Login

russian armor

EA RTS Studio Turned Into A Parking Lot

• This thread is locked
12 Jul 2013, 20:45 PM

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-07-12-ea-phenomic-closed

the RTS genre has not exactly been flourishing the past 10 years.
This does not help.
12 Jul 2013, 22:51 PM
Senior Caster Badge

I never paid any attention to Spellforce because the half-naked woman they used to sell that game just made me mad about sexism. Tiberium Alliances was some sort of F2P browser MMO game so of course I ignored that. I think the future of RTS games is from indie studios, not studios looking to make huge money, because RTS is a niche genre that's not going to have many blockbuster hits, if any.
12 Jul 2013, 23:07 PM

What are some indie studios that have created RTS games? Most RTS games with online Multiplayer are from big studios with the big budget to set up servers etc.
13 Jul 2013, 00:11 AM

What are some indie studios that have created RTS games? Most RTS games with online Multiplayer are from big studios with the big budget to set up servers etc.

Swords & Soldiers.
its pretty good.
13 Jul 2013, 00:35 AM
Senior Caster Badge

Unknown Worlds Entertainment, Uber Entertainment, Arcen Games, 11 bit studios, BLENDO Games, Data Realms, Hidden Path Entertainment, Mode 7 Games (simultaneous turn based), Positech Games, Smestorp, Unigine Corp, Puppy Games, Electrolyte, Level Up Labs, Shining Rock Softeware, Abbey Games, 5 Lives Studios, Gareth Jenkins, Iridium Studios, Radiant Entertainment, PixelFoundry, BlueGiant Interactive, etc.
13 Jul 2013, 17:01 PM

The RTS genre suffers from being too special.

PC Gaming, as a whole, is on decline. PC specific titles are rare as it is, most of the other games survive properly because of multi-platform support.

As you can probably figure out, the RTS genre suffers from its input, mostly. Nobody has been able to properly translate an RTS game to a console. Halo Wars did a good attempt but nothing mind-blowing.

Halo managed to translate FPS into the console world (which began all the crazy FPS monotonous streak).Until the industry can figure out a way to translate it into consoles, or the PC market rebounds to the top again, we won't see it surge.

raw
22 Jul 2013, 20:41 PM

I never paid any attention to Spellforce because the half-naked woman they used to sell that game just made me mad about sexism.

Putting half-naked women on your game's cover is tradition of german game development studios.

Regarding RTS studios, we're pretty much down to Blizzard and Relic. All others have either been shut down, sold with an unknown future or already declared "NOPE, RTS R DED".
22 Jul 2013, 21:21 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Locking this JimRaynor trollthread.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak