Login

russian armor

Skins - winter in summer

Option to turn off winter (white/whitewash) skins in summer maps.
Option Distribution Votes
63%
37%
Total votes: 41
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
23 May 2016, 12:19 PM

Just a question for everyone: Would you like to have an option to disable winter (white) skins being seen in summer maps? Something like the ability to turn off decals or ahistorical skins? I personally don't enjoy seeing white vehicles driving around in the middle of summer and would rather just see the default green or yellow.
23 May 2016, 12:36 PM

Yes, I hate summer skin on winter map and vice versa. It does not make sense.
23 May 2016, 12:58 PM

Having an option (which affects only yourself) is always welcomed in my opinion.
23 May 2016, 14:27 PM

But Butt...wut about british and hamericanski on Semoisky or Kholodnie Ferma or russky in France?
23 May 2016, 15:00 PM

I'm OK with summer skins used in winter because there can be snow one day and the next morning there can be 10 centimeters on the ground (especially here in Russia), so it's not unrealistic to see 'summer' camos in the snow. BUT, seeing as you don't go to bed one day with snow on the ground and the next there is no snow and there are leaves on the trees, I don't think whitewash in summer is realistic. Especially since whitewash washes off with water, it's not likely that it would last into the Spring.
23 May 2016, 15:04 PM

But Butt...wut about british and hamericanski on Semoisky or Kholodnie Ferma or russky in France?

Most of the maps are fine as there is nothing to say 'this is definitely Russia' or 'or this is France, not Eastern Germany/Prussia or Poland' aside from the occasional orthodox church. However, if I had my way, the British and Americans wouldn't fight alongside the Russians, but I'm probably a minority.

But, this thread is not about eastern front units fighting in the west or vise versa, so please try to stay on topic.
26 May 2016, 12:03 PM

How come this is even an issue, as in: why is there even two setups of skins in the box if it's not intended to make this difference? Of course we shouldn't see winterskins in summer, wth! That it can happen must be considered a bug, not a feature.

I assume the eight people voting "no" meant it should not be a choice, it should be sorted automatically by the game.
26 May 2016, 12:16 PM

You guys must be from places where the seasons and climate are fairly binary. I just like to envision their use during the early spring or late fall, a flash thaw or freak snow storm briefly outmoded the camouflage. Or my crews are being lazy and haven't repainted yet.
26 May 2016, 12:24 PM

You guys must be from places where the seasons and climate are fairly binary. I just like to envision their use during the early spring or late fall, a flash thaw or freak snow storm briefly outmoded the camouflage. Or my crews are being lazy and haven't repainted yet.

It's tough to call it an early thaw if there are leaves on the trees and grass is growing. Also, keep in mind this game takes place in temperate Europe where seasons are binary.

Again, I'm fine with summer camos in winter as it still makes sense (especially since a lot of the allies didn't camo their vehicles anyway).

I don't think the crews would be lazy. It's their lives. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be caught in a white tank when there is no snow on the ground.
26 May 2016, 12:26 PM

How come this is even an issue, as in: why is there even two setups of skins in the box if it's not intended to make this difference? Of course we shouldn't see winterskins in summer, wth! That it can happen must be considered a bug, not a feature.

I assume the eight people voting "no" meant it should not be a choice, it should be sorted automatically by the game.

I'm actually shocked that anyone has voted against this option. It's not like it would affect the people who wanted to use white tanks in the summer - they just don't have to turn the option off.
26 May 2016, 12:31 PM

I'm ok for an option like " Disable other people's skins ".

Especially since the new Valkyria Chronicles unrealistic skins are out.( they're still beautiful though )

And i agree that winter Camo ( especially full white skins ) are a bit disturbing on summer maps.
26 May 2016, 13:37 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 May 2016, 12:31 PMCrystal
I'm ok for an option like " Disable other people's skins ".

Especially since the new Valkyria Chronicles unrealistic skins are out.( they're still beautiful though )

And i agree that winter Camo ( especially full white skins ) are a bit disturbing on summer maps.

They have that already, an option to disable unhistorical skins and that includes the valkyria stuff, thankfully. Although, I'm pretty sure most of the OKW and US skins aren't real (I haven't seen a photo of them). For OKW, I think that only the Rotbraun ambush and the ardennes camo are real camouflages that they used and for US I think they're all not real except the new operation husky one.
26 May 2016, 13:48 PM

Oh we already have ? Didn't notice.

Otherwise for the OKW skins, they are all historical except the Panzergrau West pattern ( I'm not sure it is, but maybe )

For US i know that the Field Camouflage/Four Color Camouflage/Ardennes Field-Modified Camouflage/Baker, Dog and Fox Company Camouflages existed and were used in Europe/Afrika ( For the Dog ) and Italy ( For the Four Color at least ). Don't know for the others.

PS : The Field Camouflages can not be historically accurate because ... they were Field Camouflages lol. Most of the crews painted their own tank how they could. They were all unique.
27 May 2016, 15:39 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 May 2016, 13:48 PMCrystal
Oh we already have ? Didn't notice.

Otherwise for the OKW skins, they are all historical except the Panzergrau West pattern ( I'm not sure it is, but maybe )

For US i know that the Field Camouflage/Four Color Camouflage/Ardennes Field-Modified Camouflage/Baker, Dog and Fox Company Camouflages existed and were used in Europe/Afrika ( For the Dog ) and Italy ( For the Four Color at least ). Don't know for the others.

PS : The Field Camouflages can not be historically accurate because ... they were Field Camouflages lol. Most of the crews painted their own tank how they could. They were all unique.

Could you find photos of the OKW ones? I haven't been able to and that's why i think they're not historical.

For the US ones, the only one I've seen a photo is of the four color one - but in the photo there are only 2 colors. I forgot about the other reward US camos.

Sorry, I don't agree with the last point. I think they can be historically accurate because units tended to paint their vehicles the same way and if there's a photo of it, then it existed.
27 May 2016, 16:02 PM

I saw them a long time ago and it wasn't on Internet, but i will try to find out.

What i meant in the P.S was that the USF didn't have standardized camouflages on its vehicles in ww2. Most of the tanks were built and send on the front withtout being paint ( They were juste in standard Olive Drab ) in factories, unlike many German tanks who were paint directly after the production.

So yeah, many US tanks had the same pattern ( following their unit and theater of operations of course, they didn't paint a sand pattern in Ardennes lol ) but the crew itself decided how to paint their own tank, like all field-camouflages.
27 May 2016, 16:19 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post23 May 2016, 15:04 PMSchmitz

Most of the maps are fine as there is nothing to say 'this is definitely Russia' or 'or this is France, not Eastern Germany/Prussia or Poland' aside from the occasional orthodox church. However, if I had my way, the British and Americans wouldn't fight alongside the Russians, but I'm probably a minority.

But, this thread is not about eastern front units fighting in the west or vise versa, so please try to stay on topic.

There are many more inconsitencies than that. For example osheer soldiers always refer to their opponents as 'soviet pigs' or 'communists' even if these are wearing american uniforms. Same goes for OKW soldiers, they think everybody is either american or german. I doubt we will ever get rid of such immersion killers.
27 May 2016, 16:29 PM

For the Panzergrau West Pattern, it seems it was simply the standard Grey color of the German tanks without camouflages ( like the Olive one for US ). I didn't notice that since the skin in CoH2 is very blue compared to the real grey color.

Anyway for the others, i found a bunch of screens :

Rotbraun Ambush Pattern : http://puu.sh/p73oY/1db4ceee7f.jpg / http://puu.sh/p73yD/5acaeda690.jpg / http://puu.sh/p73H0/60ef3c39cb.jpg ( only on the Schürzen for this one )

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/nazi_germany/Panzer-V_Panther.php ( Here's some information on these camouflages. )

Two-Tone Field Pattern : http://puu.sh/p748j/f6aadb96cf.jpg

Didn't find an Ardennes Forest Pattern though, but i'm pretty sure it existed.
27 May 2016, 16:38 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 May 2016, 15:39 PMSchmitz
Could you find photos of the OKW ones? I haven't been able to and that's why i think they're not historical.

The Original Ardennes Forrest Pattern:

Germany January 6th 1945, a german Panther tank is passing anti-tank obstacles of the Westwall near Weissenburg/Bergzabern

jump backJump back to quoted post27 May 2016, 15:39 PMSchmitz
Sorry, I don't agree with the last point. I think they can be historically accurate because units tended to paint their vehicles the same way and if there's a photo of it, then it existed.

Evidence i. e. Striped Camouflage:

Germany February/March 1945, Unit of Panther Ausf. G at Ortwig near Küstrin.

in Combat:

27 May 2016, 16:55 PM

Hmpf, the Ardennes Pattern was, indeed, just under my eyes. Better open them next time :faint:
27 May 2016, 17:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 May 2016, 16:55 PMCrystal
Hmpf, the Ardennes Pattern was, indeed, just under my eyes. Better open them next time :faint:

No problem, buddy. :D

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS