016, 19:25 PM

Good stuff! Nice to see another period of reenactment! I used to do some medieval reenactment a while ago but i had to stop. I would love to get back into it but like you said, its expensive to do so.

More pictures of your equipment and of the events would be nice!

I will upload some good stuff but not everything at once ;)

Which century excalty did you reanact?
19 Sep 2016, 19:28 PM

Fun stuff. I was always interested in history of rome and I agree that the marian period is overrepresented.

Marian's maybe not... Republic reanactment is not THAT common, but 1-2AD definetly.
19 Sep 2016, 20:31 PM
Strategist Badge

I will upload some good stuff but not everything at once ;)

Which century excalty did you reanact?

It depended on the event, most of the time it would be based around a specific events ie a siege or a battle. One of the biggest ones I used to do was at Herstmonceux castle. Generally Late medieval but you can get away with a lot, anything between 1300ish to 1400ish :P We get people that do the right time but much different places as well and call themselves travelers.
19 Sep 2016, 20:57 PM

Permanently Banned
So... This is my sword. 100% forged, hand made, as well as scabbard. Of course everything is based on finds from Nydam (Denmark).

You can see that blade has 2 layers of steel. Of course edges are blunt - would be bad if I cut someone's arm during battle :sibHyena: :sibHyena:

You can see remains of this sword in Schleswig museum in Nydam's Boat room.
Enjoy.

Nice, how many its cost ? Need somthing like this to deal with potato :megusta:
19 Sep 2016, 21:02 PM

Nice, how many its cost ? Need somthing like this to deal with potato :megusta:

400-500 euro for sword and scabbard.
22 Sep 2016, 18:53 PM
Donator 11

You can see that blade has 2 layers of steel.

isnt it 3 layers of steel to be exact? 2 soft ones conatining low amounts of carbon at the sides and one high carbon in the middle? or was it rather made with differential hardening? (excuse my curiosity, smithing is one of my hobbies)
22 Sep 2016, 19:03 PM

isnt it 3 layers of steel to be exact? 2 soft ones conatining low amounts of carbon at the sides and one high carbon in the middle? or was it rather made with differential hardening? (excuse my curiosity, smithing is one of my hobbies)

Yea, I meant 2 types of steel ;)

Tho middle one should be a way darker but 3 blades collapsed (one broke, one couldn't be hardened and in blade steels didn't want to combine) so he used more similar steel instead of completly different.

It acts great. Flexible, springing but at the same time hard edges.

Next time I will show you my bow :hansGASM: :hansGASM:

Hmmm If I have photos maybe even now...
22 Sep 2016, 19:25 PM

Ok, so...

This is my bow. 187cm, made of yew, covered with deer sinews with decorative rings also made with sinew.

Draw - 70cm / 23kg.

Range - 300m
Range with good wind, even 350-400m.

Penetration - well, it kills :snfCHVGame:

Based on Nydam finds. Same for quiver, copy of a find.

Not my arrows* ;)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 51
Germany 29

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak