Login

russian armor

Battlefield 1 (WWI)

PAGES (8)down
26 Oct 2016, 17:02 PM

there was even some feminist outrage about not portraying female soldiers. im not sure if this was troll or not, but in modern times everything is possible..

It would be appropriate for Russia. For Britain? Less so, but millions of women participated in WW1, and many were killed or wounded.

For example - medical institutions, such as the Red Cross, were critical to sustaining the war, and often put workers in danger of becoming fatalities.

If you want to read more about this, I would check out Vera Brtittain, a VAD nurse, and her memoirs.

I would also check out Tammy Proctor's "Civilians in a World at War."

As for the game - I'm not expecting a WW1 simulator, but is at least notably different from other BF games?
26 Oct 2016, 17:23 PM
Senior Social Media Manager Badge

BF1 soldiers are better equipped than the standard WWII soldier. Gas masks can be put on when you are already skin-deep in gas; check out how that worked for this guy. The army composition makes no sense from a WWI perspective either. Good game, but you can't pretend it's anything more than paying homage to WWI.

The outrage is dumb. There WERE female characters in the game.
26 Oct 2016, 18:38 PM

It would be appropriate for Russia. For Britain? Less so, but millions of women participated in WW1, and many were killed or wounded.

For example - medical institutions, such as the Red Cross, were critical to sustaining the war, and often put workers in danger of becoming fatalities.

If you want to read more about this, I would check out Vera Brtittain, a VAD nurse, and her memoirs.

I would also check out Tammy Proctor's "Civilians in a World at War."

As for the game - I'm not expecting a WW1 simulator, but is at least notably different from other BF games?

re-read. i was talking about female SOLDIERS. and if you wanna drag in russia.. as much as i know, its not even an ingame faction now (i heard something about an upcoming dlc tho).

and even if there were female soldiers.. they must been a very tiny part in the army. but DICE is from swedistan, so they might make another minority simulator, who knows.. because not displaying minorities is obviously racist, who cares about the majority, right?
27 Oct 2016, 00:07 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Oct 2016, 17:23 PMwouren
BF1 soldiers are better equipped than the standard WWII soldier. Gas masks can be put on when you are already skin-deep in gas; check out how that worked for this guy. The army composition makes no sense from a WWI perspective either. Good game, but you can't pretend it's anything more than paying homage to WWI.

So I'm guessing there's boatloads of SMGs everywhere? : p

@strafniki

I read what you wrote. I'm not saying I want to see loads of female soldiers or for 50% of everyone be female. My point is that a World War 1 game with no women around isn't accurate either.

27 Oct 2016, 00:12 AM
Senior Social Media Manager Badge

So I'm guessing there's boatloads of SMGs everywhere? : p

@strafniki

I read what you wrote. I'm not saying I want to see loads of female soldiers or for 50% of everyone be female. My point is that a World War 1 game with no women around isn't accurate either.

SMGs, LMGs, semi-autos, you name it.

Not realistic but good.

Personally, I'm not going to be playing it that much.
27 Oct 2016, 00:16 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Oct 2016, 00:12 AMwouren

SMGs, LMGs, semi-autos, you name it.

Not realistic but good.

Personally, I'm not going to be playing it that much.

Yeah I mean that's fine with me, as long as the game has SOME Great War elements and is fun.

Though IMO it takes the wind out of the "no female soldiers because WE MUST MAINTAIN REALISM" argument.
27 Oct 2016, 04:07 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Yeah I mean that's fine with me, as long as the game has SOME Great War elements and is fun.

Though IMO it takes the wind out of the "no female soldiers because WE MUST MAINTAIN REALISM" argument.

I thought it was ridiculous at first glance, but there's models of female soldiers used in the singleplayer already and yeah the game's already very divergent from WWI so I really can kinda see why some are a bit incensed. Frankly, the exclusion of France or Russia from release is already a historical travesty anyway, chicks in trenches can't make it much worse :p
27 Oct 2016, 12:02 PM

Aye, America should have been a later release, us arriving later is true to the lore:snfQuinn:
29 Oct 2016, 17:04 PM

I find the forcefully diversified Germans to be the weirdest part. No offense, but it still is based on WW1, isn't it?

https://www.coh2.org/file/12722/bf1-german-cavalry-officer-jpg.jpg

Maaan, you can tell so much this game was made for 'Murican audiences, coz we all know they're still a bit uptight about such things there.

I personally find it ridiculous. I don't want to feel like a game is pushing some political views in my face when I'm playing.

So I'm gonna pass on this one (unless they turn away from forcing 'Murican political concerns into the game).

Personally, as a German, I find it kind of insulting how they redistribute the recognition for all the suffering and death to another foukin' continent just to be politically correct >:(

[...] but DICE is from swedistan, so they might make another minority simulator, who knows.. because not displaying minorities is obviously racist, who cares about the majority, right?

they already kind of did.
political correctness > history & respect for the dead
30 Oct 2016, 07:27 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

I dunno man, these are not clear cut rights or wrongs. Who's to say the characters represent WWI soldiers, or maybe the people that are playing them in the game? I'm kinda surprised that you would not buy the game because all of the Germans don't have white skin. That's something that I didn't even notice until you pointed it out.

I say gameplay over realism, and perhaps how we represent ourselves should also take priority over "historical accuracy." It's a really fun game, and it's beautiful. Don't expect it to be a lesson on "how WWI was."
30 Oct 2016, 14:17 PM

I dunno man, these are not clear cut rights or wrongs. Who's to say the characters represent WWI soldiers, or maybe the people that are playing them in the game? I'm kinda surprised that you would not buy the game because all of the Germans don't have white skin. That's something that I didn't even notice until you pointed it out.

I say gameplay over realism, and perhaps how we represent ourselves should also take priority over "historical accuracy." It's a really fun game, and it's beautiful. Don't expect it to be a lesson on "how WWI was."

How would you feel if a film that talked about the apartheid portrayed Nelson Mandela as white? How would you feel that if Columbus got portrayed as a native american? How about the founding fathers being asian?
Not only would it be historically innacurate, it would just be downright insulting. Which is what it is.

For all cases an purposes, WW1 was a predominantly european conflict, that means it was fought for and by european people. And shoving down united states racial problems down your through out via historical revisionism is just downright disgusting.
30 Oct 2016, 15:57 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

You think "european people" are not properly represented in BF1? Personally I enjoy listening to the Italians, the Germans, the Brits, the Austrians, the Ottomans. The diversity of character models as well as vocal triggers is refreshing. How would you prefer it to be, exactly?
30 Oct 2016, 16:01 PM
30 Oct 2016, 17:45 PM

yeah, european countries totally didnt have any colonies.

http://www.blackpresence.co.uk/remembrance-day-black-asian-soldiers-in-ww1/

http://encyclopedia.1914-1918-online.net/article/colonial_military_participation_in_europe_africa

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33329661

google is cool

that's not really addressing his point though

his point was it was inaccurate and a bit silly to have half the German forces in an online game black. You know the same Germany army that spread propaganda to their troops on the front from how "pathetic" it was the French had to depend on colonial "savages" for the defense of france (their words not mine).

Imperial Germany has something like 5 black soldiers that served in Europe at the time and three were musicians in Hussar battalions, from what I've read only one was posted anywhere near the front. This was out of like 10 million mobilized Germans/poles.
30 Oct 2016, 18:06 PM

Black Germans is kinda odd but it makes sense for the Americans. Even though the units were segregated blacks did fight, and that way they can represent both without needing two different American factions in multiplayer. Like Ami said its more of a representation of the people playing the game than a history of who was fighting, thats not really political correctness. Nobody would make a game for the sake of appeasing PC Americans because its mostly a vocal minority of idiot 19 year old liberal arts majors with no father figure in their life...not a very large demographic.
30 Oct 2016, 18:07 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Oct 2016, 17:45 PMRollo
You know the same Germany army that spread propaganda to their troops on the front from how "pathetic" it was the French had to depend on colonial "savages" for the defense of france (their words not mine).

Not addressing either side of this debate, I'm just here to say this is probably unimportant considering how hypocrisy is the most unifying aspect of governments and politics.
30 Oct 2016, 21:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jun 2016, 04:03 AMFrencho

So if the French DLC is not FREE they can go take a hike!

Oh man, I quite enjoyed your rant :)

There's no need to be so upset over something so trivial Frencho. Just make your voice heard by voting with your wallet; ie not buying the game

there was even some feminist outrage about not portraying female soldiers. im not sure if this was troll or not, but in modern times everything is possible..

This PC bullshit is ruining not only our games but modern society
30 Oct 2016, 21:42 PM

Oh man, I quite enjoyed your rant :)

There's no need to be so upset over something so trivial Frencho. Just make your voice heard by voting with your wallet; ie not buying the game

This PC bullshit is ruining not only our games but modern society

Oh shush. Worst of all PC is ruining universities and social/news media, its hardly touched gaming. The idiots are too busy protesting, or trying to get "bigots" fired/expelled, they don't have any spare time for videogames.
31 Oct 2016, 05:10 AM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Oct 2016, 17:04 PMFluffi

lol yea. diversity/multiculturalism is totally only aemrican issue in recent days. all the while in Europe, Le Pen and those skinheads in germany are so welcoming to outsiders.
31 Oct 2016, 21:06 PM

Oh shush. Worst of all PC is ruining universities and social/news media, its hardly touched gaming. The idiots are too busy protesting, or trying to get "bigots" fired/expelled, they don't have any spare time for videogames.

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Oct 2016, 05:10 AMpigsoup

lol yea. diversity/multiculturalism is totally only aemrican issue in recent days. all the while in Europe, Le Pen and those skinheads in germany are so welcoming to outsiders.

While I would LOVE to get into a heated debate on this matter (and trust me I have loads to say on this as an outsider/observer), for the sake of OP and BF1, I will abstain.

Back on topic, how long is the campaign (in hours of gameplay)?
PAGES (8)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS