Login

russian armor

2 Sniper proposals

25 Aug 2016, 14:38 PM
Donator 22

One of the most challenging parts of killing a sniper as OKW or USF is that it's very hard to pull off a flank due to it's massive LOS and health. A sniper can pretty effectively take massive risks and over-extend because it will always spot light vehicles and infantry coming from afar, as well as the fact that they have ridiculous health on the retreat.

This makes it very difficult to do things like rushing light vehicles, flanking with multiple squads, etc, in order to counter it.

I have 2 ideas that could help to fix this problem; I don't think both would be good to implement, but maybe one of them.

Proposal 1: Reduce sniper LOS by 10 - 20%. I think it will have the following effects:

1. Sniper will have to play more like a support weapon. It won't be able to solo as effectively since the ability to spot counters will be more reduced. This basically makes the sniper more of a combined arms unit as opposed to a rambo.

2. It will make it easier to punish players that over-extend.

Proposal 2: Increase sniper health, but remove/reduce retreat modifiers to make them more vulnerable on the retreat.

Basically, it's very frustrating to force a sniper to retreat, than chase it for a LONG time and still NOT GET THE KILL. At that point, RNG is fucking over someone's micro.

The expected effects of this proposal:

1. This rewards players that have good sniper micro, since they're able to keep it on the field longer, and are rewarded for being able to escape situations without retreating.

2. This is more likely to increase usage of sniper as a support unit; the risk of overextending is higher since retreats aren't as effective. Using it in conjuction with mgs/inf will be more common.

3. Players can punish snipers that are mis-microed/over-extended more effectively, and flanks are more likely to be rewarded.
25 Aug 2016, 15:13 PM

I'd rather have snipers work similar to the Spotting Scope some Ostheer doctrines have: Give it pretty regular visual range on the move, but when not moving (turning would have to be counted as not moving though) it will get its current visual range.

That would require a player relying on that visual range to either invest a lot of micro into the sniper alone, or force him to use the sniper in tandem with other units, binding even more manpower and field presence than already.
aaa
25 Aug 2016, 15:33 PM

no its abnoxious. dont fix anything plz
25 Aug 2016, 16:36 PM
Strategist Badge

I like the sight range nerf but the health buff no. apart from the early game snipers almost always operate behind the lines with other troops in front. The sight range nerf would also make them more difficult to micro 'sometimes' the health buff would make them harder to kill always. MAYBE giving them a higher miss rate might help.
25 Aug 2016, 17:44 PM
Patrion 14

Nice ideas...

But this game needs light vech nerfs to be balanced before we look at this minutia.
25 Aug 2016, 18:00 PM

Both are excellent ideas.

1. Long-range killers shouldn't be able to self-spot; for obvious reasons. If sniper should self-spot, force them to remain stationary. for a while.

2. We could take your sniper health idea and extend it a bit more: reduce the luck-based defences of the sniper a bit more, in exchange for raw health. This should make sniper play a lot more predictable for both participants (rather than the RNG-fest that it is).
25 Aug 2016, 18:23 PM

I like the first idea (although I'd like to see the Soviet team retain a higher LoS than the others), but I'd prefer a 5-10% further increase in received accuracy over changing retreat modifiers.
25 Aug 2016, 19:34 PM
Donator 11

I like the second idea. I feel snipers die too quickly against long ranged units right now and lowering view range would make it even worse, while it's true that vehicles with sniper detection have not enough firepower to deal with snipers on retreat.

At the same time, I would also consider lowering the detection range of these vehicles a bit. Its too easy to find a sniper since nerf.
26 Aug 2016, 14:39 PM

Both are excellent ideas.

1. Long-range killers shouldn't be able to self-spot; for obvious reasons. If sniper should self-spot, force them to remain stationary. for a while.

the whole point of a sniper is that it sees what it's shooting at. spotting for mortars and pack howis? sure. spotting for a sniper? usually the spotter is RIGHT NEXT TO HIM.

i like the thought of a sniper's vision maxing out only when stationary though. i also wouldn't mind a combination of camo modes... not the toggle cloak like vcoh, but only cloaked when in cover and in a "move slow" mode. this would keep the sniper from being able to backpedal at the same speed that infantry advance, even while camouflaged.
26 Aug 2016, 16:02 PM

I really like suggestion 2, my biggest frustration with snipers is that i can't kill them even when they are flanked.
26 Aug 2016, 16:05 PM

I like idea of sniper's sight working like a scope.

It's BS when sniper can spot for itself and kill entire squad by shooting out of the range and moving back.
26 Aug 2016, 17:18 PM

2 snipers will cost youl ike 3 mainline infantry quads.

2 snipers will cost you like basic of your army, so.

So much hate.
26 Aug 2016, 17:21 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Aug 2016, 17:18 PMNEVEC
2 snipers will cost youl ike 3 mainline infantry quads.

2 snipers will cost you like basic of your army, so.

So much hate.

Lol, man, did you read anything more than title in this thread?
26 Aug 2016, 17:30 PM

Lol, man, did you read anything more than title in this thread?

Yup, snipers are not walking alone usually. Fact if 1 sniper was effective 2 will be twice effective.
26 Aug 2016, 17:39 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Aug 2016, 17:30 PMNEVEC

Yup, snipers are not walking alone usually. Fact if 1 sniper was effective 2 will be twice effective.

Either I'm dumb or you are the only one talking about double snipers in this thread ;)
26 Aug 2016, 17:49 PM

Either I'm dumb or you are the only one talking about double snipers in this thread ;)

Nerfing snipers thread is already dumb place.
26 Aug 2016, 20:00 PM

why are people crying so much about snipers? they are so useless in coh2, easy to kill, rewards a LOT of veterancy, take forever to pay off, tax the user with more micro, and a lot of other problems.

I really don't see the issue here.
26 Aug 2016, 21:59 PM

Or give sniper cone sight. Or a toggle between scout mode (all around sight, slightly better movement, but less sight range) and snipe mode (cone sight but better sight range, better aim time, but can't see outisde of the cone). Just a suggestion, kind of more realistic that way.
26 Aug 2016, 22:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Aug 2016, 15:33 PMaaa
no its abnoxious. dont fix anything plz

Someone makes an effort and points out with reasoning what and why they want to change something, and this is what you reply? Just like in all of your contributions. Cannot someone please ban this guy from posting more trash? He obviously doesn't know how to read and write.

@Antilles950 I think either one of your proposals are valid options, though it is more USF and OKW (not UKF) that suffer from sniper play I think. UKF can counter snipe at least.
aaa
27 Aug 2016, 07:46 AM

Someone makes an effort and points out with reasoning what and why they want to change something, and this is what you reply? Just like in all of your contributions. Cannot someone please ban this guy from posting more trash? He obviously doesn't know how to read and write.

@Antilles950 I think either one of your proposals are valid options, though it is more USF and OKW (not UKF) that suffer from sniper play I think. UKF can counter snipe at least.

most likely your 1v1 card is so bad that it is a shame to show it. Its silly to talk until you reach smth like rank 2000.

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Aug 2016, 20:00 PMzerocoh
why are people crying so much about snipers? they are so useless in coh2, easy to kill, rewards a LOT of veterancy, take forever to pay off, tax the user with more micro, and a lot of other problems.

I really don't see the issue here.

if someone have a problem playing as or against unitX then unitX becomes an issue. And OP isnt playing sniper afais even as best sniper faction OH.

1. Taking away sniper extra sight radiius is simply insane. The unit is called SCOUT sniper. Its the same as take away frontal armor from tanks.

2. sniper will only be usable in conjuntion with camping cancer (standart OH play). And will be utter shit as a separate unit.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★