Login

russian armor

Will Relic ever fix the amount of flawed commanders?

12 Jul 2016, 02:35 AM

I want to update/fine-tune the commander fixes I made for UKF and post fixes for the 4 other factions' commanders. My fixes change the abilities themselves as little as possible to make actual implementation of the changes as likely as possible, I focus on CPs and costs unless the ability is just a complete mess (like airborne combat drop). But with the current state the game is in, switching a tested and approved mortar for no reason at the last minute with an untested one that has been verified by the community to be overpowered for weeks and in need of a simple hotfix to what it was supposed to be, I wonder if there's any point in suggesting big changes anymore - if there ever was.

The state of the game's commanders right now is so bad, I want to buy DLC commanders with my steam wallet but there's nothing to spend money on. Every day I open the store up and go through the factions' commanders, sighing over how I don't even want them. Many commanders are either crappy (forward observation post, airborne combat group, hit the dirt, and on and on), don't work as intended (how the *bleep* am I supposed to have a use for calling in a scout car and assault engineers at 3 cp?), or leave a bad taste in my mouth because they're conspicuously well-designed in contrast to the other ones and I don't want to just use meta commanders (heavy cav, mobile assault). What's really strange though is how many or even most of the ones that are in need of fixes are DLC commanders. Why would Relic leave those as garbage?

The most aggravating thing is that it's so easy to fix the commanders. If I was allowed to do it, I would have all of the commanders in the game fixed in up to a week, and then let the community iron out the changes in a preview mod while I look to fine-tune the changes from their feedback and have the final version be ready in a couple of weeks. But will it ever be done by Relic?
12 Jul 2016, 03:54 AM

The commander system is absolutely dogshit. There are 3 types of commanders
1-commanders that are completely useless, overpriced medicore-terrible abilities and probably forgotten by Relic
2-Commanders that are "ok".
3-Commanders are are completely and clearly overpowered, usually completely changing the rules of the game/faction.

Since the idea of commanders, paid for "heros" that change the rules of the game, is inherently flawed, theres not much you can do. You can spice up and buff some broken and forgotton commanders, but unless they hit category 3 nobody will use them. We only have 3 slots for these "heros" so unless they break the game with some op shit to fight our opponets OP shit, your not going to get a slot.
12 Jul 2016, 04:23 AM

Yep. Truth to the first paragraph....

As for the second, I don't think it'll change that some commanders are just better than others overall since this is a DLC game. But what can absolutely be done is to make all commanders viable and worth picking for those who want to like me. I don't care that Tactical Support Regiment doesn't give me early unit buffs and rocket artillery, I want to use the cool abilities, but currently you can't buy it because it's got a bunch of garbage abilities that I've already made fixes for. What's really strange is that many of the DLC commanders are crappy, how is that possible? you'd think they'd at least be in a working state being DLC, but look at Recon Company...
12 Jul 2016, 04:34 AM

The standard method has been to release OP DLC commanders, then nerf them once sales have slowed and the complaints have started to build up. To cut the cynicism, there has been some progress made. For example see the recent changes to soviets which have reduced that faction's reliance on doctrinal units, thus opening up a few more doctrinal choices.
12 Jul 2016, 05:29 AM

You most certainly would not balance them in a week, don't be silly. You'd overbuff some, underbuff others, and getting it right would be an on going process, just like the rest of balancing a game. Relic is ignoring it because they have a skeleton crew and their priority is fixing things that break the game, rather than annoying but ignorable problems like Meh Tactics.

That said I share your frustrations and would like to see a link to your mod and would help test it.
12 Jul 2016, 05:34 AM

You most certainly would not balance them in a week, don't be silly. You'd overbuff some, underbuff others, and getting it right would be an on going process, just like the rest of balancing a game. Relic is ignoring it because they have a skeleton crew and their priority is fixing things that break the game, rather than annoying but ignorable problems like Meh Tactics.

That said I share your frustrations and would like to see a link to your mod and would help test it.

I would get every commander into working order in a week, release that to the public, and then let them test the changes. Gather the feedback, do the fine tuning and then done. It wouldn't take more than a month all in all...

I would make one, but I don't have any pipe dreams that it's going to be implemented so it'll just be a waste of time to mod it. The most I'd do without support from Relic is post collections of changes, but that's not doing anything either.
nee
12 Jul 2016, 07:08 AM

Releasing new shoddy commanders to fans make money. What does fixing them do? Make the game even more messy.
12 Jul 2016, 07:12 AM
Benefactor 392

flawed commanders?
13 Jul 2016, 07:41 AM

I would get every commander into working order in a week, release that to the public, and then let them test the changes. Gather the feedback, do the fine tuning and then done. It wouldn't take more than a month all in all...

I would make one, but I don't have any pipe dreams that it's going to be implemented so it'll just be a waste of time to mod it. The most I'd do without support from Relic is post collections of changes, but that's not doing anything either.

Okay, but what is the point of this thread then?

"Commanders are bad, but Relic won't fix them so why even bother looking into it."

This is also ignoring that Relic literally just implemented a fan created balance mod into the game.
13 Jul 2016, 14:36 PM

Ya know... there's modding...
13 Jul 2016, 14:57 PM

Okay, but what is the point of this thread then?

"Commanders are bad, but Relic won't fix them so why even bother looking into it."

This is also ignoring that Relic literally just implemented a fan created balance mod into the game.

Truthfully it's a call out to Relic in frustration to get into gear and fix this game. Not much of a point, I guess ;)
13 Jul 2016, 15:01 PM

Your voice will be drowned with the rest of us doing the same since 2013.
13 Jul 2016, 15:06 PM

I'm surprised there are still people who actually believe in old commanders revamp.

They have told us they'll look into them two and a half years ago.
Nothing have changed.

This is their answer.
13 Jul 2016, 15:13 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Jul 2016, 15:06 PMKatitof
I'm surprised there are still people who actually believe in old commanders revamp.

Nothing have changed.

This is their answer.

It's not just the old commanders. It's new ones in the WFA, even DLC ones. That's what I don't get. If you have a cash grab plan like games are built on today, why not just fix the doctrines so more people want to buy them? the only reason I can think of is incompetence - they can't actually design commanders - and stubbornness to admit that. But that contradicts with commanders like mobile assault and heavy cav which are obviously designed to be very good and are nerfed or "bug" fixed some time after release, while others always were and remain crappy but are likewise DLC.

I guess the developers won't get a pay raise from taking initiative to fixing it and the board group don't know/think about it in the first place and can make more money from putting their focus on something else. But why is it that way in the first place instead of releasing solid commanders.
13 Jul 2016, 15:19 PM

It's not just the old commanders. It's new ones in the WFA, even DLC ones. That's what I don't get. If you have a cash grab plan like games are built on today, why not just fix the doctrines so more people want to buy them? the only reason I can think of is incompetence - they can't actually design commanders - and stubbornness to admit that. But that contradicts with commanders like mobile assault and heavy cav which are obviously designed to be very good and are nerfed or "bug" fixed some time after release, while others always were and remain crappy but are likewise DLC.

I guess the developers won't get a pay raise from taking initiative to fixing it and the board group don't know/think about it in the first place and can make more money from putting their focus on something else.

I want you to make a poll for this forum and the official coh forums with this one question:

"Without Searching it on the internet, tell me right now what the "NKVD Rifle Distruption Tactics" has as its abilities and why is it considered UP?"

I can guarantee you if they never internet searched it, 85% of people will NOT be able to list all the abilities on that commander, or even know why its UP.
13 Jul 2016, 15:22 PM

Hey Prop war is awesome.

But Soviets rely on their commanders upgrading their units (PPSh) or calling in new ones (Guards, Shocks, T34/5, IS 2/U).

NKVD allows you to recon so you know where to send your conscript blob to feed rapid conscription for more conscripts.

And that's about it. :P
13 Jul 2016, 16:16 PM

Moved to "Rhetorical Question" section
13 Jul 2016, 18:29 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Jul 2016, 15:06 PMKatitof

Nothing have changed.

This is their answer.

To be fair, Relic said how long ago they were revamping the War Spoils system? They did finally deliver after a couple of years.
14 Jul 2016, 00:14 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Jul 2016, 18:29 PMDaciaJC

To be fair, Relic said how long ago they were revamping the War Spoils system? They did finally deliver after a couple of years.

When new Afrika Korps faction comes out, then we'll get our commander revamps!

right?

ha ha

:foreveralone:
nee
15 Jul 2016, 15:26 PM

No it's finally when they balance Eldar in DoW3.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★