Login

russian armor

Encirclement doctrine vs. Map design

1 May 2016, 19:58 PM

From my own experience of using that interesting and unusual doctrine I should say only 1 thing - it would work better in vCoH, than in CoH 2. Reason is simple - map and points design.

In vCoH maps were much bigger, had more points on them and each point had way lesser control area. With such map design that was much more simplier to capture enemy points in back and close sectors. And closed area sectors would be much bigger, cos each point itself has not so much around ("close pocket arty" works ONLY on enemy captured closed sectors). With all that - Encirclement doctrine and it's main ability "Close pocket arty" would be really effective and dangerous.

But in Coh 2 maps are smaller, less points and each has way more territory under control. With all of that - effectivness of Encirclement doctrine becomes way lesser, because even if you captured backpoints, even if you closed enemy sectors - there will be pretty small closed areas and they won't include enough enemy units and structures, destryoing which will justify your efforts and resourse investment into closing sectors. A lot of enemy units/structures may stand in areas of backpoints, which will become neutral or your own and won't be affected with "close pocket arty".

And also - that's pretty hard to capture and hold long enough points with such design, cos maps are small - enemy units can get pretty fast from base or frontline to your infantry/tanks, which capturing points, kill them and restore control, open sectors.

I think something should be done about it. Of course, it's pretty stupid to suggest changing of entire game map design just for one doctrine (but I think, that old design was better even without it). I think Encircliment doctrine should be buffed, for to make it more effective on such small and low-point-avaialabe-to-capture-for-to-close-sectors maps. Maybe "close pocket arty" should affect not only closed sectors, but also parts of sectors around. Maybe other abilities should be improved, for to make closing pockets more simple, cos right now it's just like special operation for you - to close enemy sector. It's fun, it's challenge for you and that's what for I like that doctrine. But it's so lame to lose, when you invested yourself in that "spec-ops" so hard, and your enemy just breaking your plans because of poor map design without any problems...

P.S. There are a lot of same doctrines, like Partisans or like that, which also hardly depended in their efficiency on maps or such stuff. We can also discuss them, but personally I worry more about Encirclement, because... it's pretty unusual and interesting one. Gives you non-standart gameplay.
1 May 2016, 20:03 PM

Close the pocket is fine.
1 May 2016, 22:20 PM

+1
1 May 2016, 23:50 PM

On some maps its basically impossible for it to have any effect. I haven't seen it in forever
2 May 2016, 00:35 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

dont even get me started
2 May 2016, 19:21 PM

most useless doctrine
2 May 2016, 19:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 May 2016, 19:21 PMSoheil
most useless doctrine

Someone forgot about soviet Defensive doctrine... Or about Royal Artillery.
2 May 2016, 19:29 PM

Someone forgot about soviet Defensive doctrine... Or about Royal Artillery.

indeed u right ,but most useless is encircement that ive never seen monthes till now in any mode 1v1....4v4 :)
2 May 2016, 20:27 PM

Soviet Defensive Tactics is a very viable commander. Even moreso in the balance mod.

Encirclement doctrine on the other hand is not good in 1v1. But it's alright in team games.
2 May 2016, 20:46 PM

Close the pocket is essentially a game winning ability if it gets triggered at any game level. It is however very hard to use, as a result of this. Any buffs to any of its design would immediately require a rework of the artillery to compensate.
2 May 2016, 20:55 PM

Close the pocket is essentially a game winning ability if it gets triggered at any game level. It is however very hard to use, as a result of this. Any buffs to any of its design would immediately require a rework of the artillery to compensate.

With such map deisgin in game it can't be real "win teh gaem" ability. I think it should be either buffed for to be real wingame button, or... closing pockets should become easier, but close pocket itself should become little weaker.
3 May 2016, 22:32 PM

+1

+2

On some maps its basically impossible for it to have any effect. I haven't seen it in forever

Come play some 4v4 with me. I use it often

Close the pocket is essentially a game winning ability if it gets triggered at any game level. It is however very hard to use, as a result of this.

It is very hard indeed

With such map deisgin in game it can't be real "win teh gaem" ability. I think it should be either buffed for to be real wingame button, or... closing pockets should become easier, but close pocket itself should become little weaker.

Sorry Miss, but I am inclined to disagree with you.
You can stop me executing it at any time by simply building a cache on your closes/cut off points
4 May 2016, 05:55 AM

I just want to say, Closing the Pocket in a 1v1 is quite possibly the single most unexpected F' you you can possibly deliver simply because its so unexpected. It can utterly destroy Brits in particular. That being said, perhaps having it bomb neutral sectors as well might make the risk-reward ratio a little better, but I'm not entirely sure its necessary on most maps.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★