Login

russian armor

What makes Bofors unpleasant to fight?

PAGES (8)down
25 May 2016, 01:36 AM

I apologize if this is the wrong place to place this thread.

I heard that fighting brit emplacements in general,and bofors in particular,is very unpleasant.I would like to know what makes it so.Im am not arguing or anything,this is just to get information..
25 May 2016, 01:42 AM

it evaporate infantry in seconds.

if you do manage to get the upper hand, it hit brace.

it's kind of cheap fuel wise. You will likely waste more resources trying to kill it than the brit spent building it.
nee
25 May 2016, 02:03 AM

The Bofors can do a lot of things. It can shred infantry and light vehicles, it might lose to a Panzer 4 but would take a great chunk of health down first, and has brace so if t is in a tough spot, it will be braced so that an AT gun can finish off the threat, and comes at T2.
It also can do an indirect barrage that not only inflicts high damage, but also suppression.

As a brit player I feel that the biggest problem is the barrage ability. It instapins and does SO MUCH FUCKING DAMAGE to everything that's not a tank. It also has the range of a mortar and doesn't cost anything.
Donator 11

The point of bofors is that you cant attack it from range like you would any other AA emplacement becouse it has ranged attack.
25 May 2016, 02:26 AM

It shows up very early in the game; only costing 180/30 to reach the required tech, requiring 210mp unit to build it, and only costing 280/30. All in, you're only spending 670/60 from the start of the game to putting one down (obviously you would want other units as well).

It does insane damage; usually wiping 1 model per shot (if not 2). Since OST squads are 4 models, and the thing fires in bursts of (I think) around 8, it tends to insta-wipe any squads that get close to it.

It has an incredible amount of HP

It can't be decrewed

If it gets low on health, it can 'brace' (for free) and ignore almost all types of damage for 30 seconds

It's barrage ability (which is free) has more range than AT guns, and can easily destroy an AT gun in one barrage

25 May 2016, 02:42 AM

And in the larger sense, it's a slap in the face to the tradition of COH, which was originally about maneuvering, flanking, and cunning micro and tactics. All you can do is bomb it, or waste a lot of manpower assaulting it.

It lowers the skill cap of the game by its very existence.

It makes skilled players mad because their skill means nothing since any noob can throw up a Bofors and it will take only slightly less time for a top 10 player to get rid of it then another noob.

25 May 2016, 11:41 AM

Bofors need to deal way less damage to retreating units. If you are surprised by a Bofors or the Brace suddenly ends, you have to retreat IMMEDIATELY and even then there is a big chance for your squad to die.

In combination with a mortar pit and a forward retreat point it becomes a jack of all trades.

The mortar pit that shoots incredible fast with the garrison bonus clears LeIGs and mortars (even harder) because it has an insane huge range, double barrage and enhanced firing speed. People arguing that it is static and cannot run away clearly have not played against this combo. Any non late game German artillery loses against a mortar pit and there will be more than one in most cases. You have to move your mortars / LeIGs all the time and if you move the unit, the barrage will stop, giving the Brit enough time to repair the emplacements.

The Bofors to its side will succesfully kill everything but heavy tanks. The only counter is either LeIG spam (which is unreliable because the mortar will kill your ISGs pretty damn quick) as OKW and double Mortar HT as Ostheer (which is only in Spearhead and another crap commander).

You want to engage the Bofors? The inf squad that finds the Bofors will die in > 80% of all cases. A Raketenwerfer has the same range so it will be torn apart by the Bofors before the mortar will do. Stuka zu Fuß does a tiny amount of damage to emplacements.

In addition the Bofors barrage is just plain ridiculous. Your mortar is on brace because it is being attacked? Your Bofors is the new mortar! With more damage and instant pin.

It is hard to counter this combination as Germans. Now play against a Brit with emplacements doctrine and you get to know what not having fun is.

Don't forget that the Brits also have pretty good inf an amazing MG and very good and cheap tanks. Most Allied fanboys will discuss in this forum as if the Brit only had his emplacements and nothing else. But the truth is that there is also a British army fighting along with the emplacements.

I love playing Brits because it is some sort of a different thing. I play 2v2 random team games, place some emplacements (even without that bullshit commander) and at the end of the game all mortars are Vet3 with > 30 kills. The emplacements simply let the Germans bleed so much and deny such a huge area of the map that there is little to no space for any tactic decisions.

I only have played 12 team games as Brits so far and have only lost 3 of them. And I have not lost a single game because of skill but because my game crashed (2 times) or my mate dropped at the start (once).
25 May 2016, 11:49 AM

nobody ever missed emplacements...

so why did they come back?
25 May 2016, 12:16 PM

The Bofors to its side will succesfully kill everything but heavy tanks. The only counter is either LeIG spam (which is unreliable because the mortar will kill your ISGs pretty damn quick) as OKW and double Mortar HT as Ostheer (which is only in Spearhead and another crap commander).

You want to engage the Bofors? The inf squad that finds the Bofors will die in > 80% of all cases. A Raketenwerfer has the same range so it will be torn apart by the Bofors before the mortar will do. Stuka zu Fuß does a tiny amount of damage to emplacements.

Are we even playing the same game? a Pz4 or a Panther will win against a Bofors. All axis anti-tank guns can safely attack a Bofors outside of its range. A leFH does a tremendous amount of damage to emplacements and makes it impossible to repair them without risking very, very likely squad wipes. Walking stuka obliterates emplacements that are not braced. A few spread-out squads with panzerschrecks will most likely destroy a Bofors, you just have to retreat them one by one when they get low. A single Bofors isn't going to live very long without being supported by mortars and stuff - and getting all that up is a very serious resource investment.

Don't get me wrong, I think that Bofors is a very powerful unit and its barrage ability is overperforming but claiming that you can't counter it is a l2p issue. The key is to make it brace. An unbraced Bofors with the ability on cooldown will get rekt by mortar halftracks, walking stukas and anti-tank guns.
25 May 2016, 12:16 PM

Nobody also missed forward bases and forward retreat points, yet OKW have brought all of it back...

As for the bofors? Pretty much only thing about it its the barrage range.
25 May 2016, 12:17 PM

...there's always a reason...
25 May 2016, 12:19 PM

...there's always a reason...

Because product that no one wants always sells the best.
Its business 101!

25 May 2016, 12:20 PM

I'm more afraid of mortar pit than bofors.
25 May 2016, 12:21 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 May 2016, 12:19 PMKatitof

Because product that no one wants always sells the best.
Its business 101!

noobs never stopped missing emplacements, noobs with money especially

also everyone here bought the game anyway, I resisted doing that, and I'm rather happy about that
25 May 2016, 12:37 PM

Thank you for the answers.

So,based on what you guys said,let me ask you another.
If the bofors had:
-No Brace
-Fuel costs equivalent to a tank
-No barrage
-A CP cost

Would it be pleasant to play against?
25 May 2016, 12:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 May 2016, 12:37 PMFino
Thank you for the answers.

So,based on what you guys said,let me ask you another.
If the bofors had:
-No Brace
-Fuel costs equivalent to a tank
-No barrage
-A CP cost

Would it be pleasant to play against?

You're trolling hard now, right?
25 May 2016, 12:47 PM

In my opinion relic should make a new mechanic that if an emplacement is braced a enemy unit can go inside to take it or destroy it ,unit can't enter if there are already other unit inside and remove the buff that the forward assembly give to emplacements
25 May 2016, 12:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 May 2016, 12:42 PMKatitof

You're trolling hard now, right?

Not at all,why would you belive so?
25 May 2016, 12:58 PM

*looks at costs and limits of 17 pounder and PaK43*

Oh, you know, no reason.

In my opinion relic should make a new mechanic that if an emplacement is braced a enemy unit can go inside to take it or destroy it ,unit can't enter if there are already other unit inside and remove the buff that the forward assembly give to emplacements

You never stop to amaze me with your insanity.
PAGES (8)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS