Login

russian armor

OKW Infantry

PAGES (8)down
28 Jun 2016, 14:37 PM

Been playing OKW 1v1 abit since the new patch, other then 80% of games involving an USF player exploiting the vehicle stack I've been finding the changes to OKW infantry a bit lack lustre. Going to list below a few issues with the current patch, that I have with non call in infantry especially by late game.

Current unit composition (eg AT now with your repair/sweeper unit) does make blobbing alot less feasible, so good on relic for that.

Volks
As with previous patches once late game hits if you don't have vet, due to wipes they struggle really badly, with no real way to gain vet since now that they can't feed on vehicles. Running vet 0 Volks into the meat grinder seems to be an exercise in futility, if you can keep them alive, and get into 4-5 star vet they are really good.

- Faust disappears at vet 4 , probably a bug, but who knows this is Relic.

- Stg upgrade should only take up 1 weapons slot. (Not being able to pickup a dropped Shrek is so painful to behold)

Sturms

Good early game apart for difficulty clearing garrisons. Seems to suffer from a jack of all trades master of none by late game, probably in the best state and a change for the better, though a few issues

- Why does this shrek still cost 90 munitions is it that much better then the wehrmacht shrek? 2 shreks for 120 munitions on the pgrens, 2 zooks for 100 munitions.

-Sappers can get a sweeper + a piat/bren, sturms get a shrek or a sweeper, pick one.

Obers
Anti infantry ability still really good, and as with all OKW units once vetted a death machine. However struggling to find a spot for them in the current meta.

- Are they purely a volk replacement? Losing the chance to snare for a more robust unit. No real value for Obers with vetted stg volks on the field.

Anyone got any other thoughts on these units since the patch? I feel like OKW is missing quite a bit without call in infantry commanders on a side note.

TLDR
OKW infantry meta needs ironing out, some possible fixes to volks and sturms needed. Obers???

edit: grammar
28 Jun 2016, 16:21 PM

Well I think the shrek could get a cost decrease its not like you can spam sturms they are expensive and as 4 man squad, can get wiped easily.

I agree its a pain that you cant pick up weapons with STG volks while the panzerfussiliers with g43 can still pick them up.

As for obers they just come way too late by the time you can build them you already have all the infantry you need.

The tanks are also very expensive considering these days you have to rely a lot more on light vehicles and the truck upgrades also cost fuel, you probably need both med and mech trucks before going for tanks which makes obers really late.

I would like too see obers moved to med truck but keep LMG locked behind 2 trucks so they don't start owning fresh squads right of the bat, this would lower the volks spam because you could have a reliable infantry alternative, right now its spam volks or any call in infantry
29 Jun 2016, 08:19 AM

VG's need a buff . their weapon upgrade is extremely lackluster and their vet is generally poor. the mp44 upgrade should at least mirror the dps output of the pg's and vet 3 should be increased from 10% to 23%
29 Jun 2016, 08:39 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jun 2016, 08:19 AMZyllen
VG's need a buff . their weapon upgrade is extremely lackluster and their vet is generally poor. the mp44 upgrade should at least mirror the dps output of the pg's and vet 3 should be increased from 10% to 23%

they are the 2nd cheapest inf unit in the game barely in front of conscripts... they do NOT need more buffs.
29 Jun 2016, 08:51 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Jun 2016, 16:21 PMJZuna
As for obers they just come way too late by the time you can build them you already have all the infantry you need.

Describes my problem with Obers at the moment exactly. At 4-5 Infantry units by the time Obers are available and with MP drain from pop cap they delay my first real tank, which is usually needed a lot more then another infantry unit.
29 Jun 2016, 09:19 AM

I think a wait and see approach for volks at the moment, maybe increase cost for the stgs if they do get buffed, but as a 250 mp unit I don't see how buffs can be dished out without increasing their cost in either manpower and/or munitions.
29 Jun 2016, 11:20 AM

Remove STG upgrade, replace with 4-5 MP40s. Or..

Add 4 stgs. Raise price 75 muni
29 Jun 2016, 11:28 AM

Or you know, make healing more achievable. 70 Fuel is lunacy :snfPeter:

You now either tech light vehicles and bleed to death because you can't heal properly, or you tech healing and have a very hard time vs vehicles. It is damned if you and damned if you don't:foreveralone:
29 Jun 2016, 11:56 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Jun 2016, 14:37 PMMoLarr
Sturms

Good early game apart for difficulty clearing garrisons. Seems to suffer from a jack of all trades master of none by late game, probably in the best state and a change for the better, though a few issues

- Why does this shrek still cost 90 munitions is it that much better then the wehrmacht shrek? 2 shreks for 120 munitions on the pgrens, 2 zooks for 100 munitions.

-Sappers can get a sweeper + a piat/bren, sturms get a shrek or a sweeper, pick one.

After playing them a bit more, Sturms maybe do to much at the moment.
-Anti tank with shreks
-AI with flamers(commander)/no upgrade
-Mines
-Construction (eg flak emplacement, pak 43)
-Sweeping
-Repair

Maybe shift AT to Ober and reposition them in the build order to T1 replacing IR HT? Obers losing the mg 34 for a shrek?

So T1 has indirect fire with the support gun, a soft AT with the Obers, and whatever role that flak HT has?

Just some thoughts, anyone actually relying on Obers at all in 1v1 with the current meta?
29 Jun 2016, 12:08 PM

Or you know, make healing more achievable. 70 Fuel is lunacy :snfPeter:

You now either tech light vehicles and bleed to death because you can't heal properly, or you tech healing and have a very hard time vs vehicles. It is damned if you and damned if you don't:foreveralone:

Luchs rush is meta for a long time now, which pretty much invalidates your argument here. The 15 fuel side grade cost makes no difference on the long run, its there, because OKW had already too many freebies and special snowflake stuff while not having any kind of limitations anymore.
Since you aren't pumping that 270+ muni into shrecks now, you can put a med crate or two with spios.
29 Jun 2016, 12:17 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jun 2016, 12:08 PMKatitof

Luchs rush is meta for a long time now, which pretty much invalidates your argument here. The 15 fuel side grade cost makes no difference on the long run, its there, because OKW had already too many freebies and special snowflake stuff while not having any kind of limitations anymore.
Since you aren't pumping that 270+ muni into shrecks now, you can put a med crate or two with spios.

If this is the current meta where does T1 fit into it? Being shoe horned into an early vehicle rush does not make for a balanced or varied faction, which I think was the reason for the changes to OKW in the latest patch.
29 Jun 2016, 12:31 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jun 2016, 09:19 AMMoLarr

I think a wait and see approach for volks at the moment, maybe increase cost for the stgs if they do get buffed, but as a 250 mp unit I don't see how buffs can be dished out without increasing their cost in either manpower and/or munitions.

Conscript cost 10mp less and they can only dream of Volks' level of scaling. Their Stgs deal more dmg than Kar98 at max range too so it's a straight upgrade for a very sturdy unit. IS is expensive as hell and don't get snare, rifles... are rifles but it's not like USF has anything else (after Mortar gets fixed). Penals are good but they are in crap tier and way too vulnerable to Luchs rush.
29 Jun 2016, 12:40 PM

Conscript cost 10mp less and they can only dream of Volks' level of scaling. Their Stgs deal more dmg than Kar98 at max range too so it's a straight upgrade for a very sturdy unit. IS is expensive as hell and don't get snare, rifles... are rifles but it's not like USF has anything else (after Mortar gets fixed). Penals are good but they are in crap tier and way too vulnerable to Luchs rush.

Agree, volks are not in that bad of a spot especially in the early game. More concerned with quality of life issue (cant pick up weapons), and late game falling far short especially now that the shrek is no longer an option.
29 Jun 2016, 12:45 PM

No they should not. the mp44 upgrade on volks makes it one of the better base infantry choices currently in game.

Volks are fine now. They have an AT snare, an anti garrison grenade and can build cover, this a great deal for such a cheap unit.
29 Jun 2016, 13:18 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jun 2016, 12:08 PMKatitof

It's absolutely not meta.

You go mechanized, Luchs, MedHQ, medic, then other factions can have medium tank out before you have your T4 up.

OKW is currently the only one who has these things. Allies are also the only ones that can have handheld AT on their mainline infantry, while axis cannot.
29 Jun 2016, 13:23 PM

LOL, are people really bitching about bazookas now that shrecks were rightfully removed from volks?

Bazookas?
29 Jun 2016, 13:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jun 2016, 13:18 PMDomine

It's absolutely not meta.

You go mechanized, Luchs, MedHQ, medic, then other factions can have medium tank out before you have your T4 up.

OKW is currently the only one who has these things. Allies are also the only ones that can have handheld AT on their mainline infantry, while axis cannot.

You might want to consider actually using the luchs after its made, you know, to push opponent off the map and force him into his own light/hard AT. That is the whole point of luchs rush, the only time you can ignore it and go for meds is if your opponent also ignored it after making it.
29 Jun 2016, 13:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jun 2016, 11:56 AMMoLarr

After playing them a bit more, Sturms maybe do to much at the moment.
-Anti tank with shreks
-AI with flamers(commander)/no upgrade
-Mines
-Construction (eg flak emplacement, pak 43)
-Sweeping
-Repair

Maybe shift AT to Ober and reposition them in the build order to T1 replacing IR HT? Obers losing the mg 34 for a shrek?

So T1 has indirect fire with the support gun, a soft AT with the Obers, and whatever role that flak HT has?

Just some thoughts, anyone actually relying on Obers at all in 1v1 with the current meta?

I don't see why sturms should have a less versatile role than Brit or USF RE. They are very expensive, take ages to reinforce, cannot be spammed for those reasons, unlike their above counterparts. The flamer commander is now even more irrelevant since it denies the schreck, sweeper. Is OKW supposed to recruit 3 sturms now to get the job done? Don't wanna try that.
29 Jun 2016, 13:32 PM

I'm really struggling with the new OKW. Soviets can give wild doctrines a try, like defensive, and still impose their army. I think that probably I still need to adjust, though. Definitely floating a lot of ammo, so using more of the sturms abilities is a must.

I too had the impression that the AI upgrade of volks is not that great, but I admit I need some more polish.
29 Jun 2016, 15:45 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jun 2016, 13:24 PMKatitof

You might want to consider actually using the luchs after its made, you know, to push opponent off the map and force him into his own light/hard AT. That is the whole point of luchs rush, the only time you can ignore it and go for meds is if your opponent also ignored it after making it.

This, Luchs rush either force your opponent to bleed his MP trying to snare you or losing control of his fuel point, either way Luchs rush is meant to be used aggressively so obviously it depends on player skills how effective it is. Also has Lelic fixed its cloak yet?
PAGES (8)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS