Login

russian armor

Is it too late to get into this game?

28 Mar 2016, 17:43 PM

Hi there, got the game 2 months ago and after beating the campaigns and doing some AI battles I decided to try playing some 1v1 because that's what I like to do in RTS games.

So far I'm not having a great time. Judging by how long it takes to find a game I'm guessing there's not many players left and the ones that did stick around are very good by now. They are wiping the floor with me. Apparently even after losing 4 games in a row the matchmaker thinks I'm a great player and serves me 60% WR opponents.

My faction of choice is Wehr and I can't even beat basic strats like rifle or conscript blobs. They somehow just overwhelm me even if I outplay them in the early game and manage to get a squad wipe.

Not sure how best to train for 1v1 apart from just getting hammered non-stop and trying to learn something. AI battles are pointless as I can beat the expert AI easily by now.

Am I too late to the COH 2 party? Thanks.
28 Mar 2016, 17:49 PM

Its never to late to join.

And you're not looking for a game for a long time because there is few players, but because last patch relic has changed matchmaking algorithm, so it now looks longer to find opponent of your skill instead of quicker games, but big skill difference between players.

First 10 games are placement games, you'll be matched against both, noobs and pros to evaluate your skill.

You end up where you really should be after about 20 games.

So you pretty much have to go through newbie period, like everyone before you.
It gets harder if you just played comp stomps as people play completely different way in mp.

Takes time to get used to and if you don't enjoy 1v1, try 2v2.
28 Mar 2016, 17:49 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Mar 2016, 17:49 PMKatitof
Its never to late to join.

And you're not looking for a game for a long time because there is few players, but because last patch relic has changed matchmaking algorithm, so it now looks longer to find opponent of your skill instead of quicker games, but big skill difference between players.

First 10 games are placement games, you'll be matched against both, noobs and pros to evaluate your skill.

You end up where you really should be after about 20 games.

So you pretty much have to go through newbie period, like everyone before you.
It gets harder if you just played comp stomps as people play completely different way in mp.

Takes time to get used to and if you don't enjoy 1v1, try 2v2.

+1
28 Mar 2016, 17:58 PM

I think what greatly increases your skill is to watch some matches every now and then.

Search for the Propagandacast or Generals Gentlemen Shoutcast. It helps getting a feeling for the pace of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyUcNdOxXcVt3o9eZKdza9w
https://www.coh2.org/topic/15601/generals-gentlemen-shoutcasts
28 Mar 2016, 18:08 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Mar 2016, 17:58 PMButcher
I think what greatly increases your skill is to watch some matches every now and then.

Search for the Propagandacast or Generals Gentlemen Shoutcast. It helps getting a feeling for the pace of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyUcNdOxXcVt3o9eZKdza9w
https://www.coh2.org/topic/15601/generals-gentlemen-shoutcasts

Thanks I'll take a look.

Looks like we're going to have to do this the hard way: submit replays for review. :help:
28 Mar 2016, 18:28 PM

Join, and bring your friends and family.
28 Mar 2016, 18:37 PM

the learning curve is kinda brutal in coh2, so be prepared to suffer quite a bit. but if you enjoy the gameplay you will get better, espically if you watch replays and streams like already suggest.

the game is very unforgiving even if you only take a days to week break, so it makes it a alot easier to play on a regular basis (like in every game but i can pick up cs:go after 6months and still do pretty good, not so in the coh franchise)
28 Mar 2016, 20:15 PM

I agree with all the above.

i did find it a bit annoying that some basic stuff is not taught so well by the game itself, like the way cover works and most efficient ranges for units. One has to pick up on the on the forums/streams/youtube.
28 Mar 2016, 20:22 PM

I have created a replay topic if anyone wants to have a look: https://www.coh2.org/topic/51132/new-player-trying-to-get-into-the-game
28 Mar 2016, 21:36 PM

Hi there, got the game 2 months ago and after beating the campaigns and doing some AI battles I decided to try playing some 1v1 because that's what I like to do in RTS games.

So far I'm not having a great time. Judging by how long it takes to find a game I'm guessing there's not many players left and the ones that did stick around are very good by now. They are wiping the floor with me. Apparently even after losing 4 games in a row the matchmaker thinks I'm a great player and serves me 60% WR opponents.

My faction of choice is Wehr and I can't even beat basic strats like rifle or conscript blobs. They somehow just overwhelm me even if I outplay them in the early game and manage to get a squad wipe.

Not sure how best to train for 1v1 apart from just getting hammered non-stop and trying to learn something. AI battles are pointless as I can beat the expert AI easily by now.

Am I too late to the COH 2 party? Thanks.

watch some top players games, study cover and maps
28 Mar 2016, 21:40 PM

not at all.

2 years later I still suck at the game but still play it everyday. It's not one of those games where the community has been whittled down to hardcore tryhards.
28 Mar 2016, 22:02 PM

the learning curve is kinda brutal in coh2, so be prepared to suffer quite a bit. but if you enjoy the gameplay you will get better, espically if you watch replays and streams like already suggest.

the game is very unforgiving even if you only take a days to week break, so it makes it a alot easier to play on a regular basis (like in every game but i can pick up cs:go after 6months and still do pretty good, not so in the coh franchise)

maybe because CS has the complexity of peeling a banana?
28 Mar 2016, 22:25 PM

I'm still trying to pick the right faction tbh. I've spent the most time so far playing Ostheer because in a past life I was a 1v1 Warcraft 3 player with over 6K matches played online. My tactic every game was to be in their face, non-stop harassing and trying to end the game within the first 10 minutes. I'm trying to do the same in COH 2. I thought Ostheer would be good for this because of AssGrens and Osttruppen which allow for early game map control.

Maybe that's the not the right faction for this playstyle?
28 Mar 2016, 22:31 PM

I'm still trying to pick the right faction tbh. I've spent the most time so far playing Ostheer because in a past life I was a 1v1 Warcraft 3 player with over 6K matches played online. My tactic every game was to be in their face, non-stop harassing and trying to end the game within the first 10 minutes. I'm trying to do the same in COH 2. I thought Ostheer would be good for this because of AssGrens and Osttruppen which allow for early game map control.

try OKW or US for early game aggression, ost is more defensive suited for mid-late game. ostheer is probably the hardest faction to play anyway because it relies on combined arms ALOT
28 Mar 2016, 22:35 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Osttruppen can work well, but Ost and UKF are the worst factions for early game aggression. Try USF, it sounds just like what you are looking for.

I recommend playing all the factions, of course. Once you get good it is easy to apply the same skills to other factions.
28 Mar 2016, 22:38 PM

Thanks, OKW and USF look interesting. I'd probably also find games faster as USF since everyone seems to be searching as Axis these days lol.
29 Mar 2016, 00:52 AM

Ostheer is probably the hardest faction to play these days. If you're going for the aggressive play style USF or OKW are the best for that. Ostheer is more about surviving to mid-late game then grinding the opponent down through attrition and map control. Regardless if you want to learn the game you need to play all the factions to understand their mechanics, timings of key units etc. As for your comment on squad wipes, they are a normal part of the game now, although OH does suffer more due to its smaller squads. It's not like in CoH1 where a wipe could easily cost you the game.

As for learning the game there are plenty of guides out there which cover stuff from the absolute basics right through to detailing the obscure mechanics the game doesn't explain. Playing team games is a way to dip your toes in with less pressure than 1v1 but you'll learn slower and probably pick up bad habits along the way. Watching a few replays is always good if you want to put the time into that.

It's not too late to start playing the game, there is still a fairly active playerbase. It looks like post-release support is largely coming to an end so the meta is becoming more stable. It's hard to predict these things but vCoH was populated until the release of CoH2. If that's any guide then we could expect a few more years for CoH2, although it's a generally inferior game to vCoh so I doubt it will last as long.
29 Mar 2016, 08:56 AM

Finding someone to mentor/coach you will get you rolling with the game in no time, learning the gane alone takes a loooong time
29 Mar 2016, 11:55 AM

Wehrmacht is IMO currently the hardest faction to play as you have to micro your units very well. There is no possibility of a blob of doom as it is with OKW/USF and the tanks are very cost intensive along with teching and building the buildings.

Wehr (I prefer calling it Ostheer) has by far the hardest time against some Allied strategies (e.g. British Hardcore Emplacements) and the metagame revolves all around the pay2win commanders. The ones you get for free are simply not good. There is not a single commander that is nearly as good as the premium ones.
29 Mar 2016, 11:57 AM

There is not a single commander that is nearly as good as the premium ones.

Yeah, I realized that early on, so I invested in a few premium ones: Mech Assault, Osttruppen and Elite troops.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★