Login

russian armor

[1v1] SU. On a winning streak but...

30 Apr 2016, 00:34 AM

Read a book about the Ostfront and it inspired me to get back to playing as the Red Army. Using the Guards Motor commander, I've had a string of victories, and have climbed up 3-400 ranks this week. So why am I asking for help?

As you can see in the replay I've attached, or several of the others I've posted, my wins aren't always convincing - there are several moments where I could have lost the game had my opponent been more decisive.

I think I'm good at unit preservation, setting up defensive lines, and countering aggressive vehicle play. I struggle with using my own tanks effectively, and going on the offensive.

Would love any tips/advice on where my micro or builds are going wrong so that I can keep my streak up and carry on up the ladder!

1 May 2016, 03:51 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

just so you know your replays not being ignored, im going to assign this to someone who's played more soviet 1v1's than me lately(Its been over 6 months...or longer, i cant remember; since Ive played soviets in 1v1) so you can get the best most relevant advice possible.

So expect it soon tm, sorry for the delay. :)

1 May 2016, 13:37 PM

I will start with the build order.
The mortar was a bit too early,maybe a maxim or another con instead ?They are much better at capping and attacking in the first few minutes of the game.
T-70 was also bit a late.

More importantly you should play more aggressive.Cap more points,play your cards right(if he got no troops left,attack),be always on the move.
Due to your passive playstyle he was able to afford 2 p4s and a command panther while you only had one tank.
Thats all for now,good luck ! :)

1 May 2016, 17:22 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Early game you started out trying to be defensive, which just isn't going to work without more infantry. One maxim, one con, and one mortar have no chance of beating a kubel, one sturm, and one volks. You will have to bunch up to try to hold anything, and will just get outcapped on the rest of the map. The first mortar was also useless for the first few minutes you got it out. It came out at about 3:30, it didn't hit a single squad until 7:00. Just spent all that time trying to push out and then retreat because you had nothing to hold ground with. You will notice that you started to come back into the field once you got that second maxim out. After that would be a good time to get the mortar.

The mortars did win you the game though. Your squad preservation was great, and your opponent just didn't micro enough and kept pushing too deep, getting wiped by your mortars. So you played defensively well, just make sure you are actually ready and able to hold ground before you start trying. Soviets need to play aggressive, at least in the very beginning of the match.

A few vehicle tips:
- T-70 came out after enemy mediums were on the field, bad choice unless you are way ahead in fuel
- You had the t-70 on prioritize vehicles. Useless against a p4, it's only going to hurt infantry so keep it firing at infantry
- You kept trying to poke his base with your t-34 while he had 2 tanks. You got lucky, that is begging to be surrounded
- You dove deep at the very end to kill the panther and barely missed a mine. Twice. So close to losing your only real tank, it wouldn't have been worth it to lose it.
1 May 2016, 23:19 PM

Wow, two replies, thanks guys!

Yeah, that aggressive push on the cut-off threw me quite a bit - I normally never bother with the 80mm mortar, felt a bit panicked. Not even sure what made me opt for the T-70, either. As you say, didn't really make the most of it.

Didn't realise there was a mine at the end there, I don't think (which is bad) - that would have been pretty devastating, yeah!

More aggressive sounds about right.

Thanks a lot for your time
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight