Login

russian armor

1v1 / 2v2 - Anyone using Churchills?

16 Mar 2016, 14:58 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Mar 2016, 14:54 PMRollo

Interesting, now if they allow you to fire in the FoW again artillery reg+anvil might actually be worth it for peppering med trucks and command tank blobs

Really my main beef with the 25pdrs is just how slow and obvious they are, you walk up, throw a smoke grenade which is pretty much a giant sign for "I am firing here" and then 10 seconds later something happens.

Comet willie pete still seems like the safer and more reliable team weapon counter

Royal Arty regiment can blind fire again. Haven't really tested it with anvil against med truck inf blobs though.
16 Mar 2016, 15:48 PM

On the topic of Churchills, I'm struggling to see why the main gun is a nerfed version of the Cromwell's gun (historically they're the same weapon). The stats are nearly identical, but the Churchill has a longer reload for some reason. If anything it means the vet 1 hull defense guns are just making up for the damage lost from the main gun.

Likewise, the Cromwell has better veterancy bonuses at vet 3. It's just one more reason why Cromwells are a better choice that the Churchill.

If they keep the current Churchill cost, I'd argue at the very least they should up the rate of fire to match the Cromwell. It might help the Churchill keep pace in the end game a bit better.
16 Mar 2016, 16:55 PM

If you were going to design a vehicle as a training tool for shreck blobs what would it look like?

Well it would have armour of 170 or below, would have a lot of HP, be either very slow or stationary and wouldn't be able to fire back.

Now the Churchill can fire back and has a little bit more armour but other than that might as well have been designed by Hans Von Seekt.
16 Mar 2016, 17:01 PM

Only churchill that i use is avre. Anvil churchill is dead unit, crocodile is overpriced.
16 Mar 2016, 17:01 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Mar 2016, 14:58 PMtenid

Royal Arty regiment can blind fire again. Haven't really tested it with anvil against med truck inf blobs though.

Just played a couple of games and it seems this is the case again

25pdr HE is pretty useless still but once you get canister combined with Artillery reg you can reliably wipe LEIG's through the FoW for 100muni a pop (this combined with forward mortar pit is pretty gud)

16 Mar 2016, 17:10 PM

Sup,

Everything is in the title.
I haven't come across someone using Churchills instead of Comets. Myself, I always use Crom's or wait for Comet's if the situation allows it.

Is there a reason to go for Churchills apart from damage soaking unit?
For the people that go Churchill in 1v1 or 2v2's, why do you chose for the unit instead of the Comet?

Thanks!

why should I go for Churchill when with the same resource (including the tech for anvil) I can get two Cromwells and earlier?! and it pays back much better 100 % of the time and serves AT and AI still better than one Churchill, plus u have the ultimate mobility

Going for Comet can make sense sometimes, but Churchill I can't find a convincing reason to go for it 99.99 % of the time, for the reason I mentioned.

About the "damage sponge", yes Churchill can take a lot of damage for it's high HP, but Comet and Cromwell have much higher speed and can get away from taking damage in the first place. Churchill and Cromwell, and most of the time Comet all lose to panther for example, but considering their speed difference the faster tanks can pull out while the slower takes more shots before you can pull out
16 Mar 2016, 17:58 PM

Might have to give the artillery commander another whirl.

Been meaning to for ages just for the Valentine smoke - though I'm sure once I rediscover how quickly they die I'll throw it away again. :) Saying that the Val might be the answer to pesky 222s - think it comes out too late but worth a whirl.

"why should I go for Churchill when with the same resource (including the tech for anvil) I can get two Cromwells and earlier?"

Think I'd just about rather have a Comet than 2 Cromwells, mainly due to the amount of micro you need with them. No way on earth I'd swap a Churchill for two Croms though. Even if it had twice the firepower missing out on the squish wouldn't be worth it.
16 Mar 2016, 18:39 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Mar 2016, 17:10 PMAladdin

why should I go for Churchill when with the same resource (including the tech for anvil) I can get two Cromwells and earlier?! and it pays back much better 100 % of the time and serves AT and AI still better than one Churchill, plus u have the ultimate mobility

Sure. I would also go for 2x Cromwells instead of Anvil & Churchill.

However, if I had to choose among:
- 4 Cromwells
- 3 Cromwells and Anvil
- 2 Cromwells, Anvil & Churchill

I would say that this depends on the map and the situation (did I lose my Cromwell fleet, and I'm pressured to replace it? Am I half-way through a 2hr game on Langreskaya?). Obviously, in a 2vs2 and up, nothing prevents you from providing the Churchill, while your allies keep the pressure up with cheaper medium tanks.

As the tried-and-tested m10-spam has shown us time and time again, having a higher concentration of fragile tanks does not necessarily increase your army's efficiency. Pathing is at least as important as hard cost-to-efficiency numbers.
16 Mar 2016, 22:46 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Mar 2016, 17:01 PMRollo

Just played a couple of games and it seems this is the case again

25pdr HE is pretty useless still but once you get canister combined with Artillery reg you can reliably wipe LEIG's through the FoW for 100muni a pop (this combined with forward mortar pit is pretty gud)

Thanks for changing back your signature man, it makes my day!
18 Mar 2016, 21:12 PM

Maybe Mr.Smith's vet fix has more credence than I thought with regards the Churchill. Lone double shrecked Volks can get vet 3 without even destroying it!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★