Login

russian armor

Guide on Impact of Bulletins

13 Jul 2013, 14:18 PM
Donator 11

We have to remember, that there are dozens of variables interacting with each other to consumate a battle. Positioning, cover, movement, distance, critical hits, support, LOS, etc.

These should always be taken into account in a laboratory setting: that is, ideal conditions. Skill is always the largest determining factor in a firefight, since it reduces the luck factor.

combat muffin, would it be okay for you, that i take this as a part of the guide? because its perfectly written. i might take out "distance", because distance is not anymore important in a conscript vs gren fight looking at their accuracy, and "critical hits", because im not sure wether they exist. i will ask one of the devs about this though!
13 Jul 2013, 14:19 PM

Guess what? Thats a 3% health increase...

No, it is not. The way you simply divide by the DPS does not work out because early game conscripts and engineers have slow firing bolt action rifles. Furthermore, overkill damage does not transfer to other soldiers of the same squad.
Your estimation only applies to small damaging very fast firing weapons. Effective health (especially in early game) calculates differently.

Each individual soldier can take one hit more from the slow firing rifles. Normally, they can take 80/16=5 hits. With the upgrade they still have 2 hp left after getting hit 5 times. This means they have to be hit once more. 1 shot increase over 5 shots is a 1/5 = 20% increase.

And yeah, the cost decreases aren't worth it.
13 Jul 2013, 15:13 PM

Yes, I meant to say damage per shot instead of hits. Why? because originally they can withstand 4 hits, but not 5 (4 * 16 < 5 x 16 = 80 = squad lost) and after the health buff they can withstand 5 hits, but not 6 (5 x 16 < 82.4 < 6 x 16). This means they can now withstand [(5-4)/4]*100% = 25% more hits. However, the length of the battle is not related to hits, but expected damage per shot, because it is related to the chance of a shot to penetrate (0.66 x 16 = 10.56). To account for this, we can, for instance, repeat it 100 times. You did it for 1 squad, which means you have rounded off a lot of numbers. This is important, because the battle can last quite long if there are very few penetrating shots/hits.

If I do the same for 100 squads it approximates the true values. So, 100 squads can withstand 499 hits, but not 500 (499 * 16 < 500 x 16 = 8000 = squads lost) and after the health buff 100 squads can withstand 500 hits, but not 515 hits (500 x 16 < 8240 = 515 x 16). This means they can now withstand [(514-499)/499]* 100% = 3% more hits.

Your math would have been right if chance would not have been involved, because then, the case would be the same for every single squad.
13 Jul 2013, 15:33 PM
Donator 11

If I do the same for 100 squads it approximates the true values. So, 100 squads can withstand 499 hits, but not 500 (499 * 16 < 500 x 16 = 8000 = squads lost) and after the health buff 100 squads can withstand 500 hits, but not 515 hits (500 x 16 < 8240 = 515 x 16). This means they can now withstand [(514-499)/499]* 100% = 3% more hits.

WRONG!
100 guys can withstand 500 shots without, and 600 with health buff, because 1 guy can withstand 5 without health and 6 with! this is 25%!
your fault is, that the damage of a shot DOESNT do damage to a squad, BUT TO A SINGLE GUY!! So if a guy has 2 hp left after 4 shots, the next shot will kill him, BUT THE REST OF THE 16 DAMAGE so 14, will NOT kill/hurt another guy.

THIS is, what makes these bulletins so strong.
and dont talk about penetration. just get your formula like accuracy*penetration/armor=actual accuracy
13 Jul 2013, 18:11 PM

combat muffin, would it be okay for you, that i take this as a part of the guide? because its perfectly written. i might take out "distance", because distance is not anymore important in a conscript vs gren fight looking at their accuracy, and "critical hits", because im not sure wether they exist. i will ask one of the devs about this though!

Of course man, take it and paraphrase it all you want!

I am curious what you guys think of the Mortar HT 20% faster cooldowns bulletin. If Im not mistaken, it takes 45 seconds for its abilities to recharge, using the bulletin it would take 36. Its only 9 seconds, but if in games where you use more than one or use them very aggressively, it could make a small improvement?
13 Jul 2013, 20:56 PM

Panzer Grenedier has a 5% accuracy buff, looks juicy, but do 5% accuracy do that much a difference?

BTW, I've heard from a old COH mate, infantry in vCOH below 10% of health=instant death...hope that is just a rumor
14 Jul 2013, 10:44 AM
Donator 11

@combatmuffin
thnx. yeah, it is definetely a improvement, if you use it alot. but keep in mind that the unit is doctrinal, and within these 9 seconds, the difference is only like 1 or 2 rounds i believe.
@UGBEAR
i asked the devs about near and far accuracy, as soon as they answer, i can tell you the difference it makes!
14 Jul 2013, 17:23 PM

i've said it before and i'll say it again... criticals DO exist. you can even see them in regular battles all the time. see a casualty that is not a corpse? critical. see a flamethrower dude blow up? critical. see a flamed squad member running around in agony before his charred remains drop dead to the ground? critical.

just because you don't know they are there, doesn't mean they don't exist.

and the near/far accuracy thing has been answered on this forum many times already, whatever your exact question might have been.
14 Jul 2013, 18:03 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jul 2013, 17:23 PMcr4wler

just because you don't know they are there, doesn't mean they don't exist.

you can say it as often as you want, but i need a PROVE because this guide will he hopefully OFFICIAL ON COH2.ORG and therefore i need to be sure to make no mistakes. its nothing personal man, so ceep calm :)!

as for the near/far: can you send me the link via pm or this thread, because i actually didnt find one specificly about near/far formula. in one thread i red, that near=0 means, that always far will count, but i need a prove aswell. thnx!
14 Jul 2013, 18:39 PM

I don't think the proof is in the .sga files? I mean, it could be buried in the code somewhere, but I have definitely seen criticals in the game.

Its not common, but it happens: you run around, find an enemy squad, first volley of shots is fired and a man goes down super quick. That was a critical. Sometimes even behind heavy cover.

I agree though, it would be nice to know the chances of a critical happening, and to know exactly how they interact with the game. Until we have an approximate formula, we can't really equate them :(
14 Jul 2013, 19:30 PM

but i need a PROVE

if you need proof, why did you take coh2stats at face value? where is the proof over there? my proof is that i take my information from the game files... if you did the same, you would know it to be true.

i'll say it one last time:
criticals exist. there is a list of all criticals in the attribarchive.sga in the attrib/critical subfolder. each entity has its own criticalgroups, which contain references to the criticals, along with paramters about likelihood, applicable weapons, max_health_percentage and so on.
14 Jul 2013, 20:11 PM
Donator 11

i took the coh2stats, because they get the numbers from the gamefiles.
jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jul 2013, 19:30 PMcr4wler

criticals exist. there is a list of all criticals in the attribarchive.sga in the attrib/critical subfolder.

THIS is what i needed. thank you. Finally not just saying "im right". now i can look it up and see, how it affects the game and the buffs and therefore this guide.

near/far seems to be linear between these two ranges, have it from another site, where they said it was conformed by a dev, dont know...
14 Jul 2013, 22:24 PM

it is linear afaik, a dev posted somewhere on this site... couldn't find the thread though. in another thread (i think it was the one from adder with the DPS) i posted how to calculate accuracy between near and far (which should be accurate) and some stuff regarding calculating DPS.
15 Jul 2013, 06:13 AM
Donator 11

found it on another site:

Min to Near: Use the values specified for Near (accuracy, cooldown, etc.)
Far to Max: Use the values specified for Far
Near to Far: Linear scale between Near and Far (i.e. if Near is 10m and 50% accuracy, and Far is 40m and 25% accuracy, then 25m is half-way between the two and is 37.5% accuracy).

((actual range -near range/ far range-near range) * (far accuracy - near accuracy) + near accuracy).
15 Jul 2013, 06:38 AM

Permanently Banned
Adjusting range accuracies may be one feasible way to affect small arms fire.
15 Jul 2013, 06:38 AM
Donator 11

@crawler
which programm do u use to open .rgd-files?
tried it with corsix, but cursix said sth. like "no support for version 0"
15 Jul 2013, 08:00 AM

SGA Extractor
RGD Converter

i started writing my own ones back in december, but cope (the beast) was done with his like 1 or 2 days after i started out. never bothered continueing after that, since his tools work perfectly.
15 Jul 2013, 10:53 AM
Donator 11

this is the bullet_hit_critical.rgd:
GameData: {
| critical_bag: {
| | actions: [
| | ];
| | critical_indicators: {
| | | indicator_01: "";
| | | indicator_02: "";
| | | indicator_03: "";
| | };
| | description: "";
| | hotkey_name: "";
| | icon_name: "";
| | is_unique: true;
| | kicker_message: {
| | | message_colour_a: 255f;
| | | message_colour_b: 0f;
| | | message_colour_g: 0f;
| | | message_colour_r: 255f;
| | | message_seconds: 1f;
| | };
| | repairable: true;
| | requirements: [
| | ];
| | target: "tp_entity";
| };
};
15 Jul 2013, 10:55 AM
Donator 11

|actions: [
| | ];

no actions means no extra damage, or am i wrong?
15 Jul 2013, 12:34 PM

no actions means no extra damage, or am i wrong?

no actions means exactly that: no actions.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

United States 14
United Kingdom 113
United States 7
United States 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %