Login

russian armor

Volkblobs night and day, 24 7: I need guidance

13 Jun 2016, 17:47 PM

As the title shows, the amount of blobs has been getting on my nervs lately. I don't define myself a pro-player or anything, but I think I have a grasp of the game after playing the coh series since 2006.

Now, the issue: volk blobs / panzerfusiliers blobs / mixed blobs / stallin until a KT and all that familiar cheese.

I don't have problems facing ostheer and nonblobbing players, and I have tried everything the allied armies can provide: mines, demo charges, "blob more than them", tank crushing, katyusha wipes, B4s, you name it, the problem is: I never manage to get squad wipes, and not because of a lack of flanking or explosive power, they just.. get away, often with one man @1%.

This ends up with a lategame of vet5 blobs that still do the same thing they did at the 10:00 mark: march merrily towards me and, even when punished, still get the upper hand. So any advices or suggestions are appreciated.

Consider I talk from a 2v2 standpoint, I almost never play 1v1. Playercard is available for public shaming so you can shout "l2p" as much as you want if that makes you feel good. I can provide replays if requested. :)
13 Jun 2016, 18:29 PM
Donator 11

The correct answer to volkblobs is probably: wait for the patch. There is no point in learning how to deal with volk shreck blobs if they are going to be removed from the game really soon.

No other kind of blob has such AT power, so you can beat most of them by kiting with a vehicle. Also mind that you don't really need to wipe to win a game, wipes are usually pretty rarely, especially in 1v1s, but also in 2v2s and can loose player a game so players good avoid them. That means you won't wipe them unless you get really good rng or they overextend way too much. So it's generally better to master not loosing squads by yourself.
15 Jun 2016, 10:54 AM

I've tried (again) DSHKa recently and was quite pleased with results.
The main guidelines are:
- use it only with spotter (otherwise it will get flame naded and deathlooped)
- keep it slightly away from frontline and set it up on the way of enemy blob once it is spotted
- best results are achieved when you will follow-up with Katyusha barrage from minimal(closest) range once blob is suppressed

Same works for USF with M2HB.
If you find Captain too good to give it up in favor of Lt tier (like I do), you can use Airborne commander. As a bonus you will get ability to call in Pathfinders for early blob spotting.

You can throw in Pack howitzer if you go Captain + Airborne. While it is bad vs blob on its own, it gives you two things:
- you can lure blob into your MG position by firing on OKW forward bases
- cancer shells (white phosphorous) are good against blobs if you manage to score a hit
15 Jun 2016, 11:28 AM

Yes, blobs is hardest part to deal with on allied side and reason why allied 2v2 relies so heavily on rocket arty.

However, if you dont get squad wipes, you using rocket arty wrong or just terribly unlucky (it might be case sometimes, just CoH RNG, you know).

Now, assuming first part, ideally you should always have 2 pieces of rocket arty, 1st to cause mass retreat, 2nd to ruin it, for this you obviously need to scout medicHQ. Never open first barrage just on blob casually walking around. Engage them in a fight to lock in place and make it difficult to move out of barrage without taking huge damage and potential wipes (collateral damage would also increase wipe chances from rocket arty), then try to aim little behind blob to make it run trought rain of rockets, and, if possible, chase retreating blob by tanks or/and infantry. Then do second barrage on medHQ and enjoy wipes. Timing is a key, but it becomes easy with some practice.

Also, try always use rocket arty on least distance possible (it reduces scatter, which is most important in regard of kat. Kat scatter is really bad on max distance, i, personally never use kats on max distance and always prefer to drive it as close as possible, which sometimes backfires, but otherwise runis blobs days. Also, while aiming, mind that kat rockets tend to land in a crescent formation close to the opposite to kat side of a circle). And with clear vision if possible (here come socut planes and concealed snipers on hold fire).

Other than rocket arty, best way of using demos is to bite blobs into them, or place them on retreat paths (also, you can use barb wire to modify them) and narrow pases.

Another great tools against blobs aside of counter blobbing is croc, isu, sherman HE shells, brit mortar pits, white phosphorus and cromwell crush. Shermans smoke is also very powerfull tool gainst shreck blobs, you can smoke them and run over without puting your tank into any risk.

There also cute bug where propaganda arty slow effect stays on infantry units for several seconds after they stopped retreating (both to medHQ and normal base), which makes them susceptible to mass wipes, but i dont really see use of commanders with prop arty in current meta.
15 Jun 2016, 11:28 AM

Actually there is no need to score the squad-wipe, I mean sure it's annoying to see the bastard run away with his 1% hp army after A-move to your position but you have to stand your ground! Don't just rage quit or give up! You must consider the fact that after dealing a high amount of damage to his blob with anti-blob weaponry (Land Mattress, Calliope, etc. Or simply a mortar + mg combo, you can name it), it would took him a lot of time to replenish his blob. Use those precious minutes to prepare for the next enemy assault: You can either heal up your troops, reset-up your army, place mines (Very important!) and prepare for his return OR you can make an assault, find where his blobs station (If his Med is outside the base) and finish them off!

About how to deal a high amount of damage to blobs, you can check HelpingHans's series on YouTube (It's not that hard to find, ya know). He has a video of how to counter blobs, just check it!
15 Jun 2016, 11:50 AM

Should play Ostheer. You seen nothing but USF blobs with double bars and zooks, conscript blobs or maxim spam and some lovely double bren tommie spam.

It goes both ways. Entire game is about blobbing at certain levels..

15 Jun 2016, 13:04 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Jun 2016, 17:47 PMfoxer
As the title shows, the amount of blobs has been getting on my nervs lately. I don't define myself a pro-player or anything, but I think I have a grasp of the game after playing the coh series since 2006.

Now, the issue: volk blobs / panzerfusiliers blobs / mixed blobs / stallin until a KT and all that familiar cheese.

I don't have problems facing ostheer and nonblobbing players, and I have tried everything the allied armies can provide: mines, demo charges, "blob more than them", tank crushing, katyusha wipes, B4s, you name it, the problem is: I never manage to get squad wipes, and not because of a lack of flanking or explosive power, they just.. get away, often with one man @1%.

This ends up with a lategame of vet5 blobs that still do the same thing they did at the 10:00 mark: march merrily towards me and, even when punished, still get the upper hand. So any advices or suggestions are appreciated.

Consider I talk from a 2v2 standpoint, I almost never play 1v1. Playercard is available for public shaming so you can shout "l2p" as much as you want if that makes you feel good. I can provide replays if requested. :)

Here is my advise! Test it!

Go to maxim spam! 3 Maxims should it be + Guards!
Then build Katjushas! 2! Let them shoot at the same time!
15 Jun 2016, 13:23 PM

Most of these are great advices, and I've been using the double rocket / pinning on position lately with a relative degree of success, but the problem relies on the strain it puts on the whole army composition in the late game.

Maxims do work by denying areas, but OKW's manpower doesn't take a hit from it, so as soon as the game transitions into mid-late game and a stuka or similars hit the ground, I'm unable to hold my ground. Katys do provide the manpower bleed, taking out enough troops to stop an advance and force a blob retreat, but unless the enemy is sleeping, for them is just of reaching veterancy 5, because that single panzerfusilier model will eventually reach vet 5, even by simply A-moving and retreating to the medtruck.

tank kiting works until a jagdpanzer IV comes to provide cover from afar (which I've been seeing way more often than panthers; jagd into late game command panther usually) mining every single angle of the map works as long as you watch over your mines, since as soon as a squad gets roflmined out of a building you'll see sturmpioneers grab a detector.

I guess my best chance relies in a double katy investment with guards and cons to scare rushes off (at least for SU)
15 Jun 2016, 13:25 PM

Basepin OKW with 5 DshK HMGs. Kill their vehicles with oorah and rape PIVs with LendLease easy eights gifts (no teching).

That is the easymode CoH2 for you, and everyone else.
15 Jun 2016, 14:29 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jun 2016, 13:23 PMfoxer
Most of these are great advices, and I've been using the double rocket / pinning on position lately with a relative degree of success, but the problem relies on the strain it puts on the whole army composition in the late game.

Maxims do work by denying areas, but OKW's manpower doesn't take a hit from it, so as soon as the game transitions into mid-late game and a stuka or similars hit the ground, I'm unable to hold my ground. Katys do provide the manpower bleed, taking out enough troops to stop an advance and force a blob retreat, but unless the enemy is sleeping, for them is just of reaching veterancy 5, because that single panzerfusilier model will eventually reach vet 5, even by simply A-moving and retreating to the medtruck.

tank kiting works until a jagdpanzer IV comes to provide cover from afar (which I've been seeing way more often than panthers; jagd into late game command panther usually) mining every single angle of the map works as long as you watch over your mines, since as soon as a squad gets roflmined out of a building you'll see sturmpioneers grab a detector.

I guess my best chance relies in a double katy investment with guards and cons to scare rushes off (at least for SU)

U make something wrong.
How the fuck has he the time to build up Vet 5?
And.....Is it possible that u forget units? You can only focus on 1 point of the map?
15 Jun 2016, 16:10 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jun 2016, 14:29 PMArchont

U make something wrong.
How the fuck has he the time to build up Vet 5?
And.....Is it possible that u forget units? You can only focus on 1 point of the map?

It's pretty simple: game drags on for more than 25 minutes, mainly because:

a. it's rare to hold all 3 VPs since the start and for 15 minutes.
b. they focus on one side of the map (2v2, remember), cling onto 1 VP while stalling another one.
c. shrek lets blobs build up veterancy on anything that isn't infantry at an unnerving pace, it's roughly 3 shrek shots -> 1 vet or something, bounce or not.
d. against, map design dota-style which end in a meatgrinder, where eventually they take the upper hand by attrition.

More than forgetting units and leaving them to die / idling it ends up with a lack of stopping power against an increasing wiping potential.
15 Jun 2016, 18:09 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jun 2016, 16:10 PMfoxer

It's pretty simple: game drags on for more than 25 minutes, mainly because:

a. it's rare to hold all 3 VPs since the start and for 15 minutes.
b. they focus on one side of the map (2v2, remember), cling onto 1 VP while stalling another one.
c. shrek lets blobs build up veterancy on anything that isn't infantry at an unnerving pace, it's roughly 3 shrek shots -> 1 vet or something, bounce or not.
d. against, map design dota-style which end in a meatgrinder, where eventually they take the upper hand by attrition.

More than forgetting units and leaving them to die / idling it ends up with a lack of stopping power against an increasing wiping potential.

Upload a video pls
16 Jun 2016, 04:24 AM

Should play Ostheer. You seen nothing but USF blobs with double bars and zooks, conscript blobs or maxim spam and some lovely double bren tommie spam.

and you can Gen spam :guyokay:
16 Jun 2016, 05:13 AM

Well, you should use any opprotunity to push OKW off the field. Bombard their blob, come with infatry and kill trucks with at guns (gardening jp4s impossible to fight with armor anyway). Use tanks on flanks, cpaitalize on everything you can, pressure them untill they are dead.

Axis lategams is just BS, and very little can be done about it.
16 Jun 2016, 10:07 AM

and you can Gen spam :guyokay:

Forgot about that one!
16 Jun 2016, 20:56 PM

Forgot about that one!

Mp Bleed while your squads get one shot by mortars and other shenanigans
18 Jun 2016, 19:44 PM

Just wait for the balance patch, if it doesn't help, then ask the question again.

As is OKW is flat out broken nation with the most cost effective units. British early game is pathetic and mostly relies on the screw ups of your enemy rather then your actual initiative and good plays.

The only reliable blob killer is gonna be nerffed to hell, so i'm not exactly thrilled.

Tried my hand at the recent patch after several months without playing it, but other then the reliable drop mechanics it is still the same wheraboo power fantasy as it always was.
18 Jun 2016, 20:56 PM

truth has been spoken
18 Jun 2016, 20:57 PM

Just wait for the balance patch, if it doesn't help, then ask the question again.

As is OKW is flat out broken nation with the most cost effective units. British early game is pathetic and mostly relies on the screw ups of your enemy rather then your actual initiative and good plays.

The only reliable blob killer is gonna be nerffed to hell, so i'm not exactly thrilled.

Tried my hand at the recent patch after several months without playing it, but other then the reliable drop mechanics it is still the same wheraboo power fantasy as it always was.

croc is insanely good at wrecking blobs
22 Jun 2016, 23:37 PM

croc is insanely good at wrecking blobs

It is also expensive and arrives very late.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS