Login

russian armor

Legal situation with original Relic maps?

Dar
8 Aug 2016, 12:16 PM

Originally posted over at the official forums. As usual though, nobody seems to really pay attention beyond the popular balance related topics over there. So hopefully somebody here knows:

Guys, kind of a legal question here.

I personally love high quality, historical relevant maps for custom matches - the more, the better. Now the game itself actually holds a ton of these that are either part of the campaign or the theatre of war extensions. Some have been ported to the MP by Relic, many more eventually found their way into the Steam Workshop, but mostly these are poorly ported and presented (names, texts, minimaps, previews, atmosphere settings etc).

So for personal usage, I extracted about a dozen of them, cleaned them up (campaign stuff+scar) and made them MP compatible. In part I had to completely overhaul them of course. And now they work great, they look great, they feel historical. So I wondered: Would there be an issue with sharing these on the Steam workshop since, especially with the ToW maps, Relic is charging money to access these in the game, or rather, access the mission scenarios on these maps?

So, I'd really like to share these MP-ports, but would this be prohibited?
8 Aug 2016, 12:36 PM
Patrion 14

i don't think so but i am just guessing of course.

But i do think i remember that MonolithicBacon(top coh2 map maker), once released one of the TOW map (Brody) with in association with Relic. I do not know if it was because of legal reasons or what not, or my memory might even be totally wrong.

The reason why I think it would be ok is that there are tons of coh1 remake or direct port (horrible) maps and as you said, there are already AA maps in steam workshop.

but to be sure, i think PMing MonolithicBacon would be worth it.
Dar
8 Aug 2016, 15:01 PM

Thanks, will do.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment