Login

russian armor

Invasion of maphackers has begun

13 Jul 2013, 16:15 PM

i think and hope, that maphacks wont be the biggest problem anymore, because now, people are not risking their cohkey, but their entire steamaccount, which is a huge difference, given you have more than coh2 on you steamaccount!

Is this really true? People lose all of their Steam games for cheating in one game? That would be awesome news!
13 Jul 2013, 16:29 PM

No way Steam can do that. That is abuse if they do that. Hell I would almost never buy a steam game if that is the case, always real versions.

CoH1 and CoH2 in my eyes is a game which is extremely difficult to determine if someone truly is maphacking, from replays anyway. I never maphack, but some of the stuff I do could most defintely come across as a maphack, when sometimes it can just be just luck. Surely they won't be doing this off a replay based system.

One situation comes to mind clearly in CoH1. I wanted to test how acccurate a StuH attack ground command was and I actually hit a cloaked sniper in a random spot. Looks like map hack, but its just silly luck. If someone were to review that though and ban me, voiding me of hundreds of dollars in games and I would be disgusted.
13 Jul 2013, 17:26 PM

No way Steam can do that. That is abuse if they do that. Hell I would almost never buy a steam game if that is the case, always real versions.

CoH1 and CoH2 in my eyes is a game which is extremely difficult to determine if someone truly is maphacking, from replays anyway. I never maphack, but some of the stuff I do could most defintely come across as a maphack, when sometimes it can just be just luck. Surely they won't be doing this off a replay based system.

One situation comes to mind clearly in CoH1. I wanted to test how acccurate a StuH attack ground command was and I actually hit a cloaked sniper in a random spot. Looks like map hack, but its just silly luck. If someone were to review that though and ban me, voiding me of hundreds of dollars in games and I would be disgusted.

Don't worry the guys were very thorough and never game someones name to Relic unless they had multiple very suspicious games or one extremely obvious game like strafing cloaked stormtroops (yes people actually did that Kappa).
13 Jul 2013, 19:30 PM

Relic should buy the maphack software, then tear it apart so they know how to block it

You think they don't? The primary way cheat detection is made is by taking the source code of the hack and trying to find a way to detect it using a hook or something along those lines.

The only way Relic can preemptively catch cheaters is by installing rootkits onto your computer, which is illegal. You're going to be stuck reporting them for investigation after the fact.

The good news is: Steam. If someone is caught hacking their account is banned and they at least lose access to CoH2, if not all of their games.

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jul 2013, 22:16 PMZ3r07

dude, name me one game that's not hacked.

World of Tanks.

You wanna know why? Because it has servers.
13 Jul 2013, 19:52 PM
Donator 11

You think they don't? The primary way cheat detection is made is by taking the source code of the hack and trying to find a way to detect it using a hook or something along those lines.

The only way Relic can preemptively catch cheaters is by installing rootkits onto your computer, which is illegal. You're going to be stuck reporting them for investigation after the fact.

The good news is: Steam. If someone is caught hacking their account is banned and they at least lose access to CoH2, if not all of their games.

World of Tanks.

it also has 10x the amount of players playing the game because it's free, and almost a pay to win, which I don't think can work for a strategy game.
13 Jul 2013, 19:54 PM

sory but who da fook cares about those looser who use mh ? their problem,in any competition there will not be mh.

BTW sc.bw had tons of mh there were even some pros catched on mh like Testie and some others.
13 Jul 2013, 20:32 PM
Benefactor 115

World of Tanks.

Out of interest, what does the server do to prevent hacks for world of tanks. I say this because the client server model that blizzard employs does not prevent hacks. In fact Blizzard embarrassingly invited a few known hackers to their invitational a few years ago because of their ladder positions.
13 Jul 2013, 20:44 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Jul 2013, 19:52 PMZ3r07

it also has 10x the amount of players playing the game because it's free, and almost a pay to win, which I don't think can work for a strategy game.

it's now becomes a pay to save sh*t load of time game, which is good
13 Jul 2013, 20:48 PM
Honorary Member Badge

there are hacks for WOT guys ive found them look them up...

they are there. there is hacking in a sonic racing game for crying out loud servers do not stop hackers mw2 anyone.
13 Jul 2013, 23:13 PM

Out of interest, what does the server do to prevent hacks for world of tanks. I say this because the client server model that blizzard employs does not prevent hacks. In fact Blizzard embarrassingly invited a few known hackers to their invitational a few years ago because of their ladder positions.

It doesn't flat out 100% prevent them. It makes them WAY, WAYYYYYY harder to do though.

Basically it lets you shove things server side, which stops simple client modifications allowing you to do stuff like see the map.
15 Jul 2013, 05:02 AM

World of Tanks.

Is it a joke? :D
15 Jul 2013, 11:46 AM

Don't worry the guys were very thorough and never game someones name to Relic unless they had multiple very suspicious games or one extremely obvious game like strafing cloaked stormtroops (yes people actually did that Kappa).

Unfortunately this thorough approach was both a blessing and a curse in CoH1. People would only be banned for maphacking if there were like a million replays of them cheating. This meant it got really timeconsuming to hunt down cheaters, and a lot of cheaters would get away with it cause they only got reported once (which should still get them banned if it's clear in that specific replay they cheated!).

I do understand that sites like gr.org and coh2.org don't do naming and shaming. But not doing that, actively banning discussions about cheating (thank god this thread is still open), and only banning cheaters in case of overwhelming evidence simply results in cheaters not being battled effectively. Unfortunately we have all seen the results of that in CoH1.

Edit: Only "not-so-smart" people will actually get banned for maphack with the requirement of overwhelming evidence. It is just too easy to maphack, and not show that you do. Just don't kill snipers you can't see, don't destroy mines you haven't detected and DO use the info you get from where all his units are (and again; dont make it too obvious). This way pretty much any cheater with a brain can get away with cheating without being banned ever.
15 Jul 2013, 11:53 AM
Benefactor 115

Time to start playing in person.
15 Jul 2013, 23:27 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jul 2013, 11:46 AMStoffa

Unfortunately this thorough approach was both a blessing and a curse in CoH1. People would only be banned for maphacking if there were like a million replays of them cheating. This meant it got really timeconsuming to hunt down cheaters, and a lot of cheaters would get away with it cause they only got reported once (which should still get them banned if it's clear in that specific replay they cheated!).

I do understand that sites like gr.org and coh2.org don't do naming and shaming. But not doing that, actively banning discussions about cheating (thank god this thread is still open), and only banning cheaters in case of overwhelming evidence simply results in cheaters not being battled effectively. Unfortunately we have all seen the results of that in CoH1.

Edit: Only "not-so-smart" people will actually get banned for maphack with the requirement of overwhelming evidence. It is just too easy to maphack, and not show that you do. Just don't kill snipers you can't see, don't destroy mines you haven't detected and DO use the info you get from where all his units are (and again; dont make it too obvious). This way pretty much any cheater with a brain can get away with cheating without being banned ever.

I would rather some people not getting caught for maphacking than whole swaithes of the community being wrongly banned for maphacking.

Remember that, sometimes, accusations of maphacking can come from paranoia and ego. So far, I don't think I have played against a maphacker after a year of playing.
15 Jul 2013, 23:44 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jul 2013, 23:27 PMhubewa

I would rather some people not getting caught for maphacking than whole swaithes of the community being wrongly banned for maphacking.

Remember that, sometimes, accusations of maphacking can come from paranoia and ego. So far, I don't think I have played against a maphacker after a year of playing.

I know how you feel about false accusations.. I was falsely accused of being JimRaynor.
16 Jul 2013, 12:48 PM

My solution for maphacks: allow player to get 1-2 screenshots per game of his opponents screen.
16 Jul 2013, 19:15 PM

It was just matter of time, we had a bet on it with my friends, i was close with my month.

On gr,org when we had this topic about cheaters, everybody would come up with crazy or not that crazy ideas to stop, or significantly slow it down.

I said, relic should dodge the map hack with hot fixes. Cost effective, download the hack asap its available to the public, analyze, and get the cure, release it,
Let the hackers to come up with something else, and till that time we have hack free playing.
Its not gonna be %100 hack free, but depending on relic's speed, it could be relativity safe.

But of course, relic has to do it, not just talk about it, or ask you guy to be more patience, since the game just came out.

16 Jul 2013, 19:26 PM

alwyas gonna be hacks. Let them hack, means I will have to up my game and they can't hack my molotovs!!!
16 Jul 2013, 19:38 PM

once i've seen the most retarded hacker ever, it was multi because my friend was playing it, he used some hack that caused some epic abilities on units that shouldn't have them, for example, Wehrmacht P4 and panthers had lock down ability (same as Marder), goliath had sniper cloak ability and if i remember well stormtroopers were moving at full speed. I'm not kidding, that hack exist or at least existed Kappa
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★