Login

russian armor

t34/85 is a bit too cheap

29 Jul 2016, 00:07 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Jul 2016, 21:06 PMsinthe

The argument of being doctrinal is a cost is a bit of a stretch. If that were true, than all doctrinal units should be AS cost efficient as the T35/85 and then everyone would be using doctrinal units rather than core units, which was a huge problem in the game a year or 2 ago.

This doesn't make sense, the reason the 85 is more popular than other doctrinal units is because it is a generalist unit that fills a key role and is useful in all situations, rather than a niche unit limited to specific situations. The over-reliance on doctrinal units was largely fixed by making stock options better or more accessible, not by nerfing doctrinal units back to irrelevance.

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Jul 2016, 21:06 PMsinthe

There are a lot of things that need attention. When I play soviets, I almost always choose a doctrine w/ the 34/85. It's also worth noting that the most widely used soviet Doctrine in the last ESL tournament has a t34/85 in it. I believe it had a large margin of the second most used doctrine.

Wasn't the last ESL tournament prior to the patch, i.e. when the t34/76 was useless? It's hardly surprising that the majority of players will choose a doctrine with a decent medium in it, given that that is a critical capability the faction otherwise just doesn't have. Even after the MG buff that still applies - people pick the t34/85 doctrines because it provides a versatile workhorse medium, something which every other faction has without needing to choose a doctrine.

Anyway I don't see this discussion going anywhere new. After the MG buff it seems reasonable for a very slight cost increase as per the OP's suggestion, but anything more than that would be overkill. Comparisons with the p4 have some use but aren't suitable for drawing strong conclusions because there are just too many differences between the two. If you think the p4 is underperforming then that is a matter for another thread, although on second thoughts perhaps not because that discussion has already been done to death.
29 Jul 2016, 02:05 AM

This doesn't make sense, the reason the 85 is more popular than other doctrinal units is because it is a generalist unit that fills a key role and is useful in all situations, rather than a niche unit limited to specific situations. The over-reliance on doctrinal units was largely fixed by making stock options better or more accessible, not by nerfing doctrinal units back to irrelevance.

Of course people are picking it. It is good in literally every situation. It kills all other mediums easily, if it gets a panther's side it's done, it wipes squads, it is fast enough to chase pretty much everything on retreat, it's speed/turret rotation is ideal for dealing with heavies, it's cost is low enough that it's easily replaceable and it works well in numbers.

Wasn't the last ESL tournament prior to the patch, i.e. when the t34/76 was useless? It's hardly surprising that the majority of players will choose a doctrine with a decent medium in it, given that that is a critical capability the faction otherwise just doesn't have. Even after the MG buff that still applies - people pick the t34/85 doctrines because it provides a versatile workhorse medium, something which every other faction has without needing to choose a doctrine.

Anyway I don't see this discussion going anywhere new. After the MG buff it seems reasonable for a very slight cost increase as per the OP's suggestion, but anything more than that would be overkill. Comparisons with the p4 have some use but aren't suitable for drawing strong conclusions because there are just too many differences between the two. If you think the p4 is underperforming then that is a matter for another thread, although on second thoughts perhaps not because that discussion has already been done to death.

Compared to any other tank or vehicle, it's cost to utility is by far the most effective.
29 Jul 2016, 02:28 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jul 2016, 02:05 AMsinthe

Compared to any other tank or vehicle, it's cost to utility is by far the most effective.

I already pointed out why this isn't conclusively true in the case of the t34/85, why it is nigh-impossible to calculate in the case of any unit, and why cost-efficiency isn't the be-all end of balance even if it could be calculated. You repeatedly ignore this, this discussion is going in circles, I'm out.
29 Jul 2016, 15:26 PM

I already pointed out why this isn't conclusively true in the case of the t34/85, why it is nigh-impossible to calculate in the case of any unit, and why cost-efficiency isn't the be-all end of balance even if it could be calculated. You repeatedly ignore this, this discussion is going in circles, I'm out.

I've been testing this for awhile.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwAK9SnOPG4GYlGhsqjC8vQ
29 Jul 2016, 20:23 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jul 2016, 15:26 PMsinthe

I've been testing this for awhile.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwAK9SnOPG4GYlGhsqjC8vQ

Why did you put Shocktroops ?

I'll repeat myself, the whole point of the thread is not to discuss the T3485 perf vs cost, rather the indirect buff it received through the MG T34-76 buff.
30 Jul 2016, 15:14 PM

Why did you put Shocktroops ?

I'll repeat myself, the whole point of the thread is not to discuss the T3485 perf vs cost, rather the indirect buff it received through the MG T34-76 buff.

One line was shock troops the other was penals amd it's because it's one of the units I play against most often.

The thread is called t34/85 is a bit too cheap not the indirect mg buff
30 Jul 2016, 18:42 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jul 2016, 15:14 PMsinthe

One line was shock troops the other was penals amd it's because it's one of the units I play against most often.

The thread is called t34/85 is a bit too cheap not the indirect mg buff

And this is why you read the opening post and not just the title.

the t34/85 is a bit too cheap since the last patched buffed the mg on the t34/85.

I wouldn't say it's broken, but it should be made a bit more expensive, something like 385mp 135fuel.
aaa
30 Jul 2016, 18:59 PM

close this whine thread. Its bs. Problem is that makin g it more expensive will be is absolutely wrong since axis mediums arrive a lot earlier than any first su medium.
You constantly play vs 2 mediums while having t70 only.
31 Jul 2016, 17:33 PM

And this is why you read the opening post and not just the title.

I think the the t34/85 was already cost efficient prior to the patch. The mg buff brought it more efficiency. The obvious solution is to revert the mg buff to pre-patch, as the change was unintended. The tank will still be efficient and if that's because it's doctrinal, so be it, but at least show a little love towards some of the other call ins (especially the flame hetzer).
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★