Login

russian armor

So you want successful 1v1 Strategies...

17 Jul 2013, 08:58 AM
Donator 11

Greetings comrades

Firstly, allow me to introduce myself. My in-game alias is ‘Less_Mysterious_Guy’, I’m currently rank 64 and play Soviets almost exclusively. I played little of the original CoH, and have only recently made the switch from AOE3 and Total War Shogun 2, but CoH2 is rapidly becoming my favourite RTS.

I’ve been a lurker on these forums for a long while (since closed Beta), and seeing a lack of serious Red Army Strategies that remain viable after the July 10th patch (sorry in advance IronRoman =P), I’ve decided to take the plunge.

This is my first strategy guide, and should be fairly comprehensive. I welcome any constructive feedback, and will try to answer any questions newer players may have.
Here goes.

MP – Maximus Prime

Best Maps – Kolodny Winter, Minsk, Moscow Outskirts
Best Commanders – Anti-Infantry Tactics/ Guard Rifle Combined Arms
Pros – Secures early map control, provides counter to most popular Ostheer strategies.
Cons – You’d better not lose that early map control...

Essentially, you have two objectives:
1. Secure two key map locations with Maxims, including the nearest fuel point.
2. Kill the inevitable reactionary flamethrower halftrack.

So where exactly will you be setting your Maxim waypoints?

For Kolodny Winter – (http://www.coh2.org/topic/4460/map-feedback-kolodny-ferma-winter)
Place the first Maxim in the building overlooking the North fuel point, with the second moving to a building in the centre to secure the munitions.

For Minsk – (http://www.coh2.org/topic/4457/map-feedback-minsk-pocket)
A Maxim in the right-hand building complex can help lock down that flank, while the second Maxim moves to help push the middle lane.

For Moscow - ((http://www.coh2.org/topic/4444/map-feedback-kappa-outskirts)
Just grab the middle church – from here a Maxim can dominate the centre, while another Maxim will move to the buildings on the left flank to secure your fuel.

The Build

• Set up your support weapon kampanya, shift-clicking to send your combat engineer on to secure the first key map location (ignoring connecting command points). Set your waypoint there also. Say gl hf (or do a Barton).

• Train your maxim, keeping the combat engineer in the first key location till the Maxim is safely inside, before moving him to secure the second vital building. Set your HQ waypoint to your first Maxim building.

• Train a conscript. I know, blasphemy! ‘All hail the pure Maxim spam!’ Well, with mortars being so popular among the Ostheer these days, you need a counter, and these guys will come in handy later. Moving to your first Maxim location, get your conscript to cap the connecting and surrounding territory, and be careful not to overextend.

• Train another Maxim, setting the waypoint to the second location, and train another conscript, repeating the action of securing the point and capping connecting territory.

You can now fend off any early grenadier/ mg rush – don’t be afraid to move your Maxims into flanking positions to pin the enemy infantry. You can also upgrade the combat engie with a flamer to help you out – crispy barbeque mortars. Objective 1 (hopefully) complete.

At this point, 9 out of 10 Ostheer players (upon seeing their infantry torn up by Maxims) will be more than happy to focus their attention on constructing a dual-wielding dildo halftrack. I present to you two very different countermeasures:

The first, and most popular choice
, is to train another combat engie (or retreat the first, though two are useful), build T1, grab guards and construct yourself a shiny new clown car. You can build another M3 later for your combat engies to help with early bunker-busting, or focus on getting AT nades. You will of course need to select Guard Rifle Combined Arms (if you’ve even got to level 1 by now).

Unfortunately, you are prone to getting fausted where the sun don’t shine by experienced Ostheer players. Additionally, the combination of resources and building time required to get your clown car out can simply be too much to be effective against an early flamer HT.

The second option has a much higher risk/reward factor. Build Dat Zis. Use a Maxim (one that the enemy has previously discovered) as bait, keeping the Zis in an overwatch position. You could also outfit your conscripts with AT nades and get them ready to ambush, in an overall attempt to stun and two-shot his HT. If this works, it puts you in a very strong position.

Using Anti-Infantry tactics, you can constantly recon the enemy to respond effectively to any assault. You can conserve your fuel for T4 and an SU 85, to counter any early P4 rush, or for T3 tanks for assistance in rapidly stomping all over the rest of the map. Your opponent will most likely rage-quit after you begin katyusha/incendiary/fear propaganda spam to destroy the waves of angry little panzergrenadiers that begin pouring out of his base in a disorganised horde. Oh, and your shock troops can be positioned to give a warm reception to any survivors.

I hope this guides proves to be informative and/or entertaining, and I look forward to reading any responses you may have. In the future I plan to post a few more strats, with some focusing on 2v2 co-ordinated play, though for now I will be taking a short break from the game.

Farewell for now comrades, and stay safe on the battlefield.

Colonel0tto
a.k.a. ‘Less_Mysterious_Guy’
17 Jul 2013, 09:11 AM

Thanks for the guide! I might give this a try later on.
About countering that HT I think teching back for a clowncar might make you fall behind in resources, so I'd say for that ZiS. That might come in handy against the P4's as well.

Thanks again! :)
17 Jul 2013, 09:25 AM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Jul 2013, 09:11 AMWeeman
Thanks for the guide! I might give this a try later on.
About countering that HT I think teching back for a clowncar might make you fall behind in resources, so I'd say for that ZiS. That might come in handy against the P4's as well.

Thanks again! :)

Hey Weeman

Glad you've found this interesting, and you're absolutely correct. I think the only time I'd really consider going down the scout car route would be if I were facing irritating mg/bunker strategies. Even then, the zis with it's AT barrage can be pretty effective against emplacements. Still, a lot of people just prefer using Guards/ ppsh conscripts to shock troops, so I decided to come up with two options.

Good luck with the strat! ^ ^
Colonel0tto
17 Jul 2013, 09:29 AM

Thanks! Also for the elaboration on that point.
I'll let you know how it works out.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS