Login

russian armor

My feelings about the game in its current state

6 Jul 2016, 06:15 AM

Hey guys!
First of all I think I have to say that this post only reflects my feeling about the game right now and is not supposed to be a definite opinion on balance since I feel there are more qualified players out there.

That being said I feel the need to express my thought about how I feel about the game right now. As I said I'm far from being a top player (usually playing around rank 5-6 with Ost, OKW and US) but I enjoyed the game quite a lot. My favorite faction was always Ostheer although it also was the faction that gave me the hardest time. I play the game since the Beta but I first started playing 1vs1 about a year or so.

I usually enjoyed working on my skills and had a lot of great feedback in the State Office.

With the last patch I feel that something has changed significantly. I have to admit that I completely stopes playing Ostheer because I feel it has become incredibly frustrating. OKW can be more rewarding but also very, very frustrating. Although not a pro by any means I usually know when a player is of better, lesser or equal skill quite well judging by micro skills, placement etc. Since the last patch I feel that I'm losing games I usually win when playing Axis, especially Ostheer.

I always felt that Ostheer was lacking something after WFA released but now it just feels like an uphill struggle without end. Brits increased that feeling a lot and now that the patch significantly changed a lot of the tools of Soviets and USF and to a lesser extent the Brits to the better and thus also increased their synergy, it's become so much harder to have fun.

I always played a bit off of the meta, never blobed, never spammed Shrecks and enjoyed myself quite a lot.

Now it feels like there's so much more strategies that are so incredibly frustrating on the receiving end. Even Viccers Spam into AEC/Mortarpit into Croc/Firefly works now vs OKW ( I know there will be a strategy to counter this, it's just one example).

My point is that I feel with the current balance I'm simply not good enough to play as Axis which I find somewhat odd. I mean shouldn't all factions be roughly the same in difficulty?

I'm doing fine with USF even without building the mortar and the faction is still fun like before. It has all the tools needed for tons of diverse strategies, some great commanders and overall feels very rewarding. Rifles are so much more enjoyable because of their durability compared to Grens especially. Mixed with Rangers I feel like I get a really enjoyable mix of units to play around with.

With OKW I feel like I'm missing the tools I need. The ISG is somewhat nice but not enough to clear buildings of MGs and for flanking I lack the needed smoke to cover. When going Med Truck I miss the light vehicle and Raketen dies so fast that it's simply not fun. So again I'm lacking something.

With Ostheer it feels that everything just comes to late. I feel like I have to play aggressive but the tools are lacking or are not suitable.

How do you guys feel? Is it just me? I mean I know there's a reason I'm ranked 5 and not 14, but I guess the game should be fun with all factions even if I'm playing on rank 1400 or so shouldn't it? I should be able to enjoy all factions without dedicating my whole private life to the game or am I wrong with that?

Note please, this is not supposed to be a rage thread nor am I in any form a fanboy. I know those accusations get tossed around here quite often but I hope to get a calm discussion going and really want to hear some open opinions on the points I brought up. Thanks guys.
6 Jul 2016, 06:35 AM
Donator 11

Yes, your not the only one. Cheer up, it'll get better and hopefully they'll balance sooner than later.
6 Jul 2016, 06:38 AM

spot on analysis. I also want to add that I feel indirect fire and emplacements, especially the emplacement commander, is just out of control.
6 Jul 2016, 06:43 AM

Thanks for the replys guys!
Thing is, I really love the game because it offeres something really unique. I have played almost 300 hours which is a lot for me. That's the reason I wanted to voice my opinion.

I also feel that emplacements added something really frustrating to the game when on the recieving end. The advanced Emplacemt Commander was a terrible idea in my opinion. Especially for teamgames. I feel so too.
6 Jul 2016, 07:48 AM

Good post. +1
6 Jul 2016, 08:01 AM

You are too modest in expressing your views,though we are in agreement on the overall message which was well articulated.
6 Jul 2016, 09:33 AM

You are too modest in expressing your views,though we are in agreement on the overall message which was well articulated.

Thank you! Overall I find the general tone when it comes to Axis/Allies balance in this forum way to harsh and te discussions are pretty one sided. I find it strange that there are sides at all. Regardless of what faction I like the most, everyone should hope for a well balanced game. I mean, what fun is it to steamroll your opponent. A close match is what makes this game so enjoyable.

That was what I find quite odd about the recent patch. Even the original mod by Miragefla was better balanced. Relic just dicided to leave out some of the changes like smoke for LiG. I just don't understand why. Before the patch stats were pretty even when it comes to win rates. Buffing Soviets and USF without giving something to Ostheer is pretty strange. The reduction of prices for T3 an T4 were really not enough. It's the early game where Ost is struggling. At least that's what I think.
6 Jul 2016, 09:39 AM

Difference here is he's not a full-blown Axis Fanboy while he might be with an OKW Avatar but at least he's not biased.

On topic: as far as OKW is concerned, now with the semi-forced use of the raketen more people start to see it's limitations as an AT gun, altho I've found much use for it when garrisoned alongside an MG.

The other things I've noticed are: Lack of a tier 0 MG, that is the requirement of the MG34 for a deployed HQ truck, which is complete and utter bullshit and fun destroyer, especially if the entire team is made up of OKW players.

Squishy Sturmpioneers in the hand-held AT infantry role, I haven't really found them overwhelmed with work, it's a risk and reward factor of either fixing your tanks or defending from incoming Tank attacks, but I have to note down that I lose them a lot more than I lost volksgrenadiers, and I never did spam volks exceot for maybe once when I tried out the Firestorm doctrine for the first time ever.

The other thing is their side grades, now what I propose is that their Schwerer HQ truck receive an optional upgrade for the Flak to be manned so the OKW doesn't get any more "freebies" anymore BUT decrease the price of the other side-grades.

For your anti-garrison problem I suggest either flamethrowers (Firestorm) or an addition to the leig, smoke, or hell maybe even a mortar like the USF.

Can't really comment on the Wehrmacht other than the Grenadiers' survival needs to be buffed up with another 5th squad member and then of course they should be balanced accordingly so they don't become overpowered.
6 Jul 2016, 09:47 AM

I completely agree. I'm getting frustrated when I play axis. I'm always behind as wehr and lacking tools as okw. Axis used to be fun to play but now it is boring. I've tried and tried but can't find the fun or should I say limited tools have destroyed the fun. Whatever the case, right now allies is the only thing that can actually give you some happy moments. Hopefully relic will understand that patch has made this game more unbalanced and fix is needed before it is too late.

It feels like someone has taken 50% of the game away from me. I can't play all the factions now.
6 Jul 2016, 09:48 AM

Difference here is he's not a full-blown Axis Fanboy while he might be with an OKW Avatar but at least he's not biased.

On topic: as far as OKW is concerned, now with the semi-forced use of the raketen more people start to see it's limitations as an AT gun, altho I've found much use for it when garrisoned alongside an MG.

The other things I've noticed are: Lack of a tier 0 MG, that is the requirement of the MG34 for a deployed HQ truck, which is complete and utter bullshit and fun destroyer, especially if the entire team is made up of OKW players.

Squishy Sturmpioneers in the hand-held AT infantry role, I haven't really found them overwhelmed with work, it's a risk and reward factor of either fixing your tanks or defending from incoming Tank attacks, but I have to note down that I lose them a lot more than I lost volksgrenadiers, and I never did spam volks exceot for maybe once when I tried out the Firestorm doctrine for the first time ever.

The other thing is their side grades, now what I propose is that their Schwerer HQ truck receive an optional upgrade for the Flak to be manned so the OKW doesn't get any more "freebies" anymore BUT decrease the price of the other side-grades.

For your anti-garrison problem I suggest either flamethrowers (Firestorm) or an addition to the leig, smoke, or hell maybe even a mortar like the USF.

Can't really comment on the Wehrmacht other than the Grenadiers' survival needs to be buffed up with another 5th squad member and then of course they should be balanced accordingly so they don't become overpowered.

Not really an Avatar of anything. As I said, I just want to have fun with all the factions and since the last patch, especially Ostheer is not really fun. In fact it's quite the opposite. Shure you can win but it's stressful, annoying and incredibly hard. Compared to USF where you dictate the pace of the game. OKW provided that pre Patch to a lesser extent but is now also forced into a reacting role. Again because I feel they lack the right tools or they come to late.
6 Jul 2016, 10:28 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Jul 2016, 09:47 AMClick
I completely agree. I'm getting frustrated when I play axis. I'm always behind as wehr and lacking tools as okw. Axis used to be fun to play but now it is boring. I've tried and tried but can't find the fun or should I say limited tools have destroyed the fun. Whatever the case, right now allies is the only thing that can actually give you some happy moments. Hopefully relic will understand that patch has made this game more unbalanced and fix is needed before it is too late.

It feels like someone has taken 50% of the game away from me. I can't play all the factions now.

Yeah, that is quite how I felt it too. I just can't make it work for me. Neither in 1vs1 nor in teamgames with friends. We were pretty good as a team and completely stopped playing after the patch hit and switched to Allies exclusive. We lost 4 or 5 games in a row with Axis without even standing a chance which felt quite unusual.

At first I thought I just can't figure out the new meta but now that I've played some games with the new patch I'm just frustrated.
6 Jul 2016, 11:25 AM

Right now I find myself having more fun playing su and usf
6 Jul 2016, 12:37 PM

If you want to improve, right now we are launching mentoring program. I´m sure we can help you with ostheer.

ON topic. Yes they are hardest faction in medium level of play, but once you hit some level mark, they are one of most succesfull factions because of good design (sniper, mg, good at gun, good infantry and good doctrinal tanks)
6 Jul 2016, 12:41 PM

ON topic. Yes they are hardest faction in medium level of play, but once you hit some level mark, they are one of most succesfull factions because of good design (sniper, mg, good at gun, good infantry and good doctrinal tanks)

Pfffffchfchfdhfhdhfhfd...

6 Jul 2016, 13:29 PM

If you want to improve, right now we are launching mentoring program. I´m sure we can help you with ostheer.

Actually I've thought about that a lot, but I have only time for about 2-3 hours per week since I'm working shifts and have a quite successful band. I think that would waste the time of the mentor and there are people around who suite the pre requisites more than me.

I'm shure there is a way to play Ostheer that works but my point is that it is near unplayable or better unfun in my skill level after the recent patch. I find that very sad because I can't invest more time to get to those levels of skills required. That means I'm stuck with the Allies factions because the are or at least to me seem to be more easy to play and overall more accessible.
6 Jul 2016, 13:35 PM

Finally someone that just wants to have fun with the game like me, well competitive scrubs, where are you all? Hiding behind your points and rank shields?! Come and face the bigger part of the CoH 2 community!
6 Jul 2016, 13:41 PM

Finally someone that just wants to have fun with the game like me, well competitive scrubs, where are you all? Hiding behind your points and rank shields?! Come and face the bigger part of the CoH 2 community!

Don't get me wrong I enjoy when I rank up and I also enjoy winning but I'd rather loose a well balanced game with lots of back and forth instead of winning an incredible one sided match.
6 Jul 2016, 14:23 PM

That uphill battle as Ostheer you describe is simple to fix. And I´m becoming a broken CD player here stating the same over and over again.

Late-game buffs in the form of the following points would fix Ostheer:

- Giving the Ostheer Panther the OKW Panther stats (that means better accuracy on the MGs and on the move).

- Increasing the Tiger I frontal armor by 30 or so points.

- Giving Panzergrens the Volks StG that´s also good on range.

- Panzer IV needs a very small penetration increase.

*Please note that those are small buffs and wouldn´t throw over the whole game but let Ostheer compete again.
6 Jul 2016, 14:33 PM

That uphill battle as Ostheer you describe is simple to fix. And I´m becoming a broken CD player here stating the same over and over again.

Late-game buffs in the form of the following points would fix Ostheer:

- Giving the Ostheer Panther the OKW Panther stats (that means better accuracy on the MGs and on the move).

- Increasing the Tiger I frontal armor by 30 or so points.

- Giving Panzergrens the Volks StG that´s also good on range.

- Panzer IV needs a very small penetration increase.

*Please note that those are small buffs and wouldn´t throw over the whole game but let Ostheer compete again.

Note that giving Pgrens the Volks StG would be a humongous nerf to their performance. The DPS difference for the two guns at far is almost negligible (you never use it for far, anyway), but the DPS difference in close or mid-range is massive. I don't have access to my dps calculator right now. However, from Cruzz's post:

Code

PGrens DPS
(stationary) 12.91 8.48 1.68
(moving) 7.9 5.22 1.19

Volks DPS
(stationary) 7.81 5.43 1.97
(moving) 4.55 3.33 1.4

(ranges are 10 - 20 - 35)

Those kind of Panther buffs are OK (i.e, they will not cause a disturbance in the force the same way as a reload buff). The real reason why OKW Panther is head and shoulders above the OST panther is the OKW Combat Blitz.

Poor OST Tiger/Panther had their Blitzkrieg ability nerfed to make them balanced, and vulnerable. The same principle was not followed when designing OKW/Brit Combat Blitz/Emergency Warspeed.

(everything else seems good)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS