Login

russian armor

I need some BRIT guidance.

12 Apr 2016, 14:41 PM

as you can tell (playercard), i have only played 1 game using the brits.

i am bored playing as USF, so i wanted a change.

i wanted to try my hand at the brits. Do the brits have a vanilla mobile indirect fire unit (kat, panzerwerfer, walking stuka, etc), or only via a commander ?

what are the useless (UP) units to avoid, and what units are good to use ?

i just wanna know how to best utilize the brit faction.

or should i go back to playing as soviets ?

12 Apr 2016, 14:45 PM

1) Nope. Mattress doctrine only (there is suxton, but you're better of lobbing nades, doing arty shot sounds with your mouth).

2) Whole arty regiment is useless. All others are good.

3) Watch some streams, you can't play brits like USF or sov, so you'll have a shock with the playstyle change.
12 Apr 2016, 15:07 PM

i really am not interested in playing a faction without any decent vanilla indirect fire. i find it wayyyyy 2 useful to deal with german shrek blobs.

so maybe i need to just go back to playing soviets...
12 Apr 2016, 15:11 PM

Playing as brits you get good at avoiding indirect fire shots really quickly. That or die horribly.

Avoid Anvil specialization until you're used to the brits. In particular avoid the standard Churchill. Hammer and Comets are the way to go (don't forget the white phosphorous round at vet1!).

I'd probably also avoid the Centaur depending on game mode. It has quite a niche role and generally you're just better off going for a Cromwell.
12 Apr 2016, 15:12 PM

i really am not interested in playing a faction without any decent vanilla indirect fire. i find it wayyyyy 2 useful to deal with german shrek blobs.

well brits are quite intresting once you got into them ...
12 Apr 2016, 15:12 PM

Well, either get used to mortar pit or get the proper doctrinal options.

Plus, for the shreck blobs, brits have crocs and AVRE.
12 Apr 2016, 15:18 PM

Mortar pits have huge range and are very useful at dealing with blobs, especially when they are vetted, which happens quite fast. When the enemy blobs a lot I just build two of them next to each other and that part of the map is off limits for blobs. You just need to think ahead as to where to place them. Losing an emplacement early on hurts quite a lot. Bofors is good for defending your mortar pits and fending off infantry, light and even medium vehicles. Its garrison ability is fuggin great too. It pretty much insta-pins blobs and forces them to either retreat or get decimated.
12 Apr 2016, 15:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Apr 2016, 15:18 PMalfik

Mortar pits have huge range and are very useful at dealing with blobs, especially when they are vetted, which happens quite fast. When the enemy blobs a lot I just build two of them next to each other and that part of the map is off limits for blobs. You just need to think ahead as to where to place them. Losing an emplacement early on hurts quite a lot. Bofors is good for defending your mortar pits and fending off infantry, light and even medium vehicles. Its garrison ability is fuggin great too. It pretty much insta-pins blobs and forces them to either retreat or get decimated.

Why do people believe pits get any combat improvements?

Vet3 pit is as effective as vet0 pit.
The only thing that makes it better is garrison bonus.
Vet gives pure survival bonuses.

Same goes for bofors.

12 Apr 2016, 18:56 PM

12 Apr 2016, 18:59 PM

You don't need mortar pits or fancy commanders to play Brits.

12 Apr 2016, 19:11 PM

i wanted to try my hand at the brits. Do the brits have a vanilla mobile indirect fire unit (kat, panzerwerfer, walking stuka, etc), or only via a commander ?

Brits core indirect fire is their base HQ. With tommies with the pyrotechniques upgrade or a sniper you can call in barrages anywhere on the map except for command sectors. You can also use the Artillery commander for his global base arty or the Sexton. The emplacements commander can also toggle each base structure to enter counterfire mode where they will automatically barrage any enemy artillery units. (Which is honestly kind of broken right now.) Anvil doctrine and each tier upgrade improve the effectiveness of this barrage.

People will argue all day whether or not this arty is effective. Personally, I like it a lot as area denial. Place it in front of your enemy and they won't be able to walk through it for 20-30 seconds, forcing them to go around or take damage.

Brits are a very unique faction with a myriad of playstyles. However, their units are more like Ostheer than America or Soviets. Tommies cannot fight on the move: they must be in cover to be effective. Sappers and Commandos are great short range troops and both benefit greatly from weapon upgrades and the Vickers is the mG42's bigger brother with passive bonuses to attack range when garrisoned and armour piercing damage with veterancy. The universal carrier has extremely high damageoutput as well and decent armour to small arms fire, making it really strong in the early game. In the mid game it's a great unit to give the command vehicle bonus too and keep near the rest of your army for significant bonuses.

I would recommend honestly just playing with them and trying things for yourself. Decide what units you like and don't like and see if they fit your style. Copying what other people do is bad form.
13 Apr 2016, 19:39 PM

1. As others have mentioned, the Brits really lack in this area but they make up for it with a great mortar pit. If you're worried about blobs then the cromwell is your best friend. It is so fast and powerful that you might as well run over entire fields of (slightly more bloody) wheat and it would come out with the same effect.

2. Royal Artillery is horrible, don't even try. Infantry Section is useful (and necessary) for its medic ability but the engineers are generally considered as better mainline infantry. Vanilla Churchill is not worth the investment.

In contrast: The Cromwell, Firefly, 6-pounder AT gun, Bofors, and Comet are all really solid units. Be warned with the Firefly though, it will lose in any one on one fight with another tank (once even lost a firefly to a puma because of my noobishness) unless you spend the 100 munitions for Tulip rockets. It is a fantastic "sniper" tank but definitely meant for the front lines.

3. I really enjoy playing the British, they are weaker in the early game (mostly have to focus on holding the area you can rather than taking everything) but after that they only get stronger as time goes on.
13 Apr 2016, 19:42 PM

is the AVRE vanilla or commander only unit ?

well on the one hand its "vannilla" bc you get it with a doc when you buy the british forces
on the other hand its only in a doctrine
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS