Login

russian armor

Commander/Doctrine Suggestions for Change and Hope

17 May 2016, 21:16 PM

Giving the half-track itself a mg-42 upgrade option for 60 munitions would be nice. It would at least give it a greater purpose if for some reason the passengers died.

45 Munitions and a Battle Phase 1 requirement an we have a deal.

I wouldn't do 60 because the vehicle itself is very squishy and rightfully so, it literally turns a squad of infantry into a light vehicle.

I Also have a few more commander suggestions:

USF: Air Combat Group
Affects: Recon Support Company
  • Price Split into 450 Manpower, 150 Munitions
  • CP Requirement Reduced by 1
  • AT Gun Removed
  • 1 Paratrooper will always come with bazookas, the other Paratrooper will always come with either Tommy Guns or an LMG.

(The Ability was too manpower floaty to be used effectively, the Munitions cost alleviates alot of that while still being reasonably pricey. It also came too late in my opinion and the AT gun was redundant. Also the ability now has less RNG.)

OST: Westtruppen Reserves
Affects: Mobile Defense Doctrine
  • One Osttruppen will always come with an LMG 42.

(Less RNG. Period.)

OST: Osttruppen
Affects: Prosttruppen Doctrine, Mobile Defense Doctrine. any doctrine with Relief Infantry Ability
  • Vet 1 Ability Replaced with a Model 22 Grenade

(Medkits were always useless on all units not named Pioneers, also gives Osttruppen Doctrine some light anti-garrison if skipping T1.)

OST: Arty Officer
Affects: Alot of Doctrines
  • Concentrated Barrage now the Vet 1 Ability, replacing medkits.
  • Concentrated Barrage now summons a light arty barrage (regardless of owning any artillery units or not) AND any available owned artillery unit on the map, regardless of range and cooldown.
  • Munitions Cost increased to 90
  • Now Receives vet from other units fighting (Like USF Major and Captain)

(This is just to update the arty officer and to make the concentrated barrage useful.)

SU: KV-1, KV-2
Affects: Soviet Industry, Counterattack
  • Vet 1 Ability Replaced with Hull Down (Same as Ostheer Hull Down, except it doesn't need infantry to do it)

(Synergizes with the KV-1's "Tank Damage then Counter Attack" Motto and the KV-2's Lockdown.)

SU: Commissar
Affects: Not One Step Back, (Conscript Support and Guard Rifle Combined Arms Tactics if my ideas are implemented!)
  • Cost Increased to 240 Manpower from 120
  • Now has a limit of 2 Officers on the field

(it was too cost effective for what it does.)
nee
17 May 2016, 22:09 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 May 2016, 21:16 PMGrittle

USF: Air Combat Group
Affects: Recon Support Company
  • Price Split into 450 Manpower, 150 Munitions
  • CP Requirement Reduced by 1
  • AT Gun Removed
  • 1 Paratrooper will always come with bazookas, the other Paratrooper will always come with either Tommy Guns or an LMG.

(The Ability was too manpower floaty to be used effectively, the Munitions cost alleviates alot of that while still being reasonably pricey. It also came too late in my opinion and the AT gun was redundant. Also the ability now has less RNG.)
Mmm I rather it just be removed entirely and they get classic paradrop earlier on. Or can Infiltrate from buildings, if you want a different approach from Airborne Company. However you look at it, it's still too high MP for lategame. I also don't like how it's combining munitions and manpower, IMO that makes it even less likely to be used. If they spawn without weapons but can upgrade themselves, it at least means you can still get them even without munitions. Making them spawn once instead of with double and lowering MP and CP costs accordingly also means this ability would be used more frequently.

OST: Osttruppen
Affects: Prosttruppen Doctrine, Mobile Defense Doctrine. any doctrine with Relief Infantry Ability
  • Vet 1 Ability Replaced with a Model 22 Grenade

(Medkits were always useless on all units not named Pioneers, also gives Osttruppen Doctrine some light anti-garrison if skipping T1.)
I don't think they're useless, but they certainly are micromanagement intensive given how selecting a target squad makes you select said squad, as if you cancelled the order. It also takes a long time and until then both squads are frozen in place, perfect for a squad wipe. At best Relic should change it so the effect is instantaneous; it's not like the target squad will immediately heal to full health even when in combat.

OST: Arty Officer
Affects: Alot of Doctrines
  • Concentrated Barrage now the Vet 1 Ability, replacing medkits.
  • Concentrated Barrage now summons a light arty barrage (regardless of owning any artillery units or not) AND any available owned artillery unit on the map, regardless of range and cooldown.
  • Munitions Cost increased to 90
  • Now Receives vet from other units fighting (Like USF Major and Captain)

(This is just to update the arty officer and to make the concentrated barrage useful.)

Some commanders already feature both artillery officer and light artillery barrage. Those that don't, like Assault Support, this means they have an additional artillery barrage ability, even if limited to this unit's radius.
There are numerous problems with this unit, such as not being able to pick up weapons, medkits or even supply boxes. Gaining XP from nearby units and buffing abilities sound nice, but I don't think it really helps the unit the way it needs.

SU: KV-1, KV-2
Affects: Soviet Industry, Counterattack
  • Vet 1 Ability Replaced with Hull Down (Same as Ostheer Hull Down, except it doesn't need infantry to do it)

(Synergizes with the KV-1's "Tank Damage then Counter Attack" Motto and the KV-2's Lockdown.)
KV-2 maybe, but I think the KV-1 needs more anti-infantry firepower if they're going to have such low armour. Churchill is a beast and can still fire shit up with its gun; this thing not only has a peashooter but has glass armour by comparison.
17 May 2016, 22:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 May 2016, 22:09 PMnee
Mmm I rather it just be removed entirely and they get classic paradrop earlier on. Or can Infiltrate from buildings, if you want a different approach from Airborne Company. However you look at it, it's still too high MP for lategame. I also don't like how it's combining munitions and manpower, IMO that makes it even less likely to be used. If they spawn without weapons but can upgrade themselves, it at least means you can still get them even without munitions. Making them spawn once instead of with double and lowering MP and CP costs accordingly also means this ability would be used more frequently.

You may be on to something with infiltration Paratroopers, But I'm afraid it would end up being copy and paste stormtroopers with a USF emblem on it.

How about placing Rangers instead of the Paratroopers. it may make Heavy Cal seem less unique, but we get a makeshift "Ranger Company" that could be useful, all we have to do is fix and make Forward Observers affect Rangers too and rework I&R Pathfinders to place beacons that does something else unique, like hiding units from the minimap or increase scatter from enemy artillery.

I don't think they're useless, but they certainly are micromanagement intensive given how selecting a target squad makes you select said squad, as if you cancelled the order. It also takes a long time and until then both squads are frozen in place, perfect for a squad wipe. At best Relic should change it so the effect is instantaneous; it's not like the target squad will immediately heal to full health even when in combat.

Well Sorry if I'm too harsh, let me rephrase:

Medkits are on too many units. It should only be on Grens, Assault Grens, and Pioneers.

Osttruppen should get a small grenade as a vet 1 ability

Pgrens maybe could get tatical movement as a vet 1 ability

Officer should get those concentrated barrage changes

Stormtroopers should get health regen out of combat vet 2, and place the current vet 2 as vet 1.

Some commanders already feature both artillery officer and light artillery barrage. Those that don't, like Assault Support, this means they have an additional artillery barrage ability, even if limited to this unit's radius.
There are numerous problems with this unit, such as not being able to pick up weapons, medkits or even supply boxes. Gaining XP from nearby units and buffing abilities sound nice, but I don't think it really helps the unit the way it needs.

Well I was going to use the Officer's Radius as an excuse, but you played me like a fiddle.

USF Major has Artillery (albiet pretty bad at the moment), I&R Pathfinders has Arty, OKW Panzer Commanders have Arty. and all of these don't require vet to get (Pathfinders require 6CP, Major Arty gets better at vet 2)

The Officer's Concentrated barrage at its current state is basically throwing away 80 munitions 80% of the time. if it, at the very least, has light artillery as a base that your other arty units can compound on. It would make the ability much better.

KV-2 maybe, but I think the KV-1 needs more anti-infantry firepower if they're going to have such low armour. Churchill is a beast and can still fire shit up with its gun; this thing not only has a peashooter but has glass armour by comparison.

Hull Down decreases damage taken speeds up reload time and increases range. Its a decent start for these tanks, But I agree that it could use some more, especially the KV-1, but I don't think I'm that qualified to tinker with the fine detail of numbers and stats of scatter angle, distance, damage, ect.
nee
18 May 2016, 01:02 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 May 2016, 22:42 PMGrittle

How about placing Rangers instead of the Paratroopers. it may make Heavy Cal seem less unique, but we get a makeshift "Ranger Company" that could be useful, all we have to do is fix and make Forward Observers affect Rangers too and rework I&R Pathfinders to place beacons that does something else unique, like hiding units from the minimap or increase scatter from enemy artillery.

If infiltration is used, then it makes more sense to have Rangers than Paratroopers. However being airborne-themed it would appear strange, given I&R Pathfinders having nothing to benefit from their landing beacons. Infiltration was suggested since it was something that gave them a spawn point aside from clone Stormtroopers, whereas dropping them like Airborne makes them a bit too similar to Airborne.

You did not need to rephrase, it is a matter of disagreement, and only in select points, not all.

I actually just realized this is available in a mod, so I've only been tinkering with it recently.

USF Major has Artillery (albeit pretty bad at the moment), I&R Pathfinders has Arty, OKW Panzer Commanders have Arty. and all of these don't require vet to get (Pathfinders require 6CP, Major Arty gets better at vet 2)

This is true, but this is also irrelevant; the issue is not whether certain units or commander abilities may call in off-map artillery, but whether said commanders already include off-map artillery as part of the deal: all doctrines that have Field Artillery Officer already have at least one off-map ability similar to Light Artillery Barrage. Specifically, Assault Support (also has Stuka Strafe and Fragmentation Bombs); Joint Ops (howitzer emplacement and light arty barrage itself); and Osttruppen (which has Railway Artillery). Your change basically gives players an additional barrage option.
Having said that I recommend that the ability just removes the range limitations it still has on artillery units, it basically becomes the Axis equivalent to Victor Target from vCoH1, and similar to UKF's base howitzer ability. IMO that's the only problem with it. If you really want a classic artillery barrage, nearly all commanders with this unit call-in already has them.
I understand that, with zero artillery, the ability is useless, by that sounds more like it should just have a discount to munitions cost. At 90 munitions you basically get what you already have in the doctrine, but cheaper. I'd say that's cheating, even if you just YOLO the squad into firing range and it gets slaughtered.

Hull Down decreases damage taken speeds up reload time and increases range. Its a decent start for these tanks, But I agree that it could use some more, especially the KV-1, but I don't think I'm that qualified to tinker with the fine detail of numbers and stats of scatter angle, distance, damage, ect.

If KV-1 is so problematic that you'd need a fancy hulldown mode to improve it, then I say it should just get those buffs period without some fancy toggle. Hell I'd even buff it to Churchill armour levels, even though that's not realistically plausible; it's crappy gun already makes it terrible compared to Churchill proper.
18 May 2016, 02:35 AM

I'd also like to throw in a couple other ideas:

• Soviet's 'Allied Supply Drop' - Increase Cost by 15 munitions. Cannot drop in base sectors. Supply plane flies faster; therefore, it's less likely to be shot down.

• Soviet B4 - Increase accuracy of projectile. Increase reload time.

• British Valentine - Decrease CP requirement by 1 OR increase main-gun damage.

• M8 Greyhound - Decrease reload. Increase damage by 20.

• Ostheer - Elite Troops - Replace stormtroopers w/ camouflage (It fits in much better than stormtroopers).

• OKW Flak Emplacement - cannot decrew unless the flak gun itself is at 25% health or lower. Also make it stop shooting the ground 99% of the time.

Everything else that I wanted to mention is already part of the OP.

18 May 2016, 03:19 AM

My idea for Mollies: change its cost to 50 muni (maybe more), the ability changed to Molotov Assault, all Conscript will sprint up to the target and throw mollies (ala vCOH assault), ignore suppression but they take increased dmg/received acc during the duration. I thing it would fit with Conscript theme and make Mollies useful, the idea is using this ability during mass assault, you lose some Cons model (maybe the whole squad) to dislodge entrenched MG.
18 May 2016, 03:26 AM
Senior Social Media Manager Badge

• Soviet's 'Allied Supply Drop' - Increase Cost by 15 munitions. Cannot drop in base sectors. Supply plane flies faster; therefore, it's less likely to be shot down.

• Soviet B4 - Increase accuracy of projectile. Increase reload time.

• British Valentine - Decrease CP requirement by 1 OR increase main-gun damage.

• M8 Greyhound - Decrease reload. Increase damage by 20.

• Ostheer - Elite Troops - Replace stormtroopers w/ camouflage (It fits in much better than stormtroopers).

• OKW Flak Emplacement - cannot decrew unless the flak gun itself is at 25% health or lower. Also make it stop shooting the ground 99% of the time.

Everything else that I wanted to mention is already part of the OP.

I like the suggestions minus elite troops.
18 May 2016, 03:29 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 May 2016, 03:26 AMwouren

I like the suggestions minus elite troops.

:(
18 May 2016, 17:23 PM

Grittle Approved Buff, maybe also split it into 3 planes dropping 10 fuel each (I believe it's 30 fuel from this ability)
18 May 2016, 17:25 PM

CoH2 planes are suicidal and apparently the recon planes are the same price as a large grenade.
19 May 2016, 01:38 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 May 2016, 17:25 PMwouren
CoH2 planes are suicidal and apparently the recon planes are the same price as a large grenade.

I thought they fixed that...
19 May 2016, 02:10 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 May 2016, 01:38 AMGrittle

I thought they fixed that...

They don't kamikaze effectively anymore, but the way planes are implemented is not realistic.
nee
19 May 2016, 08:38 AM

Mmm the plane's increased speed and/or splitting into multiple planes means they are more survivable to being shot down. Pretty good ideas.

I don;t know what Karbinder is talking about with replacing Stormtroopers w/ camouflage, I take it you meant Ambush Camouflage?
19 May 2016, 23:43 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 May 2016, 08:38 AMnee
Mmm the plane's increased speed and/or splitting into multiple planes means they are more survivable to being shot down. Pretty good ideas.

I don;t know what Karbinder is talking about with replacing Stormtroopers w/ camouflage, I take it you meant Ambush Camouflage?

Most Likely, But I really disagree with that in my humble opinion.

If you wanted G43s and Camo, there are like 2 other commanders that have that same combination. Elite Troops already got changed too much.

Besides, I love Stormtroopers. But I would love them more if they didn't cost 6 million munitions to upgrade.
20 May 2016, 18:14 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 May 2016, 23:43 PMGrittle

Most Likely, But I really disagree with that in my humble opinion.

If you wanted G43s and Camo, there are like 2 other commanders that have that same combination. Elite Troops already got changed too much.

Besides, I love Stormtroopers. But I would love them more if they didn't cost 6 million munitions to upgrade.

Yea, I meant the ambush camouflage. The only reason why I'd prefer it over stormtroopers is because it fits much more into the doctrine. The doctrine's main focus is to buff your infantry and units. Stormtroopers in this game are meh at best, and really belong in the Encirclement doctrine, not the Elite Troops doctrine. Right now, there's no reason why you would go stormtroopers over panzergrenadiers in the Elite Troops doctrine, but for the Encirclement doctrine, you would at least have a reason (to cut supply lines leading up to close the pocket). Also, quick correction: The combo is only in one other commander.
20 May 2016, 18:24 PM

Yea, I meant the ambush camouflage. The only reason why I'd prefer it over stormtroopers is because it fits much more into the doctrine. The doctrine's main focus is to buff your infantry and units. Stormtroopers in this game are meh at best, and really belong in the Encirclement doctrine, not the Elite Troops doctrine. Right now, there's no reason why you would go stormtroopers over panzergrenadiers in the Elite Troops doctrine, but for the Encirclement doctrine, you would at least have a reason (to cut supply lines leading up to close the pocket). Also, quick correction: The combo is only in one other commander.

The reasons are low reinforcement cost, extra abilities, and customizability. In elite infantry doctrine, You can get a schreck and G43s.

Also, I've heard rumors of there being different G43 stats for Pgrens. If true, do the stormtroopers use the normal G43 or the Pgren one?
20 May 2016, 20:29 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 May 2016, 18:24 PMwouren

The reasons are low reinforcement cost, extra abilities, and customizability. In elite infantry doctrine, You can get a schreck and G43s.

Also, I've heard rumors of there being different G43 stats for Pgrens. If true, do the stormtroopers use the normal G43 or the Pgren one?

Yes, the G43 stats for Pgrens are vastly different than Gren G43s. I believe one G43 is better close range while the other is better long range.

But, with an educated guess in mind, Stormtroopers would most likely get the Pgren G43s, as they share Pgren Price, Portrait, and Voice Clips
20 May 2016, 21:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 May 2016, 20:29 PMGrittle

Yes, the G43 stats for Pgrens are vastly different than Gren G43s. I believe one G43 is better close range while the other is better long range.

But, with an educated guess in mind, Stormtroopers would most likely get the Pgren G43s, as they share Pgren Price, Portrait, and Voice Clips

Na, they get the Gren version. I just checked.
20 May 2016, 21:34 PM

Na, they get the Gren version. I just checked.

That's too bad. Otherwise you could noscope some noobs with stormtroopers.
20 May 2016, 22:25 PM

I don't like this kind of drops, they can brake team games. but even then oster drop is just better. Can't be destroyed by AA. it drops a ton more fuel, it can drop ammo, its a lot cheaper.
i suggest to bring this two more on par. they can be asymmetrical without being a joke.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 5

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight