Login

russian armor

Advice for a new player learning the German factions

26 Aug 2016, 00:23 AM

Hello everyone!

New to this site and CoH2(130 hours played), been playing RTS-games since Warcraft 2 and Red Alert. CnC Generals was probably the first strategy game I pretty much only played online, started out as a China player but fell in love with the GLA. A friend of mine who I usually play fighting games with told me about how good CoH was so when steam had a sale I bought the game with Western Front armies and I couldn't believe what I've been missing out on. Really enjoying everything about this game(yes, even the RNG!) and I have been visiting this site alot because of all the good tutorials and humour.

We've played around 70 matches as Allies(pre-patch) with around 50% win ratio. I've mostly been playing UKF because I really like the Cromwell and Firefly tanks even though I'm more of an infantry player(I usually go mobile assault for Commandos!) Now when the patch has been released my friend decided that we should play Axis for a while so I can learn their ins and outs. I decided that Ostheer would be good for me since they also have a Sniper like the UKF and some speedy tanks and it has worked out fairly well for us. I do however feel that some tips and hints regarding their commanders would be greatly appreciated.

Some information which might make it easier for you guys to help me is that it's for 2v2 and my friend is more tank oriented while I enjoy infantry combat alot more. We usually do not play the same faction and right now I use Blitzkrieg, Jaeger Armor and the Mobile Defence doctrines. I like Jaeger most of them but would like to use more infantry oriented commanders and don't really care if it's the top tier/current meta stuff but still want to be useful since my teammate is depending on me. Ambushes and sneaking is the name of my game but do also fortify key areas if it's needed while my friend usually got a big frontline brawl going. Would OKW maybe be a better German faction for me?(Obersoldaten!) and what commander is best for countering those players who like to spam artillery/mortars? Thankful for any advice!

Edit: Is USF a more fun faction for infantry plays than UKF? I began playing SU but didn't like their infantry units very much except for Guards, Shock troops and Partisans.
26 Aug 2016, 03:52 AM

Ostheer ins't the best when it comes to infantry. Grenadiers have great abilities but their fighting capability is only decent - they were designed to fight conscripts and that is all they excel at. PzGrens can be good but quite situational, OH doctrinal infantry is not as exciting as that of other factions.

Commander choice is up to you, Spearhead and its mortar HT is good for team games. Festung support can be useful if the opponent is building emplacements, as the LeFH can steadily reduce them, or switch to counter-battery if they're using lots of indirect. Against static artillery Jaeger Armour is good, the combination of recon and stuka dive bomb can delete howitzers and there's not a single thing the opponent can do to stop it.

for your other quesiton, I think that USF has the most satisfying infantry. Every one of their core and doctrinal squads is effective and fun to use, except for perhaps Assengs which are really just an engineer squad with a bit of close-range firepower.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 90
unknown 12

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment