Login

russian armor

Crocodile Churchil vs axis Medium and Heavy armour?

16 Sep 2016, 10:10 AM

Pretty much says it all in the title
How does the Crocodile Churchil (flamer version) do against axis medium and heavier tanks? I am guessing it will beat stugs and panzer IVs but loose to Panthers and Tigers?

16 Sep 2016, 10:46 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Sep 2016, 10:10 AMOrgios
Pretty much says it all in the title
How does the Crocodile Churchil (flamer version) do against axis medium and heavier tanks? I am guessing it will beat stugs and panzer IVs but loose to Panthers and Tigers?

- The Crocodile cannon does half the damage of the ordinary churchill/cromwell cannon, and doesn't benefit from veterancy bonuses.

- To make things worse, the Crocodile has the tendency to autorotate to face the target (so that it can shoot its flamethrower). Since rotation counts as movement, and movement affects accuracy, expect the cannon to miss a whole lot.

- Finally, if things couldn't get any worse, you can't control the target of the cannon. This means any time the target uses smoke, the cannon will hang limply by the side.

In short, the cannon is way weaker than having a single bazooka mounted on the chassis of the Crocodile.

1 stug will easily beat the Crocodile frontally.
I have never tried it, but I would expect that the Crocodile will also lose to a single Panzer IV (however, it will take time)

If somebody ever reported losing an unsupported Crocodile to a Puma, I wouldn't be too surprised.

The cannon would be, actually, quite decent at softening infantry targets. Sadly, it will prioritise firing on the heaviest-armoured targets it can find on the vicinity.

Don't rely on the Crocodile for anything else than anti-infantry duty.

PS: If you want to try What-If kind of matchups, consider downloading Janne's excellent "Cheatcommands mod". You can look the mod up on the steam workshop.
16 Sep 2016, 11:21 AM

Thank you for the reply! I was hoping it would do somewhat better vs armour. ok time for plan b I guess :)
16 Sep 2016, 12:11 PM

yeah thaths why i never build crocodille, usless if you go head to head with your opponent, only consider it when you have killed his KT with your 6 pounders so he dont have any heavy armor on the field and cant affor to build it while your church is live or your flamy will be 0 .
16 Sep 2016, 16:09 PM

The Crocodile is still very much worth it, though. The damage vs infantry it deals is simply overwhelming (due to a hidden, and uncontrollable 2nd flame weapon so OP that the devs probably forgot it exists).

It's sort of like the dual of the Jagtiger: overwhelming vs infantry, underwhelming vs tanks (and infantry is way more important/prominent than tanks in smaller game-modes).

11 Oct 2016, 13:36 PM

As Mr.Smith said, the crocodile is worth the price, allow you to deal with the infantry and team weapons, wich are basicly what the enemy has to rely on the capture the territories

a rush croc can work if you know what your are doing AND that the enemy isn't rushing staight to tiger/KT

problem is, with a croc, you will need some dedicated AT, you can pick the firefly to deal with the heavy armor or the comet for mediums

it's also as usefull as the old churchill used to be (i mean how strong it was) : a breakthrought tank with meatshield role, usefull to screen for infantry or firefly

better prepare a pair of REs otherwise it will take you ages to repair

(a bit old topic ik, sorry for digging it out)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 46
Germany 11
Korea, Republic Of 2
Germany 41

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %