Login

russian armor

Satchel Charges don't even kill a Bunker...

raw
20 Jul 2013, 09:46 AM

...Penal Batallions now completely useless~
20 Jul 2013, 09:53 AM

Yeah it leaves it at about 1/4 hp. I had this complete fail manoeuvre on this winter 2v2 map (Rhzev?), where I used a scout car penal to get out behind an MG bunker, and toss a satchel. I backed up a bit and they just started to get in the car when the satchel went off. Hilariously it sunk my M3 (always forget what a huge radius they have), and killed 4/6 of my Penal Battalion.

Unfortunately, as you say, the bunker lived xD.

They are really fucking good at killing bad player's infantry in the late game.
raw
20 Jul 2013, 10:02 AM

Yeah, I just had the same experience and was like "wtf?". Don't know what to do with them man, looks like years of forced labor have shaped them into a useless bunch of cannonfodder.

Mortar it is, then. Mortar the shit out of everything.
20 Jul 2013, 10:19 AM

Eh? Penals are awesome, don't use their satchel charges on bunkers use them on infantry! I took out a full health mg squad in a church with one satchel today :D

Also penals can stand up to vetted german infantry much better than conscripts so if you lost a few vetted conscripts late game build penals!
20 Jul 2013, 10:26 AM

Satchel will deal 50% damage of the bunker. You'll only need 2x Satchels to kill a bunker.

Penals are actually quite a creative units, and quite good on certain maps with garrisons. Esp if you go scout car + penals and make drive by satchels. Altho, it's risky since the pathfinding and ai response.
20 Jul 2013, 10:33 AM

If you think Penal Battalion are worthless, you are using them wrong. They are probably the best non-doctrine infantry.

They can reinforce from merge for cheap, they do a ridiculous amount of damage from their rifles, they are monsters when they get vet and they can upgrade a flame thrower.

The satchel is still useful, strangely enough its one purpose wasn't to kill bunkers.
raw
20 Jul 2013, 11:18 AM

They can reinforce from merge for cheap,

360 is cheap now?

they do a ridiculous amount of damage from their rifles,

they actually do the same as conscripts :(

they are monsters when they get vet and they can upgrade a flame thrower.

monsters at dying...

In the end, they're just one more general purpose infantry that instantly dies to everything like the conscript, without any speciality that makes them worthwhile to call in (like guards). But for dying I malready have the conscript at 240MP who actually gets a couple of useful abilities (like AV nade).

The only thing PB are useful for is rooting out infantry nests, but in light of the fact that they already have a flamethrower (redundancy to engineers for 240MP) and that their redundant-on-themselves satchel charges can't even deal with bunkers makes them fairly worthless imo.
20 Jul 2013, 11:30 AM
20 Jul 2013, 11:36 AM

Let's forget that it kills all the infantry inside a bunker.

And forget that with the input delay it's impossible to avoid if you throw into a clump of infantry.

And that its AOE is fucking huge.

And that it kills pretty much everything.

Let's forget all of that for a second, and focus on how it doesn't one-hit a bunker.
raw
20 Jul 2013, 11:39 AM

Let's forget that it kills all the infantry inside a bunker.

You can't kill the infantry of an upgunned bunker, wtf is up with that. I mean, the game shows they're just a bunch of infantry holding a HMG, but no, they're invincible. That's pretty strange.

And forget that with the input delay it's impossible to avoid if you throw into a clump of infantry.

Err, the range is fairly short and the timer is 4 seconds. As others have already pointed out the PB will usually blow itself up with it, so I wouldn't actually use the satchel charge on enemy infantry unless I belong to the set of people that likes to waste ammunition and manpower. (I don't)

And that it kills pretty much everything.

It actually kills suprisingly few things. It's only useful against houses, really.
20 Jul 2013, 12:20 PM

Permanently Banned
Implying anyone was under the impression that Satchel should oneshot a Bunker?

Insure as hell wasnt. Ridiculous notion, tbh.
21 Jul 2013, 09:40 AM

Satchels are really just something to play around with when you are bored, or maayyybe you get creative with it/ get lucky vs a player who does not pay much attention :D
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★