Login

russian armor

OKW - How to seal a deal?

11 Sep 2016, 11:29 AM

So here is a thing. I have huge problems with turning ealry and mid game advantage to my favour to finish enemy, let's say, in 25mins. Here is why:

Most offensive opening is probably Mech HQ + Luchs. It means I have spent 130F and gain huge advatange. Now I only need to finish enemy but...

1. I can go Schwerer HQ and deploy fast P4 for total 415 fuel. It means that from the moment I made Luchs, I still need 285F which is around 11 mins of income BUT I won't have healing.
2. I can go Med HQ, medics and then Schwerer HQ and P4 but I will lose momentum becasue of time and fuel I need to put in medics, total - 470F for first P4 and a chance to finish bleeding enemy is gone.

On the other hand we have Ostheer.

Let's say we gain great advantage by sniper and double 222. For that we had to spent around 100Fuel (222 is 15F, right?). So from this point I need to make Ostwind or P4 to turn my mid game advantage into win. I need total 305 fuel for first P4 (is it 130F?) or 275F for Ostwind.

It means my enemy will have 50% less time (when compare to OKW) to prepare for a vehicle so most likely he won't be able to defend himself.

How about Brits?

Regular strat with AEC.
For AEC I need only 105F. I have big advantage and all I need right now is Cromwell to end the game. First Cromwell will come around 330F. Around 100F before any OKW medium tank.

USF is in a bit similar spot (maybe that is why we don't see regular Shermans rushes to often) becsue they need 370F for the first one so it's not as hard as OKW to seal a deal but still easier.

So here is a question. How to keep pressure on enemy between Luchs and P4, so the P4 can win me a game, instead of giving chance to enemy to rebuild and make a comeback?

I'm going to upload a replay of a such game. I belive I had big advantage through entire early and mid game but then I was stomped by choice between Med HQ and healing or Schwerer HQ and P4 which means no healing = huge bleed.

Tell me what I could have done better to keep the pressure on the enemy so he couldn't make a come-back.
I let him push me once of the field in early/mid game but I still was very confident and had feeling that I'm doing fine. Especially if you consider that around 17' I lost 30 models but killed over 60.

11 Sep 2016, 12:33 PM

I struggle with this too. Easiest answer (esp after watching Barton) is ostwind to help carry over to tier 4 and p4 or panther.

I agree that sometimes it seems like the gap between mid and late game for okw lets players that have no business being in the game back into it. This is compounded by no tech call ins like kv8, is2, pershing, etc.
11 Sep 2016, 12:37 PM

I struggle with this too. Easiest answer (esp after watching Barton) is ostwind to help carry over to tier 4 and p4 or panther.

I agree that sometimes it seems like the gap between mid and late game for okw lets players that have no business being in the game back into it. This is compounded by no tech call ins like kv8, is2, pershing, etc.

Yea, Ostwinds but sometimes you are still far away from 8CPs and second things, it insanely sstupid to pick doctrine just to fill bad design hole because, who know, maybe you gonna need different commander later? (like I needed in this game)

In the end I made 2 vehicles - Luchs and KT, and spent total 600fuel vs Stuart Pershing, medics and racks for... 385 :| If OKW had an option to "seal a deal" such hard ending wouldn't be a case becasue game would be already over.

Maybe making Flak as a side-upgrade and lowering tech cost of Schwerer HQ would solve some issues...
22 Sep 2016, 14:03 PM

Bumping this because after playing a lot of OKW recently I find myself having similar issues. Or worse, feeling like Allied factions have superior snowballing ability (Penals/Guards -> T70, Rifle Spam into Stuart, Etc.) and if I don't have a strong start the entire match is an uphill battle.

I like the idea of more accessible Obers so they aren't facing Veted/Upgraded infantry from the get-go due to their current cost/timing.

Would love ideas on strategies/builds as OKW that both allow you to be aggressive early and then maintain that momentum.
22 Sep 2016, 17:43 PM
Donator 11

It has already been said but the primary option is a Scavenge doc Ostwind. If you go mech build, then you need to rely on med kits and go Schwerer. Going backward to Battlegroup is asking for a comeback by op.

The only other real option is going heavy on mech with 2 luchs and stuka (against AT guns) or puma (against light vehicles) and playing for Command Panther. The Command Panther really shines with a heavy mech build since its vet buffs near by vehicles. Its mark target ability can easily take down call-ins like Pershing or IS2 if you have a puma in support.

V-T
13 Jan 2017, 11:23 AM

Isn't the Stuka zu Fuss or a leIG a stopgap solution for keeping up the pressure? All artillery (in my opinion) requires a reaction. Either the enemy has to do something, or face a barrage after another. While enemy is pushing to silence your gun he'll bleed resources and buys you time to get up to tier 4.

Also, many matches have been lost before you even get this far. Failing to secure fuelpoints, or letting enemy freely build fuel or ammo dumps on flags will speed up their teching. OKW is much about running around the map, harrassing enemy and not letting them even start the snowball.
13 Jan 2017, 15:23 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Jan 2017, 11:23 AMV-T
Isn't the Stuka zu Fuss or a leIG a stopgap solution for keeping up the pressure? All artillery (in my opinion) requires a reaction. Either the enemy has to do something, or face a barrage after another. While enemy is pushing to silence your gun he'll bleed resources and buys you time to get up to tier 4.

Also, many matches have been lost before you even get this far. Failing to secure fuelpoints, or letting enemy freely build fuel or ammo dumps on flags will speed up their teching. OKW is much about running around the map, harrassing enemy and not letting them even start the snowball.

Problem is, at least in 1v1 that you cannot afford to go stuka mid game and also hold it against enemy light tank and also keep pressure and push.

Also stuka can be countered rahter easily, just move your team weapons a bit to side you think creeping barrage won´t go, retreat all weak squads and move out from housing.

Leigt on the other hand is really potent and 2 leigts placed near battlegruppe and flakHQ can give enemy headache to deal with them. For brits its even worse.

After all I have found artillery pieces to be more bleed tool than pressure tool because you spend lot of resouces to get them, meaning you will have less infantry and tanks (if you go stuka) and so you will likely lose some portion of map. Artillery will pay for itself in long run though.
V-T
13 Jan 2017, 15:57 PM

After all I have found artillery pieces to be more bleed tool than pressure tool because you spend lot of resouces to get them, meaning you will have less infantry and tanks (if you go stuka) and so you will likely lose some portion of map. Artillery will pay for itself in long run though.

Totally correct. Maybe the Stukazufuss is too expensive. LeiGs are fairly cheap though, only MP required, right? And original question was how to keep the pressure up during midgame, until we're ready to roll out the heavy stuff. I think arty of some sort is most obvious answer.
13 Jan 2017, 16:09 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Jan 2017, 15:57 PMV-T

And original question was how to keep the pressure up during midgame, until we're ready to roll out the heavy stuff. I think arty of some sort is most obvious answer.

Most obvius answer right now (at least in 1v1) to "how to pressure mid game" is building light tank (luchs)
V-T
13 Jan 2017, 17:37 PM

Reading whole post again with a little more thought i saw that OP goes straight to luchs, skipping Battlegroup HQ. In this case he already has luchs, and is just waiting to get more fuel to get the pz4, but it takes too long...

Building another luchs just eats the precious fuel, and further postpones medium tanks, perhaps rushing to get luchs is the problem? Whole army lacks options, at least leIG is out of question. So is WalkingStuka. Getting Battlegroup HQ, could keep core infantry in the game and on the map longer, without the need of retreating back to base?

So maybe just get few more infantry squads, maybe pioneers with fausts? Use the luchs actively and run around capping and keeping enemy busy. Just keep the enemy from getting that fuel, to buy you time to react. And one cromwell shouldn't be the game ender. If they do get the tank, but don't control the fuelpoints, the game is far from over. Their second tank is still far away from rolling in.

Easy to say, harder to pull off. :/
6 Apr 2017, 17:02 PM

I have found that 4 volks into a luchs places a lot of pressure on your opponent
6 Apr 2017, 18:01 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Apr 2017, 17:02 PMsinthe
I have found that 4 volks into a luchs places a lot of pressure on your opponent

or 3 kubels 2 sturms into luchs and pfuss spam ;)
6 Apr 2017, 20:09 PM

or 3 kubels 2 sturms into luchs and pfuss spam ;)

I hate trying to deal with that as brits without a ton of buildings. It's as bad as okw trying to deal with brits with buildings
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 32
Peru 15
United Kingdom 47
unknown 5
United States 2
United States 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W