Login

russian armor

I'm more concerned about the Relic's efficiency

22 Jul 2016, 06:44 AM

...rather than its competence
Like the topic suggests, it has been a month since that giant patch came out. We still have lots of bugs unfixed or even unnoticed by Relic team (not to mention balance issue).

As far as I know there are at least 5 hot-key bugs, USF mortar tracking bug, combined arms bug (fixed using 2 weeks), Soviet 203mm pop bug (30 pop) etc.

All these bugs has been submitted to them by either common players like me myself or advisors and veteran streamer, yet still no change. That Mortar fix they promised to come out "early next week" still nowhere to see at Friday...

Are they on a vacation or something?
22 Jul 2016, 06:58 AM

Not a "bug", but I'm still waiting when all Brits units (Pit, Bofors, Pounder) will be visible in Match-Stats :foreveralone:

Reported just after Brits came out, Cuddle "added to database" yet we still don't have them in match stats.

Damn, even OKW flak emplacement is in match-stats.

It's not a bug but for me it shows lazyness (?) of Relic so they can't or don't bother with adding basic units to match stats.
22 Jul 2016, 07:07 AM

Reported just after Brits came out, Cuddle "added to database" yet we still don't have them in match stats.

I've never looked into the politics of Relic's workplace, but I couldn't help but notice that there were a lot of encouraging posts and communications like those 'added to database' ones shortly before those employees got the axe. I'm guessing they were trying to avoid exactly that.
22 Jul 2016, 07:22 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jul 2016, 07:07 AMCyanara

I've never looked into the politics of Relic's workplace, but I couldn't help but notice that there were a lot of encouraging posts and communications like those 'added to database' ones shortly before those employees got the axe. I'm guessing they were trying to avoid exactly that.

Well, let's not dig too much what was behind it.

Facts are simple. Brits have units like Pits, Bofors, 17Pounder and these units are not visible in match-stats. I think such thing shoul not take place. Imagine of Ostheer wouldn't have Tiger visible in match stats, or Soviets with lack of 120mm and B4. Small bug but very irritating.
22 Jul 2016, 12:02 PM

I think the B4 30 pop bug was fixed!
22 Jul 2016, 13:05 PM

B4 animation bug makes the thing slower.
il2 single strafe is also buged, making damage far outside the aim reticle.
22 Jul 2016, 13:23 PM

I work in a softwarefirma....there is no big deal to fix database entrys.

If a mortar have to long range...u go in the database and change the value from 120 to 80. Done in 10min.

I don´t know why relic need so much time...and why theire testteam is so bad
22 Jul 2016, 13:31 PM
Donator 11

yes, relics efficiency is god awful, but worse than their competence? have you ever seen kyle playing the game :D ?

or the hotfix to the hotfix to the hotfix earlier this year was a sign of significant incompetence
22 Jul 2016, 13:58 PM

yes, relics efficiency is god awful, but worse than their competence? have you ever seen kyle playing the game :D ?

or the hotfix to the hotfix to the hotfix earlier this year was a sign of significant incompetence

Hotfix conspiracy.
22 Jul 2016, 16:13 PM
Donator 11

I work in a softwarefirma....there is no big deal to fix database entrys.

If a mortar have to long range...u go in the database and change the value from 120 to 80. Done in 10min.

I don´t know why relic need so much time...and why theire testteam is so bad

I understand them a little bit. Coh2 was a project aimed on saving THQ from bancrupting, so it was done in a hurry, then they had to finish it even faster to show sega that they have ready product, not to have all their work dumped. That means the code was never refractored or tested and is impossible to read into or change. All it does is working by a set of strange miracles.

This is why they either take awful amounts of time or just let the bugs that need changes in that code be. That is also why we never seen any real optimisation or pathing (and other AI) changes. The code is simply terribly dirty, thats all. Making it work costs much more than doing the change itself in that scenario.

That is also exactly why they seem so good at adding new content and so bad at updating or fixing things.

As for the current patch, they most probably still fight with the vision bug of us mortar. This may take any amount of time from simple change to half year of work... So just wait and hope everyone.
22 Jul 2016, 17:07 PM
Patrion 27

You can be inefficient with patches and hotfixes and not lie about time frames. All we need is an acknowledgement from the CM or some form of communication about why/how/when the patch may or may not actually come out. Log into the forum, post "sorry it's taking a while," and log the hell out.

Instead we are lied to. It's happened before and Relic was eventually explicit about improving communications and being more transparent.
23 Jul 2016, 09:09 AM

A single intern could do a better job.
23 Jul 2016, 10:08 AM

Problem is there were a few people working there who were passionate about the game, but they sacked them all and kept the one guy who doesn't give a toss and needs help defeating CPU easy. Probably moved focus to next game. Though the next game is a prepubescent fantasy yawn fest (in my opinion) in line with most big games these days. Come back in two years and they may release coh3. Until then #dormantgaem
25 Jul 2016, 17:35 PM

Everyone that I know at Relic is passionate about the projects they work on. They love the games and are so proud of them. Most of them could make more in another field, game development generally doesn't pay as much as similar positions in say medical software or banking development. People are there because they love games, and they want to make games that make people happy.

They also love CoH and are proud to work on it.

I think there's lots of fair and valid reasons to be critical of Relic, or any game maker. I think where the criticism is unwarranted is when it goes from "Relic should do X instead of Y" and goes into "Relic does X because they're lazy/incompetent/don't care".

25 Jul 2016, 17:46 PM
Patrion 27

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jul 2016, 17:35 PMNoun
Everyone that I know at Relic is passionate about the projects they work on. They love the games and are so proud of them. Most of them could make more in another field, game development generally doesn't pay as much as similar positions in say medical software or banking development. People are there because they love games, and they want to make games that make people happy.

They also love CoH and are proud to work on it.

I think there's lots of fair and valid reasons to be critical of Relic, or any game maker. I think where the criticism is unwarranted is when it goes from "Relic should do X instead of Y" and goes into "Relic does X because they're lazy/incompetent/don't care".

Unfortunately actions speak louder than words. Kyle said a patch with accompanying notes was coming 13 days ago and then disappeared. Passionate or not that's a load of crap.

Tightrope just had his invitational tournament this weekend and had to ban the USF mortar. This is the second time there was a tournament with a banned unit because of game-breaking bugs.
25 Jul 2016, 17:50 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Unfortunately actions speak louder than words. Kyle said a patch with accompanying notes was coming 13 days ago and then disappeared. Passionate or not that's a load of crap.

Tightrope just had his invitational tournament this weekend and had to ban the USF mortar. This is the second time there was a tournament with a banned unit because of game-breaking bugs.

What was the last one again? Was it Captain?
25 Jul 2016, 17:52 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jul 2016, 17:35 PMNoun
I think where the criticism is unwarranted is when it goes from "Relic should do X instead of Y" and goes into "Relic does X because they're lazy/incompetent/don't care".

i'm terribly sorry, but if people like cruzz need one day to find the fix for an error, i cannot understand how the guys at relic need 10 times the amount and then manage to breaks something else with their "fix". and then break something with the "fix" to the "fix". and then break something with the "fix" to the "fix" to the "fix".
and its not just that, but the lack of communication aswell. as "doth" wrote, some news would be nice, even if it was "hey guys, we have problems, need to delay it for one week" or "sorry, we fucked up". anything would be appreciated!
25 Jul 2016, 18:00 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jul 2016, 17:50 PMVuther

Vickers when you could pop in and out of buildings to keep upping its range
25 Jul 2016, 18:08 PM
Patrion 27

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jul 2016, 17:50 PMVuther

Vickers MG
25 Jul 2016, 18:12 PM

I don't work at Relic so I don't know what's going on, and it would be unfair of me to speculate.

My point was that it's one thing to say something like, "Relic should communicate more." and another to say "Relic isn't communicating because they're lazy/incompetent/don't care".

I don't know Kyle at all, have never met him. I hear good things from both the people I know at Relic and the community I talk to. But no Community Manager wants to "lie" to their fans, because even if it gets them through a tough spot right at that moment it just makes things so much harder later on. I've heard from the community that he's been good at giving details about what they're working on, where I was perhaps overly cautious in that regard. The flip side of this is that if he gets beaten up anytime they don't go as fast as you think they should he'll be less likely to do so in the future.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★