Login

russian armor

How to deal with mortar emplacement on small maps?

24 Apr 2016, 14:34 PM

They seem to come around the time I hit tier 2, and at this stage in the game wehr doesn't seem to have anything that can capitalize on the fact that the enemy spent his resources on the emplacement. At least OKW can get a field gun or a luchs to punish the enemy. Meanwhile, good luck approaching any points that the enemy holds, because the mortar can fire anywhere on the map. 2 wehr mortars can't seem to kill it before they die themselves and if you unpack, fire, pack and move, by the time you can fire again the brit mortar is already repaired.

How to people deal with this? Flame HT maybe?
24 Apr 2016, 15:16 PM

Flame HT is your only hope, either you rekt everything or you can /leave :snfPeter:
24 Apr 2016, 15:17 PM

They seem to come around the time I hit tier 2, and at this stage in the game wehr doesn't seem to have anything that can capitalize on the fact that the enemy spent his resources on the emplacement. At least OKW can get a field gun or a luchs to punish the enemy. Meanwhile, good luck approaching any points that the enemy holds, because the mortar can fire anywhere on the map. 2 wehr mortars can't seem to kill it before they die themselves and if you unpack, fire, pack and move, by the time you can fire again the brit mortar is already repaired.

Use a flame haltrack to splash some fire onto that emplacement, if the British player has an anti-tank gun/Bofors/AEC. A mortar halftrack would be recommended since it can fire on the move and it is mobile enough to dodge the raining death the British have over anyone else.

I won't stop there, but the mortar halftrack has a flame barrage ability so it could burn away at the emplacement's health. Though you have to be careful, there might be an AEC to catch you off guard so expect a response and send a unit to check on the damage occasionally.
24 Apr 2016, 15:21 PM

Wehr is really poor vs well defended mortar emplacement... as it can be well protected by AT, MG, Infantry sections reserves and maybe bofors, and if it is build in a small map... like angoville where single mortar emplacements can cover two VP and one fuel, sorry maybe because I am not good but I don't think there is really anyway to assault and finish that position in midgame.

What I suggest is do hard push early game, as what I experienced, a early sniper with 3 grens can nail the early game vs brit pretty well. Upgrade into T2 fast and get 222 with panzergrens to further secure your advantages. Then after that I can't really tell as the opponent may using different strats.
24 Apr 2016, 15:40 PM

One or two mortars in green cover, halftrack between them for reinforcing and once your barrage gets to cooldown, use attack ground order
24 Apr 2016, 16:11 PM

Thanks, looks like I need a mortar HT doctrine in my loadout in case I run into brits...
24 Apr 2016, 16:18 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Flame halftrack Rush vs early pits

Mortar halftrack vs bofors

If he gets both before your flame halftrack is even out youre either playing vs advanced emplacements or you did something wrong
24 Apr 2016, 16:23 PM

make as many threads as possible and spread the word, all of you

this horrible insult of an unit nees to go to the hades
24 Apr 2016, 17:52 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Get up in that ass before they can dig in too well. You want to destroy it before they could possibly get a bofors, if it's practical on that map.

You want some kind of light vehicle to push behind them to throw off the vickers, while you bring your own units up. 222 or flamehalftrack. Once you know where the vickers is facing flank it and push up with an mg42 and pak. Use mg on the ISs and shoot at the mortar with a pak until he braces. Hopefully it doesn't kill your pak first, and hopefully you kept the mg alive to keep his infantry away. Bring the mg up into the minimum range of the mortar pit and hold off any counter attack from his infantry until the brace goes down, then finish it off. Incendiary rounds also work really well to destroy the mortar if your pak dies. This is pretty best case scenario stuff, it gets a lot more complicated depending on the map layout and where the damn thing is, and his unit composition.
27 Apr 2016, 16:13 PM

One or two mortars in green cover, halftrack between them for reinforcing and once your barrage gets to cooldown, use attack ground order

ohh I really like this idea. Though the half track is vulnerable to the mortars as well.

My own experience with british emplacements is using mostly the mortar halftracks. Honestly the flame helps but it isnt the end all be all of countering. Dont get me wrong it works and I use it but I use it as a piece of the puzzle. I try to flame the emplacement and use shift click to queue up an immediate move to a different position to avoid initial bombardment then I use either attack ground or barrage to keep hitting it constantly. The flame is good but constant mortar shells seem to do more damage. Anytime they target your mortar you HAVE to move it. the Wehr mortars and halftrack cant withstand the damage before the emplacement goes down. Now I typically only play 4v4 with some friends but in these it usually is that there is always some place emplacements go up, I either try to kill them in a focused manner to prevent a snowball sim city or I ignore the area entirely and set up a back defensive line just to hold back any pushes on that side.

With the advanced emplacement regiment I have found the earlier you kill emplacements the less of a pain they are because they wont be able to get the auto repair yet. ( also found out last night they have to upgrade the auto repair on a per forward assembly basis, making killing these even more valuable).

Even if your mortars cant kill the emplacement you have to keep hitting it because if they dont have the auto repair that means they are repairing it with infantry and they die very easily when repairing to mortars which still costs the enemy manpower and time.

wow I typed way more than I had originally intended...
27 Apr 2016, 16:55 PM

Its just sad that this mechanic is in the game. Meanwhile, while you spend half the game trying to solve that puzzle, the Brit player has built a sizable army with all the resources he has controlled. Sometimes the best thing is to avoid confrontation til later. Good luck getting rid of sin city in maps like ettlebruck though. And I'm sorry but incendiary mortar round do shit all to advanced emplacements. They are repaired back to full health in seconds.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★