Login

russian armor

RTS PC games coming in 2016 ?

3 Aug 2016, 13:25 PM

I was wondering if there were any RTS coming this year.
3 Aug 2016, 13:42 PM

Is there actually any other at all but DoW3 next year? It is next year right?
3 Aug 2016, 13:48 PM

Is there actually any other at all but DoW3 next year? It is next year right?

knowing RELIC, it will be next july. it will come late & buggy.

i am trying to find an RTS NOT made by RELIC. I really wish i liked starcraft 2.
3 Aug 2016, 13:49 PM
Patrion 14

i heard somethign about cossack 3
3 Aug 2016, 13:59 PM

i heard somethign about cossack 3

And that's pretty much it for this year.

Moba genre effectively killed RTS genre, if not for Relic, we can't really expect any good RTS.

There is one more RTS from this year, but its so generic it makes C&C innovative.
3 Aug 2016, 14:21 PM

There was:
-Battlefleet Gothic: Armada
-Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak
-Total War: Warhammer
-Ashes of the Singularity
-Hearts of Iron IV
-Stellaris
And its only popular once, it's not bad at all for the first half of 2016.
3 Aug 2016, 14:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Aug 2016, 14:21 PMnewvan
There was:
-Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

While I love this game, its not exactly RTS.
Tactical strategy game yes, but not RTS as we understand it, lacks basic RTS features.

-Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak

Rides on brand exclusively, lacks any kind of innovative approach.
Can't say its badly made, but its really bland and won't keep anyone for more then few weeks.

-Total War: Warhammer

I wouldn't call any Total War game an RTS.
single player is anything but RTS, multiplayer isn't really RTS either, you have battle in real time, but just like battlefleet, there are no RTS elements true to the genre.

-Ashes of the Singularity

THAT was the RTS I meant!

-Hearts of Iron IV

Not RTS as we understand it.

-Stellaris

Its strategy, but most definitely NOT RTS.

And its only popular once, it's not bad at all for the first half of 2016.

Given how most of them are really far stretches, I'd say it is pretty bad.
3 Aug 2016, 14:45 PM

This is exact definition of RTS - "Real-time strategy (RTS) is a subgenre of strategy video games where the game does not progress incrementally in turns". Anything else is just your personal opinion/preferences.
3 Aug 2016, 14:53 PM

Don't forget poor old Grey Goo, although low player base also kills it. Also Wargaming but that game also suffers from lack of players.
3 Aug 2016, 14:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Aug 2016, 14:45 PMnewvan
This is exact definition of RTS - "Real-time strategy (RTS) is a subgenre of strategy video games where the game does not progress incrementally in turns". Anything else is just your personal opinion/preferences.

In general, yes.
In details, RTS(real time strategy) and RTT(real time tactics) are not the same, but RTT is a sub genre of RTS.

In RTS you always have resource and base management, even if limited, you still need to accumulate resources and produce new units to achieve victory conditions.

In RTT, which battlefleet gothic and total war is there is no element of resource management, you have a set amount of units which you pre-define before the battle and it is all you get for the game, no resource management, no base management, no macro element, which is mandatory for true to genre RTS game.

So to sum up, RTT game is part of RTS ganre, but RTT games are NOT RTS games.
In RTS you focus on building right composition and accumulating resources for more units and using them correctly aka micro+macro.
In RTT you focus exclusively on battle tactics aka micro only and often in much more limited way then in proper RTS game.
3 Aug 2016, 16:10 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Aug 2016, 14:45 PMnewvan

We can find more definitions you know. RTS involves basebuilding, some sort of resource gathering/management, top-down view, many units and real time.

Like Katiof writes, games like World at War are RTT.
3 Aug 2016, 16:49 PM
3 Aug 2016, 17:38 PM
3 Aug 2016, 17:48 PM

I am waiting for Gates of Hell. Release Date: Q4 2016
http://store.steampowered.com/app/400750/

That looks terrible tbh.
Plus it looks exactly like Men of War.

I can't trust any game coming from russia.
3 Aug 2016, 17:53 PM

I was wondering if there were any RTS coming this year.

Halo Wars 2 :sibHyena:
3 Aug 2016, 19:23 PM
3 Aug 2016, 21:15 PM

In general, yes.
In details, RTS(real time strategy) and RTT(real time tactics) are not the same, but RTT is a sub genre of RTS.
In RTS you always have resource and base management, even if limited, you still need to accumulate resources and produce new units to achieve victory conditions.

In RTT, which battlefleet gothic and total war is there is no element of resource management, you have a set amount of units which you pre-define before the battle and it is all you get for the game, no resource management, no base management, no macro element, which is mandatory for true to genre RTS game.

So to sum up, RTT game is part of RTS ganre, but RTT games are NOT RTS games.
In RTS you focus on building right composition and accumulating resources for more units and using them correctly aka micro+macro.
In RTT you focus exclusively on battle tactics aka micro only and often in much more limited way then in proper RTS game.

Wrong. First of all RTS games are defined as a strategy game that progresses in real time rather than turns. That is all. The basebuilding and resource gathering mechanics are the norm, but not qualifiers. RTS games with base building and resource gathering (eg. CoH and Starcraft) are not RTT games because they have those features, but RTT games like Total War and Wargame are still RTS games minus typical but unrequired elements of the genre. Second, your very post contradicts itself. If group B is a subcategory of group A, by definition it is A. What you're saying is essentially "Mustangs are Fords, but they are not Fords" which is the most unintellectual thing I've seen on this site in a long time.
3 Aug 2016, 22:02 PM

Still waiting for AoE 4.... Hope we get it right after Half Life 3 :lolol:
3 Aug 2016, 22:06 PM

Not sure if "Empires Apart" is coming 2016. Dont think so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S24KnZ1n7Ao take a look at the Pre-Alpha Trailer.
2 users are browsing this thread: 2 guests

Livestreams

Germany 31
Germany 1
Germany 665
unknown 6

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %