31%
50%
19%
Total votes: 86
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
12 Apr 2016, 17:03 PM
Donator 11

Hey boiiis
Mittens here, wondering what you guys think about a community balance patch much like the ones seen in Natural Selection 2. Rather than waiting on Relic to push balance patches we as a community could work together to find fair changes and fix a lot of the issues we find out of our thousands of hours.

What do you guys think?
Do you think people should have to apply to do changes?
Who do you think should be allowed to have final say in changes?

Let Relic know that we as a community can handle balance as they switch over to DOW3 or their other future IP.
12 Apr 2016, 17:08 PM
Donator 11

We had great cruzz mod. Now we have epic miragefla mod. I don't know if its a pride factor or sth but relic refuses to implement changes from these mods. There is not much more community can do to help them out.
12 Apr 2016, 17:14 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

if the team was made up of people who are 1v1 or possibly some 2v2 competitive people including veteran competitive mappers (the map pool must be improved) and competitive players, yea this is what we did back in the day and we should do now....IF Relic would take the group seriously and make changes based on a collaboration with Relic and taking the groups reccomendations. Yes good idea.

If Relic doesnt take the group seriously, waste of time, but nice thought.
12 Apr 2016, 17:17 PM
Donator 11

if the team was made up of people who are 1v1 or possibly some 2v2 competitive people including veteran competitive mappers (the map pool must be improved) and competitive players, yea this is what we did back in the day and we should do now....IF Relic would take the group seriously and make changes based on a collaboration with Relic and taking the groups reccomendations. Yes good idea.

Yeah, it worked great in the past it can work again. But only in this way, becouse we also had some terrible ways and effects of collaboration with relic, for example in the infamous okw redesign thread.
12 Apr 2016, 17:22 PM

One question. Would you be able to put it into automatch?
12 Apr 2016, 17:23 PM

they wont, they need imbalance to sell their stuff. sad but reality.
12 Apr 2016, 17:24 PM

I participated in some of the vCoH community patch attempts back in the day.

Yes, some interesting things came out of it, but in the end we're still dependent on Relic implementing the changes which isn't all that different from what we have now.

What we'd need is a way to get mods in the automatch pool so Relic's lethargic patching process is completely bypassed.
12 Apr 2016, 17:28 PM
Donator 11

I participated in some of the vCoH community patch attempts back in the day.

Yes, some interesting things came out of it, but in the end we're still dependent on Relic implementing the changes which isn't all that different from what we have now.

What we'd need is a way to get mods in the automatch pool so Relic's lethargic patching process is completely bypassed.

You dont HAVE to do mods. pushing small patches Im sure isn't that costly Weekly patches may be possible if they are small enough and have happened before.

Regardless the a patches would be pushed faster, more accurately, and with better changes that dont seal club units out of existence. OFC large changes such as community skins and maps but those are different.
12 Apr 2016, 17:31 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Apr 2016, 17:28 PMMittens

You dont HAVE to do mods. pushing small patches Im sure isn't that costly Weekly patches may be possible if they are small enough and have happened before.

Regardless the a patches would be pushed faster, more accurately, and with better changes that dont seal club units out of existence.

one thousand times this
12 Apr 2016, 17:36 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Apr 2016, 17:28 PMMittens

Regardless the a patches would be pushed faster, more accurately, and with better changes that dont seal club units out of existence. OFC large changes such as community skins and maps but those are different.

Any public changes to the game ARE mods.

I'm not sure how you imagine this would work. It's not like Relic is going to push community developed code to their production branch.
12 Apr 2016, 17:41 PM
Donator 11

Any public changes to the game ARE mods.

I'm not sure how you imagine this would work. It's not like Relic is going to push community developed code to their production branch.

Not really the code. Becouse in case of ballance no coding is needed. Its more like in the past there was a patch when community representatives decided what should be done and relic implemented it. Haven't you realised that relic is often like child in the dark room when it comes to ballancing? That's becouse they have developers, but don't consult best players. And that is what Mittens ment, that they should consult instead of doing random changes.
12 Apr 2016, 17:56 PM
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

Oh this hasn't been tried like 5 times already. :P
12 Apr 2016, 18:23 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Relic already tried to do something like this. Here is words of (he does not work in Relic anymore)
jump backJump back to quoted post1 Mar 2016, 19:09 PMbC_
I cant speak for the other departments but you can blame me for that as well.. but for balance I consult Luvnest, Ciez, Lemon, Dusty and many more other community figures to do feedback and balance testing on. Mirage_FLA has been a person that has been mentioned and we will be reaching out to him shortly to join our Illuminati organization.

Again if anyone of you wishes to work at Relic and are qualified for any of these postions visit: http://www.relic.com/#careers

Hell i'll even refer you.

My position close to WhiteFlash's one. Especially his last sentence.

12 Apr 2016, 18:51 PM

I would support but only if it was made by our true legends like Sierra, Vetlolcake and their heirs PenalRat, SorryWTF or aaa :hansGASM::hansGASM::hansGASM:
12 Apr 2016, 20:22 PM

I would support but only if it was made by our true legends like Sierra, Vetlolcake and their heirs PenalRat, SorryWTF or aaa :hansGASM::hansGASM::hansGASM:

I would love to see such abomination, even better idea, we will create 5 teams for each faction, totally isolated from each other and with absolute freedom, it will be glorious. :hansWUT:
12 Apr 2016, 20:28 PM

FUCKING NO.

I've been apart of several exclusive balance forums and trust me, being good at the game doesn't mean you have one clue on how to balance things.

What ends up happening is everyone argues about skill level/player cards and forming clique's.

Having someone at Relic to lead balance, while taking into account community feedback, is important.
12 Apr 2016, 20:38 PM

There is some precedent for community patches as the last couple of vCOH patches were largely community driven. While it would be great if relic would work with the competitive community to patch the game it would be enough if they would at a minimum take the bugfixes that already exist in community mods and implement them into the live game. It's pretty silly when Mirage and Cruzz have fixed bugs in their mods that still exist in the live game.
12 Apr 2016, 20:59 PM
Senior Caster Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Apr 2016, 17:56 PMluvnest

+1
12 Apr 2016, 21:03 PM
Benefactor 115

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Apr 2016, 17:56 PMluvnest

I'd say 5 is a bit of an understatement.
12 Apr 2016, 21:19 PM

The only way community work can have a significant impact on the game is by including mods in automatch.

It would divide the player base though and we'd likely end up with tank DOTA as the most played game mode.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 62
unknown 17
Germany 16

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak