Relic leaks again.

7 Jun 2016, 22:21 PM

Relic why you are selling me custom commander abilties if I cant make them

Vez
7 Jun 2016, 22:38 PM

Interesting...
7 Jun 2016, 23:04 PM

https://www.coh2.org/topic/49615/title

bring it. pls. %0.0000001 increased accuracy is useless.
7 Jun 2016, 23:42 PM
Donator 11

I like how theyve been pulled from the store now, and so has the hetzer bulletin....
7 Jun 2016, 23:59 PM

I hope it will be buyable with real money, too. Because I already used all my supply, not knowing that there will be maybe things which could actually be useful.
nee
8 Jun 2016, 13:40 PM

Looks like it's just a bundle of X amount of items worth 12000 supply points. A sort of "surprise me" choice.

I don't see how any of this or that in the pic suggests custom commanders.

But let's suppose they are: pulling them from store suggests they don't want it in live game.
8 Jun 2016, 14:55 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Jun 2016, 13:40 PMnee
Looks like it's just a bundle of X amount of items worth 12000 supply points. A sort of "surprise me" choice.

I don't see how any of this or that in the pic suggests custom commanders.

But let's suppose they are: pulling them from store suggests they don't want it in live game.

Only last bundle was "surprise me", first 2 were saying something like "Get 5 abilities from WFA\OST commanders"
8 Jun 2016, 16:58 PM

We've been getting these leaks from Relic about custom commander abilities for some time now, I don't think it's anything new but yeah, they might be just moving on with all of this, meaning one final feature before they leave the game as it is.
8 Jun 2016, 20:36 PM

Please no. For the love of all that is CoH-y. They won't balance that system in a 1000 years.
8 Jun 2016, 21:02 PM

Please no. For the love of all that is CoH-y. They won't balance that system in a 1000 years.

This. 10,000 times this.
8 Jun 2016, 21:25 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Jun 2016, 21:02 PMWygrif

This. 10,000 times this.
Customization systems are a critical part of RTS games. You are always sacrificing something for something else. That adds a certain level of decesion making for the players to make.

If you are happy with that %0.0000000000000000000001 bigger penis for your REs then you guys are a minority.
8 Jun 2016, 22:30 PM

Customization systems are a critical part of RTS games. You are always sacrificing something for something else. That adds a certain level of decesion making for the players to make.

If you are happy with that %0.0000000000000000000001 bigger penis for your REs then you guys are a minority.

That's just wrong. There are plenty of top quality RTS that have no customization systems. Star Craft, War Craft, the entirety of the Command and Conquer series, Grey Goo, Age of Empires, etc.

Adding custom commanders is a bad idea. Aside from the very real balance issues that this would cause* this game has already got a learning curve that kills its appeal to newer players.

*Do you want to play against advanced emplacements plus landmattress plus arty cover? Or Stuka Loiter plus Tiger plus puma? I sure don't. I also don't want to suffer through the next 12 months while they figure out how to price them correctly
8 Jun 2016, 22:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Jun 2016, 22:30 PMWygrif

That's just wrong. There are plenty of top quality RTS that have no customization systems. Star Craft, War Craft, the entirety of the Command and Conquer series, Grey Goo, Age of Empires, etc.

Adding custom commanders is a bad idea. Aside from the very real balance issues that this would cause* this game has already got a learning curve that kills its appeal to newer players.

*Do you want to play against advanced emplacements plus landmattress plus arty cover? Or Stuka Loiter plus Tiger plus puma? I sure don't. I also don't want to suffer through the next 12 months while they figure out how to price them correctly

You know they can make custom commanders to be less OP right?
You should be able to pick one or the other.
8 Jun 2016, 22:37 PM

That kind of thing won't happen, ever. Tiger elephant stugE etc all in the same doc.

It will probably be an advanced, upgraded version of the bulletin system.
9 Jun 2016, 01:21 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Jun 2016, 22:30 PMWygrif
That's just wrong. There are plenty of top quality RTS that have no customization systems. Star Craft, War Craft
Arcade / UMS / single player in SC2 (kind of not related to the point, I understand.)
the entirety of the Command and Conquer series
Generals had generals and general points, Red Alert 2 had different nations kinda like AoE2
Grey Goo
Top quality? More like top kek LUL
Age of Empires, etc.
JAPANESE TREBUCHET > ALL TREBUCHET. MONGOL CAVALRY ARCHERS OP PLS NERF

Edit: Actually, I think a huge change up is upgrades vs customization. A lot of those games have upgrade paths to choose from, but CoH2 doesn't... really have them, at least not to any considerable extent. There should be more stuff at default IMO, like all Grens should be able to choose between G43 and LMG, and Conscripts should have a single DP upgrade, armored skirts global upgrade from base costing munitions, tungsten rounds for USF AT being a late game upgrade instead of an ability, and so on.
9 Jun 2016, 01:42 AM

It could work, but the number of rules, exceptions, and other restrictions would just become insane as people found more and more broken combinations of abilities.

A custom doc would end up being limited in a ton of ways:

1. No more than 2 call-ins total
1A. No more than 1 vehicle call in
2. No more than 1 resource modifier (no opel and supply drop)
3. No more than 1 movement modifier (no sprint + tactical + breakthrough)

Then you have specific combos that would be insane:
Spotting Scope + Command Tank + Tiger Ace
JagdTiger + HEAT + Panzer Commander
Improved Fortification + Advanced Assembly + Stand Fast + Advanced Cover
PPSH + Con Repair + IS2

By the time it was even vaguely balanced (to a point where certain combos didn't instantly win the game), you'd be left with such a large list of restrictions and limitations that you would essentially have a small selection of "hidden" commanders you could actually make.

/edit

It would be a lot of fun for custom games (i.e. no limits), but in auto-match, the possibility for insanely OP commanders is just too high.

9 Jun 2016, 01:43 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Edit: Actually, I think a huge change up is upgrades vs customization. A lot of those games have upgrade paths to choose from, but CoH2 doesn't... really have them, at least not to any considerable extent. There should be more stuff at default IMO, like all Grens should be able to choose between G43 and LMG, and Conscripts should have a single DP upgrade, armored skirts global upgrade from base costing munitions, tungsten rounds for USF AT being a late game upgrade instead of an ability, and so on.

Let the CoH1 fan flow through you... (lack of upgrades is the predominant complaint from CoH1 fans that felt CoH2 didn't really catch on for them)
9 Jun 2016, 03:22 AM

just make each ability have a point value based on its cp level.

limit custom commanders to a specific value.

boom.
9 Jun 2016, 04:07 AM

That kind of thing won't happen, ever. Tiger elephant stugE etc all in the same doc.

It will probably be an advanced, upgraded version of the bulletin system.

The point isn't the specific combo, the point is that no matter what system they pick, they're going to have to price the abilities. Some are going to be worth more, others less. That learning curve for them is going to be painful for us.

For example, some folks have proposed permitting one epic, one rare, three common abilities. Well is a Tiger epic or rare? Others have proposed a point system--10 points total, are p47s 5 points? 4? How about air supremacy? Basically all the upper ranks who are aware of abilities that are powerful but currently undervalued by the meta will throw them together, and its going to suck. While relic is working out its structure we're going to be dealing with broken-ass combinations. No thanks.

Even aside from those issues, there is simple readibility. Doctrinal limitations add depth to the strategy because you're forced to choose--do I use an early ability and reveal my lategame? Or do I hold off and forgo the advantages of my early CP abilities? When anything goes with anything, that readability goes away (God help you in team games if you've got to memorize five abilities for three doctrines for four enemy players literally every game.) Custom commanders kill that strategic depth in return for a dumb gimmick.
9 Jun 2016, 04:10 AM

You can pick at those examples, to be sure but how many games actually allow a "design your own commander" equivalent? Any AAA rts? Honestly I can't think of one. Especially given the number and power of the commander abilities in this game, it seems likely to be a balance clusterfuck.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 39
Russian Federation 30
Germany 4
Turkey 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %