Login

russian armor

Adapting my Soviet BO

15 Jul 2013, 15:31 PM

I've recently been on a good run as the Soviets using the following build order: Engineer, Conscript x3, Molotovs, Rifle Command (T1 building - built with retreating engi), one more Conscript, Flamer Clown Car, AT Nades, engineer, Tankoviy Batallion (T3 building). Guard Squad or Shock Troops (depending on map/commander choice), T-70, [filler/replacement units], SU-85.

Given the current meta, I think this is pretty standard. Only one clown car (as opposed to two) doesn't over commit in case the German player opts not to build MGs and is still effective at dealing with lone Gren squads. AT Nades slow down armored cars and keep them away from your clown car (if they don't outright kill them). If I've managed to keep pretty good map control, my SU-85 comes out shortly after the P4, which I'm usually able to keep at bay (also with AT nades).

Currently, the only way I really adapt is by building a second scout car if I see two MGs before I see any Grens...but I think I could be looking for more keys and doing more to react. I'm interested to hear opinions on how this build order could be modified based on what I see from my opponent. Or in general, what kinds of things do you look for and how do you modify your build orders?

16 Jul 2013, 13:57 PM

Could an admin move this to the "Red Army Strategies" forum for me?

Thanks.
16 Jul 2013, 18:17 PM

I've stopped using light vehicles early game or any part of the game and never been happier. I just use the resources I save building more Cons and AT grenades.

The "let's get a light vehicle out early" tactic is too predictable, both sides do it even though they not much good at anything after 1 hit with any AT weapon. Skip it, save your fuel and build tanks is my advice.
16 Jul 2013, 19:54 PM

I've stopped using light vehicles early game or any part of the game and never been happier. I just use the resources I save building more Cons and AT grenades.

The "let's get a light vehicle out early" tactic is too predictable, both sides do it even though they not much good at anything after 1 hit with any AT weapon. Skip it, save your fuel and build tanks is my advice.

But as the Soviet player, you have the opportunity to build the light vehicle that hard-counters all enemy light vehicles, the T-70. And yes, I consider the T-70 a "light" vehicle because of it's low fuel cost and the ability to get to it quickly by skipping T1 or T2. The one-hit disable from a faust doesn't bother me because of the T-70's self-repair ability. Predictable, yes...but if done right, still effective.
17 Jul 2013, 07:35 AM

I'm always a little 'afraid' or sceptic about going T3. Every time I tried it so far, I got my butt kicked by P4, thinking I denied enough fuel and it wouldn't come any time soon. But yea, if you can keep that T-70 alive and even get it to vet its a really good asset. But so far I couldn't get it to vet or even alive lol.
17 Jul 2013, 20:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Jul 2013, 07:35 AMWeeman
I'm always a little 'afraid' or sceptic about going T3. Every time I tried it so far, I got my butt kicked by P4, thinking I denied enough fuel and it wouldn't come any time soon. But yea, if you can keep that T-70 alive and even get it to vet its a really good asset. But so far I couldn't get it to vet or even alive lol.

If I've gone T1 to T3, I'll usually only build one T-70 from T3, then tech to T4 for the SU-85 ASAP. However, if I've gone T2 to T3 and I'm doing well, I might go for another T-70 or T-34. If I do this, I make sure build a ZiS from T2 before too long so I can keep the P4 in check until the SU-85 comes out.
18 Jul 2013, 06:36 AM

If I've gone T1 to T3, I'll usually only build one T-70 from T3, then tech to T4 for the SU-85 ASAP. However, if I've gone T2 to T3 and I'm doing well, I might go for another T-70 or T-34. If I do this, I make sure build a ZiS from T2 before too long so I can keep the P4 in check until the SU-85 comes out.

Sounds like a smart thing to do. I should try to remember that if I'll try it again.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★