Login

russian armor

COH2 is unplayable, Game lags horribly

17 Sep 2016, 00:17 AM

Something happened over these past 3 or 4 days and I have no idea what it is.

THe game is basically unplayable as it sits now.

First of all, I always thought this game was much heavier on the CPU/GPU resources than it needs to be. Horribly coded? I don't know, it is far more demanding than it needs to be. My Skyrim looks freaking beautiful after some graphical mods, and it doesn't hog anywhere near as many resources as this lackluster in graphics game does.

Besides a slow cable internet connection, I'm using a top of the line PC, at least it was a year ago when I built it, two GTX 970's (These were the best GPU's I could get at the time without shelling out $1,000 or more for an SLI build), 16gb of 2400mhz RAM (this was the fastest RAM available at the time) an i7-4790k CPU (again, this was the fastest quadcore I could buy on the market at the time, without buying a hyperthreaded 6-core and then run into the law of diminishing returns).

I got the game on the freaking lowest settings I believe, unless perhaps it's setup for 4k settings (I have a 4k monitor) which I don't think it is, because last time I ran it on 4k settings, everything was super small, the cursor was the size of needle head, and the minimap was the size of a quarter, basically rendering the user interface unusable.

Basically, besides a slow internet connection, I got a pretty bitchin' PC, even when i run this game on the absolute lowest settings, that was meant for an E-Machine with a budget GPU added to it, it still lags horribly. THis problem came up over the past 3-4 days. I tried redownloading and reinstalling the game, that didn't fix it. What is up with COH2 these days?

I've always thought in terms of coding, COH2 was a pretty crappy successor to COH1 which would run on some pretty low end PC's within a few years into it's run as a game. Now my high end PC running it on bottom rung lowest settings can't run it.
17 Sep 2016, 00:48 AM
Donator 22

The problem is the slow internet.

Even thoguh the game is horrible unoptimized, the game should should be playabl at pretty high settings with a 970 (although I'm not sure if it can take advantage of the SLI)
17 Sep 2016, 02:00 AM

Yea but I've been playing it every day for the past 4 years and only recently in the last 3 or 4 days, has it become unplayable.
17 Sep 2016, 04:34 AM
21 Sep 2016, 19:51 PM

There's a lot of built-in input lag into the game. It was a conscious design decision which compounds any and all technical issues you hit into because the game goes from 300 ms input lag to something even worse. I wish micro mattered but in this game it barely does unlike vCOH and every other eSports game out there.
28 Sep 2016, 15:13 PM
Patrion 310

Are you getting semi decent frame rates?

A 970 is probably enough to run it @ 4k but I wouldn't expect great frame rates. I have previously run it @ 3200 x 1800 on a 290x without a problem, though the UI was a bit too small on a 27". The game isn't really designed to be run on 4k so unless you have a 30"+ monitor, then the UI will be a problem.

Anything overheating? Be a good idea to check CPU / GPU temp while playing in case something is throttling.

MSI afterburner can do both of those.
28 Sep 2016, 15:19 PM
Patrion 15

I have had a simelar problem a couple of months ago.

All of the sudden the game became incredible laggy and almoust unplayable. i messed around with my graphic drivers and game setting but ultimatly i had to reinstall the game - after which everything went back to normal.
28 Sep 2016, 15:20 PM

Its called 'Not optimizing your game' syndrome.
28 Sep 2016, 16:17 PM

Try basic stuff first like logging in to your router and rebooting it.

See if it is lagging in a skirmish.

Check other high demanding games and see if it lags or whether it is isolated to coh2.

Disable SLI see if it makes a difference.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★