Login

russian armor

Game feels dead

18 Aug 2016, 07:11 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Aug 2016, 22:27 PMBudwise
It died when Brit Cancer commander was released and then took months to semi-fix. Then they beat the dead corpse with the USF Mortar combined with wrecking OKW as a whole. I don't see it reviving any time soon.

Nice to see some admin that feels the same as I do.
It is so sad because Company of Heroes is the game that "changed" my life the most, waking my interests for history and so on.

CoH2 is not bad per se but the constant feeling that you are playing a cash cow is ruining the game for me.
Everything that is done or has not been done was because of money. While other games (e.g. GTA V, League of Legends, The Witcher, etc.) let you feel that the developers love their game and are proud of it, CoH2 never got me that feeling ever.

It always felt like a corpse that was sometimes close to being alive (before Brits) but then killed again (after Brits) only because Relic could make money out of it. EVERYTHING they did was because of the money, not because they wanted to make a game better.

Commanders were OP on purpose to make people buy them, Skins you cannot even differentiate in 95% of the time ingame cost real money for a full price game without any possibility to get them ingame (war spoils came way too late). They have a interesting system implemented called Theatre of War which they abandoned after ONE year because it didn't get them the money they wanted.

Their public relations are a nightmare. There's a good reason everybody left the position after a few months (Cynthia, Noun, etc.) because it must have felt like you have to promote something you don't like for a company that doesn't like its game.

But anyways, I am missing the point I wanted to address.

The game itself is not bad because of the lack of players, but because its no fun anymore. In my honest opinion, winning doesn't feel rewarding anymore because you win by doing bullshit against an enemy that does bullshit too.

The rock paper scissor stuff that is essential for an RTS became just a party of softcounters. In vCoH you had damage tables that at least somehow regulated the bullshit. No you have light tanks that make PaKs (their hardcounter) useless because they drive around them. Panzergrens (the counter to light tanks) are useless because a player clicks 10 times a second into the unit, making the Shreck unable to fire. Cromwell crushing everything but heavy tanks do not is also something without any sense of logic. Double 222s hunting down tanks while being a light scout and sniper hunter is also dumb.

The game itself is just a junk of dumb stuff put together and expects you to learn it in order to win. If there was any sense behind the way it is I would accept it, but there is none. After the patch that removed the shreck from volks (which I NEVER EVER blobbed anytime) without any compensation, the game is just not enjoyable as an Axis player anymore. For more than a year now (almost 2?) Axis were simply nerfed into the ground while every single Allied faction is now better than OKW or OH.

They can add a mode where Allies can fight each other, but playing Germans as a "mediocre player" is just suicide.

That's why I uninstalled the game another time and I don't think I'm gonna install it again.
I'm gonna play some vCoH on lan parties but CoH2 can suck my garden.
18 Aug 2016, 07:31 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

It died when Brit Cancer commander was released and then took months to semi-fix. Then they beat the dead corpse with the USF Mortar combined with wrecking OKW as a whole. I don't see it reviving any time soon.

it didnt just die, it was outright murdered brutally with a shotgun and then the body was mutilated with a chainsaw when all the relevant employees 'left'

once cuddletronic stopped reporting in....? with all those bugs...? LMAO this game was literally toast. It was QUITE obvious they stopped giving any flying shits.

Combine all the commanders and batshit OP or bugged units introduced? just icing on the casket
18 Aug 2016, 08:28 AM

Honestly though if you want a comparison to a P2Win game play NBA 2K16.
COH2 is lightyears ahead of that b*llshit.
18 Aug 2016, 09:35 AM
Patrion 14

glad to see people making use of utterly baseless/useless thread by turning it into a sobfest.

higfiveee, please please making your own thread and cry a river there instead infecting every other thread.
22 Aug 2016, 06:34 AM
Donator 33

I keep checking these forums to see if CoH2 will pull a "2.602", but it seems more unlikely than ever to me.

The infuriating part is that the game could probably be satisfyingly improved, but that it is against Relic's CoH2 business model.

Relic has embraced an abhorrent game-infecting business model that means I will stay away from any of their products in the future. I learned my lesson good.
22 Aug 2016, 08:56 AM

Players got into new patch every month and they thought patches allow them to experience new OP strategies.

Now they have to actually improve to get better rank.
22 Aug 2016, 09:12 AM
Donator 11

Players got into new patch every month and they thought patches allow them to experience new OP strategies.

I agree, yes, the game is not as much supported but stable meta is actually good for it and in fact we got exactly what we wanted: community is more involved and relic makes money on skins instead of p2w commanders. Wasn't that what everybody thought to be the best for this game a year ago?
22 Aug 2016, 10:33 AM

Actually, with all attention being turned to DOW3 and with relic sacking the devs that did interact with the community it simply feels like the end of the line.

Many players continue playing in the hope relic will fix all the issues ( and they are numerous ) but now it just feels futile.

Yes they improved many things and that is to be commended, but it feels like a test run for the future. However its seems obvious there will be no more major changes or improvements. We are stuck with maxim spam, and morter pits, and LV meta, and squad wipes, and buggy stun grenades, and lmg blobs, and so on.

For me personally, I would be happy if lag and performance was improved, as it makes tolerating all the BS a little easier, but I an not holding my breath.

22 Aug 2016, 12:22 PM

I like the fact that the DoW III trailers have 100k + Views, just like the CoH2 ones had before the release.
And after a few months CoH2 videos struggled to even reach 1.000 Views.

I'm wondering if DoW III will share the same fate.
22 Aug 2016, 12:47 PM

That is reason why I stopped to play as well, took a break shortly after release of cancer commander when I realised how little skill you need to carry(!!!) your team with it even in top team games, it was ridiculous, just, you know, build emplacements and place hmgs in houses around, done. Uncalled ruination of OKW which srtriped them from all uniqueness and turned into another wehrmacht combined with future buffs to already dominant allies was last nail to the coffin. I think I would not be far from the truth if i call last CoH2 year year of mortars.

Finally, after 3 years Relic got me, and not with their ridicolous P2W commanders, inability to balance game, poor performance and constant connection issues, not even with loses to maphackers but simply by ruining game design, greatest thing in CoH.

:S
22 Aug 2016, 13:54 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Aug 2016, 20:50 PMButcher

You can say what you want but Coh always used to be a bit about realism and certain factions excelled in certain aspects which they actually did well irl (Russians with heavy artillery, US with infantry, Germans with tanks, Brits with defense).

Relic's history has always been weak. For God's sake WFA on release was a version of the Battle of the Bulge in which the German was incentivized to turtle until he could bring his superior resources to bear!

22 Aug 2016, 14:05 PM

This thread is so depressing :(

I had a very dreadful feeling before miragefla's patch happened. I voiced my prediction on OKW's demise when it was still a balance mod. When the patch hit, I was bitter but still decided to play the game and tried to ignore the blatant power creep of allies.

but now seeing all these replies now hit me with the bitter truth that I'd been avoiding. ded axis ded gaem.

sigh
22 Aug 2016, 14:43 PM

what are the original vcoh devs working on?
22 Aug 2016, 15:00 PM

~snip

+10000. I deleted it on 30th june. So many AAA titles with MP releasing in upcoming months (All genres) that I cannot see myself playing CoH2 ever again.
22 Aug 2016, 15:12 PM

SC2 got 101 (one handred and one) patch since start. Its a patch every 21 day. Soon SC2 gonna get revamp balance / gameplay David Kim said. if only Coh2 could get half of it
22 Aug 2016, 15:19 PM

Game feels dead Game is dead
22 Aug 2016, 15:41 PM

Harsh but 100% true.

Sometimes trying things that may be imbalanced is ok to keep the game changing and growing but the british change was literally the dumbest f*cking thing I've ever seen done to destroy an RTS game in my lifetime. They created an overpowered cancer commander that made games go insanely long, had no good counters, and rewarded incredibly inferior players.

And then they ninja-buffed a mortar which was fine in beta testing. And mind you, they don't beta anymore; I think they only did it because the complaints with the Advanced Emplacement commander were so loud they were like, "Ok, let's not have that happen again." And they did let it happen again. I guess we should feel mildly grateful it only took them like a month to patch (and even now it's not perfect) versus the multiple-month monstrosity of OP advanced commander.

So yeah ... this game took a big hit.
22 Aug 2016, 15:43 PM

what are the original vcoh devs working on?

Many of them founded a new studio: Gearbox Software. They did the homeworld remastering and the recent Deserts of Kharak RTS. I wish them the best, but I prefer the setting and general gameplay of COH.
22 Aug 2016, 16:46 PM

If the game was dead you wouldn't whine here.

But since you whine here, it's not dead ;)
22 Aug 2016, 16:59 PM

How COH2 "feels" is a reflection of how you feel inside.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★