Login

russian armor

Opinion on the M4A3 Sherman?

24 May 2016, 03:33 AM

I just wanted to see the opinions on the Sherman. Personally, I like the Sherman a lot as it is incredibly versatile and fits the USF army of versatile units very well.
24 May 2016, 04:21 AM

I like it, the Sherman has an interesting specialty against infantry.
24 May 2016, 05:06 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

next to Thompson paras, my favorite unit.

Too bad it can be a complete pain, to put it lightly, to use once cpanther mark vehicle, ele/JT, shrek blobs, Stugs, pak walls, or jp4 hit the field, lol
24 May 2016, 11:18 AM

Best AI tank in the game, if only it can get Blitz it will be perfect.
aaa
24 May 2016, 12:34 PM

best ai tank in game is kt. Ace is #2. They wipe squads and are A-click units. Require no micro skils no possitioning just a-click take damage and r-click back.
24 May 2016, 12:50 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 May 2016, 12:34 PMaaa
best ai tank in game is kt. Ace is #2. They wipe squads and are A-click units. Require no micro skils no possitioning just a-click take damage and r-click back.

KT and TA is more like anti-everything, by that logic old Croc and KV-8 should be there too. Generally, Sherman is a pretty solid tank, although the Ez8's AI is meh.
24 May 2016, 13:06 PM

Lol Cookie nailed it. They are good but they should be a lot better to use if/when the Balance Preview goes live. Right now they are a pain to micro once a OKW shrek blob reaches critical mass and m4a3 swarms aren't really all that effective vs. heavies due to rear armor RNG.
24 May 2016, 13:47 PM

This is a beautiful and humble tank I love it, it looks good pew pews well does what I tell it well I just think it could with a slight front armour buff or something cause it be the only non-doc mainline USF tank and with all the insta-kill shit late game it gets dangerous to cruise about
24 May 2016, 20:44 PM

Beautifully consistent and balanced tank. It's specialty is against infantry of course but it's more effective against tanks than given credit for. It can support Jacksons/ATGs and square up against medium tanks in a pinch
25 May 2016, 01:00 AM

I just wanted to see the opinions on the Sherman. Personally, I like the Sherman a lot as it is incredibly versatile and fits the USF army of versatile units very well.

I play mostly USF and think that they're okay. If I had any complaints, it would be about the bulldozer Sherman, the greyhound from Recon, and the M8 Scott. Sometimes I get a lot of kills with the bulldozer Sherman, but most of the time it doesn't justify its fuel price. The M8 is just too squishy, and the greyhound was nerfed into oblivion. The utility car costs 320 mp and 20 fuel, and gets completely rekt by a 222 that costs 2/3's as much.
28 May 2016, 11:21 AM

Lacks penetration but great against blobs.
8 Jun 2016, 04:38 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 May 2016, 12:34 PMaaa

same with greens late game you see the enemy troops you click on them from far and wipe :P

while usf or conscripts need to come closer to exally do something with their ppsh or bars whille you need to dodge MGS
8 Jun 2016, 05:41 AM

One of best 1v1 tanks, can kill infantry really well, have survivability like other mediums, have superglue (f*ck off mines), smoke - so rifles can advance or tank can live when retreating and its AP rounds can hurt most tanks field in 1v1 (not tigers and kigtiger though.)

I reccomend him using in most scenarios in 1v1 and multiple shermans is even better. Just make sure you supp him with your ifnantry and make coordinated pushed. It is wonder but its not one click A-move tank.

Also always get hmg on him, he can shred infantry even more then.

On other modes he is weaker because of superior nazi AT used there.

For its cost its best core medium tank in game (t34/76 - hahaha , p4 is more expensive and only better in vaccum fight but these not happen often, okw p4 is better, but only against tanks and cost much more, cromwell cost the same but his AI power is weaker because he does not ave that good shells - thats why most players rely on crush with him)
8 Jun 2016, 06:03 AM

Lol Cookie nailed it. They are good but they should be a lot better to use if/when the Balance Preview goes live. Right now they are a pain to micro once a OKW shrek blob reaches critical mass and m4a3 swarms aren't really all that effective vs. heavies due to rear armor RNG.

Don't forget all heavies are getting a nerf to their rear armor
Hux
8 Jun 2016, 07:13 AM
Patrion 14

Sherman is a great tank. Like others have said the consistency of its ability to wipe multiple models with HE shells is just beautiful. And that MG gunner is a fucking hero!

If only it could get the old sandbag armour upgrade to give it a bit more staying power against AT.. If that was the case I'd love it even more.
8 Jun 2016, 21:49 PM

A really solid tank. Always a good choice if you're unsure what to expect from the enemy.
8 Jun 2016, 22:17 PM

It might be a good unit but I have yet to figure out when to switch ammunition which makes it really hard to use. I think Easy 8s are far better.
9 Jun 2016, 06:31 AM

Weird to see the community agreeing on something for a change. I agree the Sherman is a great unit. Very good AI for its cost, easy to use but rewards good micro, the mobility and fast repairs fits well with the overall USF playstyle. Comes early enough to have a decisive impact, has good power without being difficult to counter. Cheap enough to use in risky attacks but not so cheap as to become a cheesy spam unit. My one beef with the sherman is it doesn't have the durability to draw fire away from flanking Jacksons, but I don't think that can really be addressed without needing a cost increase.

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Jun 2016, 22:17 PMGiaA
It might be a good unit but I have yet to figure out when to switch ammunition which makes it really hard to use. I think Easy 8s are far better.

It just takes a bit of micro attention to figure out when to change shells. Best thing is to hit the button just after you've fired a shell.

E8 is another great USF tank, trading AI performance for greater AT. It's particularly good because its combination of good pen and moving accuracy enables it to pursue and actually get the kill shot on axis tanks, whereas most other tanks need to stop to take a shot that will often bounce anyway.
9 Jun 2016, 16:14 PM

Weird to see the community agreeing on something for a change. I agree the Sherman is a great unit. Very good AI for its cost, easy to use but rewards good micro, the mobility and fast repairs fits well with the overall USF playstyle. Comes early enough to have a decisive impact, has good power without being difficult to counter. Cheap enough to use in risky attacks but not so cheap as to become a cheesy spam unit. My one beef with the sherman is it doesn't have the durability to draw fire away from flanking Jacksons, but I don't think that can really be addressed without needing a cost increase.

It just takes a bit of micro attention to figure out when to change shells. Best thing is to hit the button just after you've fired a shell.

E8 is another great USF tank, trading AI performance for greater AT. It's particularly good because its combination of good pen and moving accuracy enables it to pursue and actually get the kill shot on axis tanks, whereas most other tanks need to stop to take a shot that will often bounce anyway.

Anybody knows the speed and acceleration of Ez8 and Cromwell? I feel the Cromwell feels very speedy while my Sherman feels slower somehow.
23 Jun 2016, 00:11 AM

Shermans are really fun and versatile.

However, they suck hard at late game, i usually find that if by mid-game you aren't winning hard, Shermans will quickly become obsolete.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★