Login

russian armor

Schwerer Gustav/Dora - When size really matters

9 Jun 2016, 11:28 AM

We all know, that CoH 2 is not about "realism" or "common sense", but... ain't it strange, that 800+ mm RailUberGun performs like common 203mm B-4 Puncher? It looks pretty similar, and I guess - deals pretty same damage. And more than that - it deals 3 shots per barrage, that is absolutely against any logic, cos such beast just coulnd't shoot so fast!

I have a suggestion, which could both make that off-map strike more attractive for people and make it way more realistic = more attractive again.

I think everyone, who played in CoH 1 remember V1 off-map strike and how it worked. For those, who didn't, I'll remind: 1 shot, long time before strike, that creepy annoying sound instead of flares, huge damage (insta-wipe of everything in blast area) and huge cooldown time. I think, that RailUberGun should work absolutely same. RailUberGun should be 100% similar to "V1" strike, but only in CoH 2.

And it would work good, I suppouse. That arty would be really good tool of 1-shot breaking UKF's emplacements, like it was with V1 and Emplacements in CoH 1. It would be really way better breakthrogh tool, than it is right now. And I suppouse, that that ability supposed to be effective breakthrough tool. Huge damage at once, but at least 5 mins cooldown, otherwise - people will abuse and spam it, like they do pretty often with Stuka Dive Bomb strikes.

And of course - it all will be more realistic. Only 1 powerful shot, destroying absolutely everything (look at pics of RailUberGun shell, it's damn bigger than medium tanks!), creepy sound also can be added and of course - long time reloading. It took hours, if I remember right to reload that machine - here is only 5 mins for you! Great offer, don't ignore it! :D

So, what do you think about it? Im really sure, that such big instrument of making MASS DESTRUCTIONs, GENOCIDEs and Absolutely and Totally UNreasonable Ultra-Reich-1488%efficiency-VIOLENCE desreves to be better, than soviet kid size toy-howitzers .
9 Jun 2016, 11:31 AM

Who said it's Gustav? It's a railway gun and not all railway guns were like Gustav.

It's fine.
9 Jun 2016, 11:34 AM

why would you introduce more insta wipe abilities
9 Jun 2016, 11:34 AM

Who said it's Gustav? It's a railway gun and not all railway guns were like Gustav.

It's fine.

Well, why not to make it "Gustav"? You know, sometimes it says that "Schwerer Gustav is ready to fire", when ability becomes ready to use, so... who knows.

Anyway, I think V1-like offmap stirke would be way more useful for breaking defensive lines, than those pathetic and inaccurate 3 shots. Specially for that count of ammo, which you need to spend on it.
9 Jun 2016, 11:38 AM

Well, why not to make it "Gustav"? You know, sometimes it says that "Schwerer Gustav is ready to fire", when ability becomes ready to use, so... who knows.

Anyway, I think V1-like offmap stirke would be way more useful for breaking defensive lines, than those pathetic and inaccurate 3 shots. Specially for that count of ammo, which you need to spend on it.

Becasue we don't need insta win abilities.
9 Jun 2016, 11:40 AM

I agree that railway artillery is mostly useless now, but you might as well just replace it with the Stuck dive bomb ability since it's pretty much as described here.
9 Jun 2016, 11:45 AM

Do we have to expect another "Germany-gets-all-cool-stuff-while-SU-is-underpowered" thread when you will find yourself on recieving end of V1 offmap?

Oh, by the way, that powerful one-hit ability is already in game - it is called Stuka Dive Bomb.
9 Jun 2016, 11:50 AM
Donator 11

I agree that railway artillery is mostly useless now, but you might as well just replace it with the Stuck dive bomb ability since it's pretty much as described here.

It is a little different but in fact current railway arty can be often used as substitute of stuka dive bomb. Just like bomb you can use it to insta-kill static artillery (first shot always goes dead middle) or cross blobs retreat path. It doesn't neutralise capture point but due to long time it takes to go down with all its shells it can be used as great area denial tool stopping opponent from capturing your point or going through narrow (or actually not even that narrow) pass with his units. Aditionally, it is also often worth to use in micro-management heavy tank battles, opponent often will ignore it if he is really busy outmicroing your tanks and it can deal good damage against vehicles if it hits.
9 Jun 2016, 11:51 AM

dude just stop posting these un necessary threads
9 Jun 2016, 11:51 AM

Becasue we don't need insta win abilities.

Well... it's not insta win. It shouldn't wipe everything in big area, giving no chanses for enemy to resist. Wipe everything in medium area for high ammo cost and with huge cooldown would work just fine! Your enemy built a big defensive line, which you just can't penetrate with your infantry or tanks or even artillery? Call RailUberGun, clear it out and rush in. Medium area of blast means, that it will only clear few structures or units, but saving enemy forces in general. No insta-win, but only way to break enemy resistance and get one for long period chanse to take advantage in game. I don't see anything bad in that. At least, it wasn't bad in CoH 1 at least, why should it be bad here?

And also... if it's allowable to have "insta-win" ability for UKF (Air supremacy), why not allow to Ostheers to have such one? It will work different, 1 strike, instead of mass of bombers, at lesser area but with same effect - clear some territory for to push and rush in that.

9 Jun 2016, 11:53 AM

And why would you do that?
They have similar AoE but railway is stronger against tanks + it has 2 shells more.
9 Jun 2016, 11:58 AM

Massively predictable ability, Red flares, noise, time to hit.

The only things it hits are emplacements, and even then they just brace for free to survive the extremely costly railway.

But ofc blobbing allies wont want an actual effective antiblob offmap, they whine quite a lot about the stuka bomb hahaha.
9 Jun 2016, 11:59 AM

And why would you do that?
They have similar AoE but railway is stronger against tanks + it has 2 shells more.

As if you will ever hit tanks with it lol.
9 Jun 2016, 12:06 PM

Massively predictable ability, Red flares, noise, time to hit.

The only things it hits are emplacements, and even then they just brace for free to survive the extremely costly railway.

But ofc blobbing allies wont want an actual effective antiblob offmap, they whine quite a lot about the stuka bomb hahaha.

Well... Stuka bomb is pretty retarded ability. It has enourmosly large AoE, 100% accuracy and 100% killing all infantry, even those, who stand right on line of "AoE circle". + Not so big cooldown time.

Upgraded Railway arty also wouldn't be effective against infantry blobs, because they will defenitely have more than 8-7 secs to move away from blast area. First of all it should clear out defensive structures. Or, make enemy move from good defensive positions, for you could push there easier.
9 Jun 2016, 12:09 PM
Donator 11

They should probably remove this line. The effects and size of a shell are rather the ones of 280mm Kanone 5 and this is also much more probable gun as support for frontline. It was widely used during whole war, while gustav was used only once and without success, it was simply to big to easily move around the front and needed a lot of work to fire every single shell, while Kanone 5 could be simply driven to a place where it could fire, often without disassembly and start firing.

Also gustav was used only in the siege of Sevastopol, in 1942. The game is placed around 1944-45 so there is no chance this is gustav, taking that into consideration, the line about gustav is simply a mistake.
9 Jun 2016, 12:11 PM

As if you will ever hit tanks with it lol.

And your point?

1+2 shells vs 1 bomb with almost identical AoE
9 Jun 2016, 12:38 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Jun 2016, 11:51 AMDAZ187
dude just stop posting these un necessary threads

+1
9 Jun 2016, 12:39 PM

Well... Stuka bomb is pretty retarded ability. It has enourmosly large AoE, 100% accuracy and 100% killing all infantry, even those, who stand right on line of "AoE circle". + Not so big cooldown time.

Upgraded Railway arty also wouldn't be effective against infantry blobs, because they will defenitely have more than 8-7 secs to move away from blast area. First of all it should clear out defensive structures. Or, make enemy move from good defensive positions, for you could push there easier.

You're complaining about the stuka bomb yet you want an even more powerful version of it?

If left as is, railway will still fail vs everything, brace doesnt care about ur 800mm canon lels, and everything can easily move out of the way anyways.

Not wasting +200 ammo on american / brit trenches lol.
9 Jun 2016, 13:08 PM

dont reply to him, allied fanboy has spoken. ITS FINE SO LEAVE IT AS IT IS.

---
i like the idea overall, the gustav is only found in unused commanders anyways. it would definitly boost them. but it wont happen due to lelic being lazy, so yeah
9 Jun 2016, 13:10 PM

i like the idea overall, the gustav is only found in unused commanders anyways. it would definitly boost them. but it wont happen due to lelic being lazy, so yeah

I thought Osttruppen was used a lot?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS