Login

russian armor

British VS OKW Explanation

13 Apr 2016, 10:16 AM

I'm a fairly new player to COH2 but not to RTS(was plat in SC2)and am curious about a lot of option that the OKW have and what I can do against them, I don't know if this post belongs in this exact forum but i'm sure a mod will move it. I mainly play 2v2, myself as British and my friend as US but it seems like I don't have many ways to combat a good OKW player.

I have been using the well known Northweapon guide on 2v2 British but after we have secured a good half of the map it feels like the OKW has a better unit than what I do but for cheaper. I feel as though their infantry(starting unit, they may be their engineers) completely shut mine out so I cannot get aggressive if I try to build a mortar pit instead and it is quickly rushed down or the enemy mortars take mine out rather quickly since mine is static. If they lay their base down its got the turret on top that suppresses and penetrates armor so there's no getting past that defense. The OKW also back cap better than I can assume dominance.

Are the OKW the clear cut best army in this game or am I horribly misusing the British faction? Is there anyway to counter or stop the OKW from assuming dominance with their base-turret? What are the weakness of the OKW and how do I exploit and abuse it? Finally, what is the strength of the British army? I refuse to give up at this game, this is not a salt thread but rather a thread asking for help. Any and all tips are welcomed aside from shutting down my cry for help by saying "L2P", "Get better", or "Show Playercard".
13 Apr 2016, 11:10 AM

L2P man!!!!

nahh, you should post a replay so people can check it and tell you if your army composition is good, where you went wrong, and so on....

that´s the best way to get advice on how to improve at this game....

check your replays when you lose a match, look for mistakes and eventually you will improve....

In addition you can play some games with OKW so you can discover in an easier way where are their problems and so on...

13 Apr 2016, 12:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Apr 2016, 11:10 AMFul4n0
L2P man!!!!

nahh, you should post a replay so people can check it and tell you if your army composition is good, where you went wrong, and so on....

that´s the best way to get advice on how to improve at this game....

check your replays when you lose a match, look for mistakes and eventually you will improve....

In addition you can play some games with OKW so you can discover in an easier way where are their problems and so on...

Thanks for the reply man, I will post a Replay of my next 2v2 with my friend here for advice, thank you.
14 Apr 2016, 23:52 PM

I'd say you have a pretty good grasp of the problems faced when playing OKW in particular. Only the Cromwell is clearly superior to the units that you face on an individual basis.

Sturms in particular beat your Infantry in almost any situation. Tommies in green cover with Sturms of equal vet closing across red cover? Tommies lose. Commandos will beat them, but not trade efficiently with them due to their higher cost.

In general therefore Brits rely on their commanders to make up the shortfall in raw firepower and serviceability. This requires you to tailor your playstyle around the commander though as many of the commander abilities have been nerfed into the ground sometimes it doesn't leave much. Artillery cover for instance in Tactical support was once your only option to even up the odds in one desperate push as per NorthWeapon's guide.

Schwerers are particularly difficult. Other than catching them whilst they are building nothing short of medium tanks focus firing them is effective. Off map artillery can help, as can an AT gun but they require protection from the inevitable shreck blobs.

OKW seem to be stronger at every stage of the game however the command vehicle with either the Royal Engineers or Tactical support can give you local superiority, as can a well placed and well defended mortar pit. Emplacements in general are a mugs game, whilst they buy you some time their destruction is inevitable due to the infantry support guns and you are just escalating to later game where OKW become even stronger.

Since the vet bug was fixed the late game hinges on wiping highly vetted OKW squads, Brenned up IS or engineers can trade well if slowly with them but only HE either in the form of armour, mortar pit or mines really gives you a chance to wipe against a good player.

Fuel is the key, if you can deny OKW fuel and escalate to armoured warfare before them then it is a win, course this entails taking out the Schwerer which is likely guarding one of the fuels and a VP...

The options you have therefore are based upon commander abilities... I'd say these are in order of effectiveness / popularity..

1. Vanguard. Allows you to deny fuel by harassing the cutoff through capping with vehicles. Also strafes punish vehicle blobs and the Croc punishes infantry blobs.
2. Mobile assault. Allows you to ensure that concentration of force is punished through the land mattress.
3. Royal Engineer / Tactical support. Allows you local superiority by use of a rather fragile command vehicle. Avre is effective as was artillery cover. Observation post allows strafes though the munitions costs inherent in this commander are huge.

OKW's real achilles heel is suppression, though no commander helps in this regard and the Vicker's legendary inability to effectively suppress often makes for rofl stomps.

If you can get to the late game then a pit and snipers are effective at attriting OKW squads, AECs at chasing down anything which doesn't have shrecks. Comets too, though they come too late to be relied upon individually.

All of which basically leaves the Cromwell.
15 Apr 2016, 05:15 AM

Brits vs OKW is all about neutralizing their infantry with suppression and supporting fire (mortars, bofors barrage, 25 lber barrage) while tommies hold the line and deal out the damage in relative safety.

Trying to take on volks/sturms 1:1 with just tommies is as suicidal as Ostheer trying to do the same against USF with grenadiers.

15 Apr 2016, 16:16 PM

I'd say you have a pretty good grasp of the problems faced when playing OKW in particular. Only the Cromwell is clearly superior to the units that you face on an individual basis.

Sturms in particular beat your Infantry in almost any situation. Tommies in green cover with Sturms of equal vet closing across red cover? Tommies lose. Commandos will beat them, but not trade efficiently with them due to their higher cost.

In general therefore Brits rely on their commanders to make up the shortfall in raw firepower and serviceability. This requires you to tailor your playstyle around the commander though as many of the commander abilities have been nerfed into the ground sometimes it doesn't leave much. Artillery cover for instance in Tactical support was once your only option to even up the odds in one desperate push as per NorthWeapon's guide.

Schwerers are particularly difficult. Other than catching them whilst they are building nothing short of medium tanks focus firing them is effective. Off map artillery can help, as can an AT gun but they require protection from the inevitable shreck blobs.

OKW seem to be stronger at every stage of the game however the command vehicle with either the Royal Engineers or Tactical support can give you local superiority, as can a well placed and well defended mortar pit. Emplacements in general are a mugs game, whilst they buy you some time their destruction is inevitable due to the infantry support guns and you are just escalating to later game where OKW become even stronger.

Since the vet bug was fixed the late game hinges on wiping highly vetted OKW squads, Brenned up IS or engineers can trade well if slowly with them but only HE either in the form of armour, mortar pit or mines really gives you a chance to wipe against a good player.

Fuel is the key, if you can deny OKW fuel and escalate to armoured warfare before them then it is a win, course this entails taking out the Schwerer which is likely guarding one of the fuels and a VP...

The options you have therefore are based upon commander abilities... I'd say these are in order of effectiveness / popularity..

1. Vanguard. Allows you to deny fuel by harassing the cutoff through capping with vehicles. Also strafes punish vehicle blobs and the Croc punishes infantry blobs.
2. Mobile assault. Allows you to ensure that concentration of force is punished through the land mattress.
3. Royal Engineer / Tactical support. Allows you local superiority by use of a rather fragile command vehicle. Avre is effective as was artillery cover. Observation post allows strafes though the munitions costs inherent in this commander are huge.

OKW's real achilles heel is suppression, though no commander helps in this regard and the Vicker's legendary inability to effectively suppress often makes for rofl stomps.

If you can get to the late game then a pit and snipers are effective at attriting OKW squads, AECs at chasing down anything which doesn't have shrecks. Comets too, though they come too late to be relied upon individually.

All of which basically leaves the Cromwell.
thanks for the MOAB of info dude :) ive been preforming really well lately with the land mattress commander. only problem I run into is my cromwells come out really late when I go into an aec is that normal?
15 Apr 2016, 22:54 PM

If I am reading your post correctly; it is normal since they increased the Aec fuel cost in the last patch or two, I do not remember which patch it was exactly.
15 Apr 2016, 22:59 PM

If I am reading your post correctly; it is normal since they increased the Aec fuel cost in the last patch or two, I do not remember which patch it was exactly.
oh okay thanks for letting me know
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS