Login

russian armor

Best commanders?

4 Apr 2016, 16:39 PM

Hello, newbie here, what are the best commanders for Ost, OKW, Sov and UKF?
4 Apr 2016, 17:31 PM

OST - Not so commander dependent, probably the faction with the most viable commanders. Popular ones are Spearhead, Lightning War, Mobile Defense, Ostruppen and Elite Troops. Assault Support and Mechanized Assault are also pretty good (just don't try to spam Assault Grens).

OKW - Luff. Ground and Scavenge are probably the 2 most popular. Breakthrough and Spec. Ops are pretty solid. I like to keep Firestorm in my loadout for Urban Maps (flamers get bonus damage vs. buildings).

Sov - You can never go wrong with Shock Rifle or Guards Motor Coordinations. Lend-Lease is pretty solid. Armored Assault is becoming popular and I like Advanced Warfare and Shock Army myself.

UKF - Vangaurd, Mobile Assault, Advanced Emplacement (Cancer) Regiment are probably top tier. Commando and Special Weapons are pretty good too. Royal Artillery is trash - don't even try.

USF (if you care) Tactical Support, Heavy Calvary, followed by your preference of Rifle Company, Infantry, Airborne, and maybe Armor (mostly for M10s). Recon is pretty terrible, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Edit: There used to be a commander tier guide on here but I can' find it anywhere... might have been deleted. It would be semi-outdated now since a lot of the new commanders that are popular aren't on it.
4 Apr 2016, 17:33 PM

There is no best, there is useful for your strategy. But if you ask me which are OPs, then the answer is, tiger ace and stug-E commanders for OST, IS-2 commander for SOV, Calliope commander for USF, churchill commanders for UKF. There is no OP commander for OKW since the OKW itself is OP.
4 Apr 2016, 20:08 PM

EtherealDragon

Erguvan

Thanks!
4 Apr 2016, 20:40 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Commander tiers isn't deleted but there were problems with it... Lemme explain.

1 the way it was formatted after I updated it(my fault), it needs work. The reason I haven't got around to doing that is #2:

2. people assumed the guide was "selling good unpopular commanders short"
now I'm a believer in non meta, unique strats. I encourage you to try every commander to fit your tastes, style, map, fetish, etc. like others have said in this thread, there's a lot more to it than "this is da best commandah play it 1000x"

However, I also know when something is straight garbage, will lose you a game by selecting it, is subpar, bugged, overshadowed, and generally and not worth using over a "power" commander. Especially when I've literally watched hundreds of replays, many more casts, and played thousands of hours myself.

The shit post fest that will inevitably occur when I rate "German infantry" or too low, is extremely annoying and off putting for the work I put into making content like that. It literally drives me insane. So I kinda got upset and didn't bother "fixing" the guide and getting it re visibled.

Now, if there's enough new players, rusty players, out of meta players, returning players, whatever players that want to see that guide return, sure, ill bust my right nut to get it back up ASAP. But otherwise it will remain in the coh2.org oblivion vortex known as invisible land.
4 Apr 2016, 21:15 PM

For starting out with UKF I'd recommend either Royal Engineer or Mobile Assault.

The former gives you a bit of breathing space for any emplacements you use and a cheap tank with a BFO gun.

Mobile assault gives you some ways of taking garrisons and generally strengthens your weak early game.

Despite being nerfed into oblivion by incessant whingeing I still think Tactical Support is strong and Vanguard probably the best of the lot. You need to know how to play them though.

The Brits have weakish units and rely on their commanders, the one I'd stay away from is advanced emplacements. You'll never beat a decent player with it and it is awful for 1v1s.
4 Apr 2016, 21:48 PM

Commander tiers isn't deleted but there were problems with it... Lemme explain.

1 the way it was formatted after I updated it(my fault), it needs work. The reason I haven't got around to doing that is #2:

2. people assumed the guide was "selling good unpopular commanders short"
now I'm a believer in non meta, unique strats. I encourage you to try every commander to fit your tastes, style, map, fetish, etc. like others have said in this thread, there's a lot more to it than "this is da best commandah play it 1000x"

However, I also know when something is straight garbage, will lose you a game by selecting it, is subpar, bugged, overshadowed, and generally and not worth using over a "power" commander. Especially when I've literally watched hundreds of replays, many more casts, and played thousands of hours myself.

The shit post fest that will inevitably occur when I rate "German infantry" or too low, is extremely annoying and off putting for the work I put into making content like that. It literally drives me insane. So I kinda got upset and didn't bother "fixing" the guide and getting it re visibled.

Now, if there's enough new players, rusty players, out of meta players, returning players, whatever players that want to see that guide return, sure, ill bust my right nut to get it back up ASAP. But otherwise it will remain in the coh2.org oblivion vortex known as invisible land.

what do you expect of us now, a big apology? you put up the guide, you deal with the feedback.
4 Apr 2016, 22:53 PM

ill bust my right nut to get it back up ASAP.

You do realise 'busting your nut' means you are going to jizz right?

4 Apr 2016, 22:54 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

You do realise 'busting your nut' means you are going to jizz right?

yes im gonna jizz all over that guide baby :hansGASM:
12 Apr 2016, 17:50 PM

If you are playing UKF then you have a lot of really solid options. The only bad commander is Royal Artillery (as already stated). The other person was right when he said not to even try that one. Sexton is notoriously terrible and the Valentine comes out too late to be useful as a light tank.

Fortifications doctrine is the favorite right now and everyone hates it. If you are just starting as the UKF then work with other doctrines, you won't learn too much if you play cancer doctrine.

Vanguard is an extremely strong doctrine. Raid is a fantastic and cheap ability, the glider gives you a forward retreat point, the ability to buy commandos(350mp)/medics (200, I think?) at cost, *and* an air landing officer (elite infantry unit) for only 90 more manpower than if you got a normal forward retreat base. Vehicle repair is a solid enough ability but the weakest in the doctrine imo. Strafing support is very nice. It won't destroy an area like Air Supremacy, but in a big/important fight it can definitely turn the tide. The Crocodile Churchill tank got banned from tournaments for being too good, 'nough said. All in all, it has a great mix between munitions ability and call in units. Extremely versatile and definitely my favorite.

Mobile Assault is strong. Flamethrowers on Royal engineers makes an already cost-effective unit great. Advanced Cover isn't that great at 75 munitions cost. Infiltration commandos are very useful on more house-oriented maps to plop behind enemy lines and take a cut off point. Land Mattress (in my opinion) is currently the strongest artillery in the game, I expect it to get nerfed soon. Same deal with vehicle repairs.

Commando is another favorite of mine. It is EXTREMELY munitions heavy, but the abilities are extraordinarily strong. Air supremacy in particular is a munitions dump but it will make your enemy completely abandon the area. It is very well feared, and for good reason. Assault is a useful for its recon but not too much else, use it if you *need* to find something (OKW trucks in particular) but little else. Smoke raid is useful in a pinch but is likely the weakest of the abilities. Mortar cover is awesome to destroy blobs during a big push. Commandos are always great and really fun.

I will admit I haven't played Tactical support much, but it used to be the strongest before it got nerfed in the last patch. Extremely munitions heavy but not a bad choice if you use it right.

Special Weapons is my third favorite. Tank hunter infantry are extremely useful for fighting vehicles and light tanks (don't try using them against anything above a lynx though) and will help you survive the early game. Don't generally get the halftrack (due to the fuel cost) but it is extremely useful in team games since it would allow you/your team mates reinforce on the move. Hold the Line is only really useful in 1v1's and, even then, it's pretty questionable at a 250 munitions cost. Fun to use but its effectiveness isn't up to par. Concentrated Barrage is a useful ability for taking out tanks or finishing off OKW forward bases. A good player can usually avoid it though so it's best at breaking down defensive positions. Again, crocodile tank was banned for a reason.

Not a fan of royal engineer, personally. None of the abilities are particularly useful except for maybe the command vehicle and the AVRE is decent but not worth getting the doctrine over.
24 Apr 2016, 10:42 AM

As an Osteer player, I think of things more towards direct counters. So I generally try to think of the most popular doctrines I'm going up against and which one of my doctrines counter them. For instance* USF Pershing is pretty popular, and I believe Festung Armor with the Command Tank and Pak 43 is the direct counter to the Pershing Commander.

Why? The Pershing Commander lacks artillary to deal with a campy pak 43, while the pak 43 is a great counter for the pershing, and if your'e able to kill it with only spending manpower in exchange that's a very good exchange, similar to that of killing a queen with a rook or something of that sort. But anyways I believe the elements within this doctrine gives you all of the necessary tools to deal with a USF Pershing Player.

Again just an example. Thanks.
24 Apr 2016, 22:59 PM

yes im gonna jizz all over that guide baby :hansGASM:

Cookiez pls :wub:
27 Sep 2017, 10:45 AM

OST - Not so commander dependent, probably the faction with the most viable commanders. Popular ones are Spearhead, Lightning War, Mobile Defense, Ostruppen and Elite Troops. Assault Support and Mechanized Assault are also pretty good (just don't try to spam Assault Grens).

OKW - Luff. Ground and Scavenge are probably the 2 most popular. Breakthrough and Spec. Ops are pretty solid. I like to keep Firestorm in my loadout for Urban Maps (flamers get bonus damage vs. buildings).

Sov - You can never go wrong with Shock Rifle or Guards Motor Coordinations. Lend-Lease is pretty solid. Armored Assault is becoming popular and I like Advanced Warfare and Shock Army myself.

UKF - Vangaurd, Mobile Assault, Advanced Emplacement (Cancer) Regiment are probably top tier. Commando and Special Weapons are pretty good too. Royal Artillery is trash - don't even try.

USF (if you care) Tactical Support, Heavy Calvary, followed by your preference of Rifle Company, Infantry, Airborne, and maybe Armor (mostly for M10s). Recon is pretty terrible, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Edit: There used to be a commander tier guide on here but I can' find it anywhere... might have been deleted. It would be semi-outdated now since a lot of the new commanders that are popular aren't on it.
when you say If oyu care a lot of people paly USF
27 Sep 2017, 14:14 PM

when you say If oyu care a lot of people paly USF

Because OP didn't mention USF in his post... also, Holy Necrobump batman!
29 Sep 2017, 11:37 AM

Because OP didn't mention USF in his post... also, Holy Necrobump batman!
Stop with necro dude just asking
29 Sep 2017, 12:02 PM

Stop with necro dude just asking

Then start a new thread. Meta hence change a lot since 2016 and people will only get confused by first posts from 2016
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★